Request for consultation
This practical résumé-building and employment guide takes readers step-by-step through the process of crafting a polished résumé and developing strong interview techniques. It is the only résumé manual on the market specifically geared toward those who enter the job market with a two-year degree, although it is equally applicable to four-year graduates. Numerous examples allow readers to develop a résumé that best suits their career goals, and information on electronic résumé formatting and delivery prepares readers to use today's online resources in their employment search. The guide also provides a direct, simplified approach to the entire employment process by discussing employment databases, cover letters, networking, and job applications.
- In recent years, the job application process has gone almost completely digital, especially for the kind of entry-level jobs most graduates will be applying for, so the fourth edition puts a heavy emphasis on the technical aspects of résumés and applications. The authors focus on everything from the basics, such as how to submit a résumé as an attachment, to more advanced topics, such as designing your résumé to look great in any digital presentation.
- Expanded coverage of networking to include current online social media tools, such as LinkedIn and other industry-specific resources.
- New coverage on etiquette of job application, particularly in cover letters and follow-up thank-you notes.
- Additional focus has been added to emphasize the significance of résumé appearance in making an initial impact on prospective employers.
- Exercises on listing qualifications, producing a first draft, gathering references, completing application forms, techniques for answering interview questions, and drafting a follow-up letter all help students build a well-defined career-entry strategy.
- The dedicated chapter on the interview process coaches students on proper interview attire, preparing for interview questions, introductions, and how to follow up after an interview.
- Focus questions are featured at the beginning of each chapter to enable students and faculty to spotlight key points presented on each topic.
- The first chapter features a sample résumé to assess student's proofreading skills and knowledge of résumé preparation.
- This text is specifically geared toward students receiving a two-year degree. Two-year degree students learn to showcase their education, work experience, and extracurricular activities within a variety of résumé formats. Current résumé samples for both two-year and four-year graduates in different formats and for a variety of majors are included.
- A key chapter, "Networking--The Hidden Job Market," introduces students to the art of networking, a practice the authors feel is responsible for a large percentage of job finds.
- Numerous samples shown include e-mail résumés, employment applications, simplified one-page résumés, and cover letters.
2. Identify your Strengths to Construct a Qualifications Summary and Superior Resume.
3. Developing the Key Sections of a Resume.
4. Essentials and Examples in Resume Presentation.
5. Resume Formats, Styles, and Applications.
6. Researching Prospective Employers Online with Tips on Salary Negotiation.
7. Cover Letters.
8. References, Attachments, and Employment Application.
9. Resume Submission and Follow-up.
11. The Interview.
Appendix A. Resumes for Four-Year Graduates.