Request for consultation
The new, Eighth Edition of RETAILING combines the text's signature in-depth coverage of fundamental retailing principles with cutting-edge updates on the latest trends and practices in today's fast-paced retail market. Retailing is constantly changing and adjusting to competitive, technological, society and consumer needs. This book emphasizes the creative and analytical aspects of retailing, with special emphasis on the impact of the Internet and continuing changes in the global economy. Authors Dunne, Lusch, and Carver draw on their expertise as seasoned instructors and retail authorities, including abundant, real-world examples and case studies to help students understand the intricacies of retail management. Endorsed by the National Retailing Federation, RETAILING features a conversational writing style and a vibrant, full-color format with strong student appeal, as well as a streamlined structure of 14 chapters that can easily be covered in one term. The text also includes a built-in study guide with review questions, writing and speaking exercises, cases covering diverse retail operations, an interactive spreadsheet case, and other activities to give students hands-on experience applying key concepts and developing the creativity and analytical skills required for a successful career in the retail industry. In addition, challenging "Planning Your Own Retail Business" exercises focus on problems small business managers and owners face in day-to-day operations, helping students appreciate the financial impact of retail decisions. Also, the book focuses on some of the major trends in retailing which include more emphasis on design and fashion, e-tailing, global expansion, innovation, entrepreneurship, social media, and service. Finally, the book has a focus on explaining how retail decisions and strategy influence the financial performance of the retailer. Available with InfoTrac® Student Collections http://gocengage.com/infotrac.
- Cases for chapters and Parts of book helps students apply theories and concepts to actual retail firms such as Macy's, Buffalo Wild Wings, Zumiez and Target.
- Boxed inserts are included on service retailing, new trends, and the inside story of how decisions and strategy is developed at actual retail enterprises. This provides the student with more in-depth retail industry examples, recent trends and developments that will get them more engaged in learning. It also exposes the student to new trends, services, and global aspects of retailing and makes course more practical and interesting. End of chapter study guide and learning exercises assist the student in developing communication skills and critical thinking. Helps student to understand what it takes to launch a retail business and involves the student in field projects to gain further insight.
- InfoTrac® Student Collections are specialized databases expertly drawn from the Gale Academic One library. Each InfoTrac® Student Collection enhances the student learning experience in the specific course area related to the product. These specialized databases allow access to hundreds of scholarly and popular publications - all reliable sources - including journals, encyclopedias, and academic reports. Learn more and access at: http://gocengage.com/infotrac.
- The House spreadsheet software enables the student to develop in-depth knowledge of how retail decisions influence a firm's performance.
- Retail Strategy Focus (in both chapter 2 and concluding chapter 14) puts the student in the driver's seat in terms of strategic action in retailing.
- Created by the authors, the RETAILING Web site offers myriad teaching and learning resources, including additional true/false and multiple-choice questions for every chapter to help students review and apply the text material, a section devoted to retailing career choices, and ongoing updates and new examples of retailing concepts and practices covered in the chapters.
- RETAILING equips students with a solid understanding of the various activities that retailers conduct on a daily basis and how they interrelate, skillfully illustrating how retailers must use both creativity and analytical skills in order solve problems and pursue opportunities in today's fast-paced environment.
- Included in every chapter, unique boxed features relate real-world examples to text material, often while incorporating humor or highlighting innovative business strategies. "Retailing: The Inside Story" presents interesting details of a specific retailing event or decision, while "Global Retailing" highlights key trends and events in international retailing. "What's New?" explores the impact of technology (especially the Internet) on retailers, and "Service Retailing" addresses issues unique to service providers.
- Each chapter closes with a thorough study guide, including review, discussion, and multiple-choice questions tied to learning objectives, while Writing and Speaking Exercises (mini cases) help instructors bolster oral/written communication skills and teamwork, and a Retail Project requires students to visit a library or Web site to complete exercises.
- Covering the spectrum of retail operations, case studies integrated throughout the text present important retailing issues through real-world stories of department stores, specialty shops, direct retailing, hardware stores, grocers, discount and convenience stores, and more.
1. Perspectives on Retailing.
2. Retail Strategic Planning and Operations Management.
Part II: THE RETAILING ENVIROMENT.
3. Retail Customers.
4. Evaluating the Competition in Retailing.
5. Managing the Supply Chain.
6. Legal and Ethical Behavior.
Part III: Market Selection and Location Analysis.
7. Market Selection and Retail Location Analysis.
Part IV: Managing Retail Operations.
8. Managing a Retailer's Finances.
9. Merchandise Buying and Handling.
10. Merchandise Pricing.
11. Advertising and Promotion.
12. Customer Service and Retail Selling.
13. Store Layout and Design.
Part V: Retail Administration.
14. Managing People.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Resource CD-ROM
The Instructor’s Resource CD-ROM includes an overview of each chapter, several detailed teaching tips on presenting the material, a detailed outline, and answers to questions for review and discussion, as well as suggestions for handling the writing and speaking exercises, retail projects, cases, and "Planning Your Own Retail Business" exercises. The IRCD also includes the test bank in ExamView and Word, PowerPoint slides, "The House" spreadsheet project, and the instructor’s manual.
CourseMate with Career Transitions 2.0 Instant Access
CourseMate with Career Transitions 2.0 Instant Access
Cengage Learning's CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support the printed textbook. Maximize your course success with the integrated eBook and chapter-specific learning tools that include flashcards, quizzes, videos, and more in your CourseMate. Key Features: Interactive eBook, Engagement Tracker, Learning Objectives, Tutorial Quizzes, Glossary and Flashcards, and Web Links and References.
Flash Cards, 1 term (6 months) Instant Access
Flash cards are effective study aids especially when you only have a limited amount of time. These flash cards work with your title and can help you to review and learn essential terms and key concepts. This is instant access product; at the completion of your purchase, simply go to "My Home" and gain immediate access to your product. Note: If you have purchased CourseMate for your title, flash cards are already included.
Quizzing, 1 term (6 months) Instant Access
Quizzes are effective study aids especially when you only have a limited amount of time. These quizzes work with your title and can help you to review and learn essential terms and key concepts. This is instant access product; at the completion of your purchase, simply go to "My Home" and gain immediate access to your product. Note: If you have purchased CourseMate for your title, quizzes are already included.
Quizzing with Flash Cards, 1 term (6 months) Instant Access
Flash cards and quizzes are effective study aids especially when you only have a limited amount of time. These flash cards and quizzes work with your title and can help you to review and learn essential terms and key concepts. This is instant access product; at the completion of your purchase, simply go to "My Home" and gain immediate access to your product. Note: If you have purchased CourseMate for your title, flash cards and quizzes are already included.