Request for consultation
Clear, concise, and current, REAL ESTATE LAW, 9th Edition, combines practical legal examples with theory and case law to give business and real estate majors a comprehensive picture of the field. Rather than using a state-specific format, this fully updated edition covers real estate law generally, offering discussions, short case summaries, longer teaching cases, exhibits, and practical applications that help students spot the issues, apply legal principles to realistic situations, and recognize when to consult an attorney. Coverage of ethical concerns and public policy matters sparks insightful, in-depth discussions on key issues relating to real estate law.
- UP-TO-DATE COVERAGE: Updated case summaries, current teaching cases, updated and expanded discussions of ethical issues, and coverage of new legal developments and issues ensure the most up-to-date content.
- CONTEMPORARY, REAL LIFE TOPICS: Relate key issues to students' own lives with discussions on the issues surrounding the Occupy Wall Street movement and private property, the Americans with Disabilities Act and public accommodations, and Zillow.com and its effects on real estate values. Also included are new discussions about alternative dispute resolution in real estate and new developments in homeowner's insurance.
- CURRENT ENERGY-RELATED AND ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUES: New coverage of the most current energy-related and environmental topics, such as wind and solar power, energy usage disclosure laws, new developments in the Endangered Species Act, sustainability requirements in homeowners associations, and new developments in hydraulic fracking for oil and natural gas highlights recent developments.
- THE LATEST LANDLORD/TENANT ISSUES: New legal issues discussed include rent control, sexual harassment of tenants, and medical marijuana and landlord and tenant liability.
- NEW MORTGAGE CRISIS INFORMATION: The most up-to-date material available on the Mortgage Electronic Registration Act (MERS), ghost neighborhoods and foreclosure, and the Consumer Finance Protection Bureau and its new functions regarding mortgages has been added. Also discussed are mortgage servicers and the Dodd-Frank Act, as well as the new merger of RESPA and TILA requirements for mortgages.
- CURRENT INDUSTRY-RELATED ISSUES: The Fair Housing Act, Castle Doctrine, and new state laws post-Kelo bring students up-to-date on the latest issues.
- ETHICAL ISSUES: "Ethical and Public Policy Issues" features in each chapter provide information that sparks insightful, in-depth discussions on key issues relating to real estate law.
- ONLINE LECTURE TOOLS: Custom-create lively classroom presentations with ready-to-use PowerPoint® slides that tie directly to chapter content.
- EASY-T0-UNDERSTAND: Chapter-opening learning objectives alert students to the concepts they should understand, while engaging chapters build upon one another to illustrate various types of real estate transactions and tell the real estate "story."
- IN-CHAPTER CASES: "Case in Point" features summarize cases, illustrating chapter concepts with examples.
- END-OF-CHAPTER CASES: Longer, excerpted teaching cases show how the laws came about, helping students apply the principles they learn in the text and illustrating the impact they have on everyday real estate transactions. "End-of-Chapter Case" features summarize these cases so students can gain a basic understanding before referring to the full excerpted case.
1. Introduction to the Legal System.
2. The Nature of Property.
3. The Scope of Real Property.
4. Rights in Land of Others.
Part II: THE REAL ESTATE TRANSACTION.
5. Types of Ownership.
6. The Search for Real Estate.
7. The Real Estate Contract.
8. Title and Insurance.
9. Financing the Real Estate Purchase.
10. Closings and Taxation: Other Methods of Acquisition.
11. Landlord and Tenant.
Part III: LAND USE AND REGULATION.
12. Rights and Duties of Landowners and Occupants.
13. Legal Planning and Regulation of Land Use.
14. Environmental Law and Regulation.
"Well written, clear, well organized, supported by appropriate case law."
"One of the best written textbooks I ever have used. It is interesting to read as well as VERY informative."
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Digital Video Library 1-Semester Instant Access
Offering four kinds of videos for classroom or student review, our Business Law Digital Video Library includes 67 online video clips that bring business law alive, particularly for the visual learner. These video clips also help bridge common experiences to legal ideas, spark student discussion, and tutor core concepts. The library includes clips in the following areas: Legal Conflicts in Business (modern business scenarios at an ad agency and a dot.com company); Ask the Instructor (straightforward concept explanations for student review, featuring an actual business law instructor); Drama of the Law (classic legal business scenarios designed to spark class participation featuring scenes from a supermarket and a car dealership); LawFlix (widely-recognized, modern-day movie clips that link the seemingly tangible reality of film scenes to abstract topics in law, offering students an intriguing visualization of concepts that are often hard to grasp in textbooks and lectures. Access for students is free with a new textbook, or can be purchased at www.cengagebrain.com.