Request for consultation
Packed with innovative resources readers can use now and throughout their careers, best-selling YOUR CAREER: HOW TO MAKE IT HAPPEN, 8e delivers a comprehensive, step-by-step guide to finding and keeping a job. Both empowering and encouraging, the book effectively breaks the daunting prospect of marketing oneself to prospective employers into a manageable process. Each chapter provides practical advice and actions that readers can apply to their own situation and goals. Guided activities for each part of the process help students build a strong foundation for current and future job searches, teaching them how to stand out from the crowd and be a strong candidate for jobs in a career field for which they are well suited and will enjoy. Ideal for a course on Professional/Career Development, Job Search, Resume Writing, and Interviewing, YOUR CAREER, 8e offers thorough coverage of career self-assessment, employer research, job search/interviewing, self-marketing, and career building strategies. The text also contains extensive instructions and examples of market-driven electronic, traditional, and Web resumes and cover letters.
- Offering intriguing insight into real-world issues, ten profiles feature real people talking about career management and job search issues. The profiles include five experts--such as an HR manager and a college career center director--as well as five people with whom students can immediately identify, including a young job seeker, a new hire, and an involuntary mid-career job seeker.
- "Career Transitions" is a comprehensive, self-paced application that walks job seekers through the entire employment process--from assessing interests and requirements, to exploring the best career paths, to making direct progress toward landing a job or finding a sustainable career.
- CourseMate for Your Career helps learners "Make the Grade". Better studying leads to better results. CourseMate helps students maximize their study time by accessing everything they need to succeed--in one place. Students can read their textbook, take notes, review flashcards, watch videos, and take practice quizzes--all online with CourseMate.
- Several chapters include a social media feature that encourages students to use social networking in their job search, emphasizing the importance of social media in today's job searches.
- The book includes an expanded emphasis on workplace ethics.
- Self-marketing and self-branding is emphasized throughout.
- A removable "Job Search Quick Reference" is included in the back of the text, offering students a handy tool to use in interviewing and networking situations. It includes quick access to the job seeker's frequently used information and questions, space for vital information and qualifications, common and tricky interview questions, and resume and job "power" words.
- A "Jump Start Your Career" activity starts the conversation for each chapter, prompts lively classroom discussion, and encourages students to sharpen their critical thinking skills.
- "Make It a Habit" spotlights winning behaviors and strategies for growing professionally.
- "Watch Out" features alert students of behaviors to avoid.
- "Trial Run" interactive and role-playing activities model the desired outcomes of the chapter. Each activity requires peer or self-evaluation.
- Expansive yet focused, the powerful Instructor Guide helps busy instructors create a cohesive learning experience for students.
- Complete Self-Assessment Tools enable readers to easily evaluate their progress.
- Practical Assignments focus on individual career goals--not generalized theories--so readers can actively take charge of their job searches and careers.
- More than 50 Career Action worksheets help students apply chapter content and advice to their own unique situations. Additional worksheets are included on the text website. Extremely flexible, the worksheets can be used individually or in groups, in class or as homework. Students create personal reference documents that are helpful now as well as whenever they want to improve their job situation. Guided assessments prompt students to think about their preferences, personal traits, and other topics they may not have thought about before.
- Detailed instructions help students create and maintain an extremely useful career management tool--the Career Management Files Tracker. Through practical, hands-on application, the personal content of the Tracker motivates students to take its development seriously. Student's custom creates a resource that will be helpful immediately and throughout their entire career.
- The robust website offers extensive activities, tools, and resources--linking learners to the best career advice and job search sites. Linked sites are vetted and can be trusted to present valid, accurate advice. The website equips instructors with additional and/or alternative assignments, while giving students many resources and many ways to use them--now and after the course ends. It includes all Career Action worksheets from the text, employment forms, model documents with formatting guidelines, chapter review worksheets, sample job search documents, and material from the appendices.
1. The Job Search Process.
2. Know What Employers Expect.
3. Know Yourself to Market Yourself.
Part II: SOURCES OF JOB INFORMATION.
4. Your Winning Network.
5. Research Careers and Find Job Leads.
Part III: ESSENTIAL JOB SEARCH DOCUMENTS.
7. Job Applications and Cover Letters.
Part IV: THE JOB INTERVIEW.
8. Interview Essentials.
9. Ask for--and Get--the Interview.
10. Interview Styles and Questions.
11. Interview Like a Pro.
Part V: GOING FORWARD.
12. Following Up and Negotiating Offers.
13. Handling Rejection.
14. Take Charge of Your Career.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero is a flexible, online system that allows you to: author, edit, and manage test bank content from multiple Cengage Learning solutions; create multiple test versions in an instant; deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom or wherever you want.
Records Management Simulation
Records Management Simulation provides realistic activities for filing and retrieval of both physical and electronic records in a business environment. Rules are compatible with ARMA International guidelines. This set of practical learning materials consists of 13 filing jobs in which students practice physical document filing in alphabetic, subject, consecutive numeric, terminal-digit numeric, and geographic filing systems as well as requisition/charge-out and transfer procedures. A data CD includes report sheets to be filled out by students after they complete each job, finding test forms, simulated e-mail messages, and files for use with database applications.
Records Management Simulation
Records Management Simulation provides realistic activities for filing and retrieval of both physical and electronic records in a business environment. Rules are compatible with ARMA International guidelines. This set of practical learning materials consists of 13 filing jobs in which you can practice physical document filing in alphabetic, subject, consecutive numeric, terminal-digit numeric, and geographic filing systems as well as requisition/charge-out and transfer procedures. A data CD includes report sheets to fill out after you complete each job, finding test forms, simulated e-mail messages, and files for use with database applications.