Request for consultation
Packed with cutting-edge coverage that includes the latest theory and practices from the field, QUALITY AND PERFORMANCE EXCELLENCE, 8e has three primary objectives: familiarize students with the basic principles and methods, show how these principles and methods have been put into effect in a variety of organizations, and illustrate the relationship between basic principles and the popular theories and models studied in management courses. Extremely flexible and student friendly, the text is organized according to traditional management topics, helping students quickly see the connections between quality principles and management theories. Discussions of the Baldrige criteria are updated to reflect 2015-16 criteria. The eighth edition also includes new examples, experiential exercises, and case studies. Providing practical experience, many cases focus on large and small companies in manufacturing and service industries in North and South America, Europe, and Asia-Pacific.
- Using real-world examples to bring text concepts to life, each chapter begins with a “Performance Excellence Profile” highlighting a recent Baldrige recipient whose practices have particular relevance to the chapter material.
- The eighth edition includes numerous changes to maintain its cutting-edge coverage and signature student-friendly style. Discussions of the Baldrige criteria are updated to conform with the 2015-16 criteria, while many other minor updates are integrated throughout. New boxed examples, discussion questions, experiential exercises, and cases are included as well.
- Real-world cases illustrating key ideas and themes covered in the chapters offer students hands-on opportunities to sharpen their critical-thinking skills.
- Extremely flexible, QUALITY AND PERFORMANCE EXCELLENCE, 8e meets the unique needs of you and your students. After chapters 1 and 2, all other chapters can be sequenced in almost any order.
- Unlike most books on quality, QUALITY AND PERFORMANCE EXCELLENCE, 8e is organized according to traditional management topics. This student-friendly organization helps readers see the parallels between quality principles and management theories in areas such as organizational design and leadership.
- Part I, Foundations of Quality and Performance Excellence, presents core principles and begins to explain how they relate to familiar management concepts.
- Part II, Performance Excellence, Strategy, and Organization Theory, introduces the importance of quality and performance excellence from a strategic perspective, the idea of customer-supplier relationships, and the role of organizational design.
- Part III, Performance Excellence and Organizational Behavior, discusses the themes of teamwork and empowerment as well as relates quality to the topics of groups and motivation.
- Part IV, Leadership and Organizational Change, deals with practices for making performance excellence a part of today’s modern organizations, focusing on leadership and the journey to performance excellence.
1. Introduction to Quality and Performance Excellence.
2. Frameworks for Quality and Performance Excellence.
3. Tools and Techniques for Quality Design and Control.
4. Tools and Techniques for Quality Improvement.
Part II: PERFORMANCE EXCELLENCE, STRATEGY, AND ORGANIZATIONAL THEORY.
5. Competitive Advantage and Strategic Management for Performance Excellence.
6. Quality in Customer-Supplier Relationships.
7. Designing Organizations for Performance Excellence.
Part III: PERFORMANCE EXCELLENCE AND ORGANIZATIONAL BEHAVIOR.
8. Quality Teamwork.
9. Engagement, Empowerment, and Motivation.
Part IV: LEADERSHIP AND ORGANIZATIONAL CHANGE.
10. Leadership for Performance Excellence.
11. Performance Excellence and Organizational Change.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
This website provides a variety of resources to help students review for class, including chapter outlines, glossaries, flashcards, and learning objectives.
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate content from the text’s test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.