Request for consultation
A practical and hands-on study of the laws affecting real property, Marianne Jennings's REAL ESTATE LAW continues to bring to life the law of real estate ownership, transfer, and development while examining the day-to-day transactions of the real estate marketplace. Continuing her tradition of lively case selection and clear discussion of the rules and regulations of real estate, this text has been praised for its practical approach in assisting students as well as real estate professionals to recognize, prevent, and solve legal problems in this exciting field.
- New cyber law chapter with discussion of Facebook and Twitter issues, especially with employers.
- New cases on rent control.
- New discussion of sex offenders living next door.
- Updated information on sick building syndrome.
- New discussion on rights of condo owners.
- New discussion of contracts formed through emails.
- Discussion of MERS and problems with titles and foreclosure from this electronic recording system.
- Chapter 33 Consumer Protection--includes coverage of the new Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.
- Real property includes coverage of underwater mortgages and foreclosure issues.
- Included discussion of federal Mortgage Reform and Anti-Predatory Lending Act in response to subprime crisis.
- Updated section on Why We Study Real Estate to respond to the subprime collapse.
- New discussion of airspace following Causby case.
- Updated water rights issues.
- New discussion of right of unmarried cohabitants.
- New cases on types of leases and notice of termination.
- Organizational Update and Expanded Topics: The chapters on contracts and transfers have been changed in their order to allow you to understand contracts before we learn about how transfers take place. The chapter on mortgages has been rewritten to reflect the dramatic shift in regulation in this area. The chapter on land development has, once again, been reorganized and revamped to reflect new issues and the downturn in real estate development.
- Cases: In addition to new cases, all have been edited for better student understanding, while revised questions challenge the students' critical thinking skills. In addition, new cases have been added to the "Consider" feature as well as new chapter problems in every chapter.
- Ethical Issues: These questions take the student beyond just the legal issues and ask them to evaluate conduct for its fairness and honesty in fact.
- Case Selection and Updates: This edition contains cases pertaining to many issues affecting the real estate market, including environmental issues, foreclosures, eminent domain, unmarried cohabitants, and home owners' associations.
- Excerpted Cases: Case facts are summarized by the author, and the opinions are presented in the language of the court.
- Innovative Pedagogy: Each chapter contains "Consider . . ." features that encourage development of students' critical-thinking skills by applying the rule of law to a slightly different fact scenario. Additional "Practical Tip" sidebars relate useful pointers for all those practicing real estate law.
1. Introduction and Sources of Real Estate Law.
2. Land Interests: Present and Future.
3. Extent of Real Estate Interests.
4. Nonpossessory Interests in Real Estate.
7. Describing Land Interests.
PART II: REAL ESTATE OWNERSHIP.
8. Co-ownership of Real Estate.
9. The Landlord-Tenant Relationship.
10. Commercial Leases.
11. Real Estate Communities: Multiunit Interests and Owners' Associations.
PART III: TRANSFERRING TITLE TO REAL ESTATE.
12. The Broker's Role in the Transfer of Real Estate.
13. The Purchase Contract.
14. Methods of Transfer and Conveyance in Real Estate.
15. Financing in the Transfer of Real Estate.
16. Closing the Deal.
17. Transferring Real Estate after Death: Wills, Estates, and Probate.
PART IV: REAL ESTATE AND ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT.
19. Constitutional Issues in Real Estate.
20. Environmental Law.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Web Site
Find everything you need for your course in one place. This collection of book-specific lecture and class tools is available online via www.cengage.com/login. Access and download PowerPoint® presentations, images, instructor’s manual, videos, and more.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing, Powered by Cognero®, is a flexible, online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions. Create multiple test versions in an instant and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.