Request for consultation
Featuring a full color design with a wide range of photos and figures that reflect today's construction practices, this Fourth Edition has been updated throughout to ensure that students stay current with industry standards and trends. Known for its basic, step-by-step approach, RESIDENTIAL CONSTRUCTION ACADEMY: BASIC PRINCIPLES FOR CONSTRUCTION, 4E, is ideal for those beginning a career in the building trades industry. Readers will find thorough, up-to-date coverage of basic skills and important tasks necessary for success in the field, such as work ethics, safety procedures, construction mathematics, communications, print reading, and common tools. Unlike traditional building trade volumes, Huth's popular book also provides information on construction careers. Created in partnership with the Home Builders Institute (HBI), the workforce development arm of the National Association of Home Builders (NAHB), the Residential Construction Academy Series is the only program based on the National Skill Standards for residential construction.
- Updated safety content reflects the latest OSHA regulations.
- Coverage of green construction and green certification programs has been updated to reflect changes in the industry.
- Updated coverage of building codes, permits, and zoning laws ensure that students have the most relevant and up-to-date information.
- New "Success Stories" in every chapter demonstrate concepts in action.
- Comprehensive coverage of a solid range of topics makes this a must-have guide for students beginning in the industry.
- Detailed color photos and illustrations highlight important concepts and familiarize first-timers with the latest equipment and procedures.
- Coverage of basic math concepts and work ethic guidelines provide students with important material often overlooked in traditional building trades books.
- Summaries at the end of every chapter provide a "built-in study guide" to ensure student mastery of key points.
1. Organization of the Industry.
2. Working in the Industry.
3. Green Construction.
SECTION II: SAFETY.
4. Jobsite Safety.
5. Safety with Ladders, Scaffolds, and Machines.
SECTION III: CONSTRUCTION MATH.
6. Whole Numbers.
9. Linear Measure.
10. Percent (Percentage).
11. Area and Volume.
12. Right Angles.
13. Combined Operations.
14. Hand Tools-Selection, Use and Care.
15. Power Tools-Selection, Use, and Care.
SECTION V: PRINT READING.
20. Alphabet of Lines.
21. Use of Symbols.
22. Plan Views.
24. Sections and Details.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Updated to match the Fourth Edition's new content, exercises, and problems,the IG provides teaching tips or guidelines, essay questions, answers to review and test questions, key objectives, glossary, appendices, and exercises for content reinforcement.
The Instructor Resources include an Instructor's Manual, Computerized Test Bank in ExamView, and other resources to speed lecture and exam preparation.
The student workbook helps readers retain key chapter content through chapter objective questions, key term definition queries, multiple choice, fill in the blank, and true or false problems.
Succeed in the course with this practical student workbook featuring chapter objective questions, key term definition queries, multiple choice, fill in the blank, and true or false problems.