Request for consultation
PUBLIC SPEAKING: THE EVOLVING ART is the first book and integrated technology package to meet the expectations of today's students while both preserving and offering innovative variations on the well-respected traditions of public speaking instruction. Throughout the text, in short video segments, four peer mentors expertly guide readers through the concepts and strategies presented in the text. PUBLIC SPEAKING: THE EVOLVING ART is now available with MindTap Speech. MindTap Speech represents a new approach to a customizable, online, user-focused learning platform. MindTap combines all of a user's learning tools-readings, multimedia, activities and assessments-into a singular Learning Path that guides the user through the curriculum. This unique resource empowers instructors with new assessment capabilities applicable to traditional, online, and hybrid courses.
- NEW SPEECH BUDDY VIDEOS: these new segments, especially produced for this edition, illustrate, and introduce innovative variations on, the time-tested traditions of public speaking instruction. With a student-friendly presentation, the "Buddies" guide users through sound speech-building strategies and demonstrate the concepts presented in the book. Designed to achieve clear goals and pedagogical outcomes, these mentoring tools explain, assist, and model in the framework of a carefully sequenced experience.
- NEW "Apply It in the Workplace" boxes. The successful "Apply It" boxes of the first two editions have been revised and expanded. Building on the concepts presented in the book, this feature encourages students to apply their new public speaking skills both outside the classroom and in professional contexts. The former Apply It boxes, now called "Apply it in Your Community," provide opportunities to use the skills and strategies learned and apply them in the community.
- The third edition features several new student and professional speeches, including fifth-grader Tamia Gaines award-winning speech about Martin Luther King, Jr., (Chapter 10); California Academy of Sciences planetarium staff Michael Josh Roberts giving a presentation on asteroids (Chapter 11); and college student Tara Flanagan's tribute speech about her grandfather (Chapter 16).
- NEW MindTap Speech from Cengage Learning represents a new approach to a customizable, online, user-focused learning platform. MindTap combines all of a user's learning tools-readings, multimedia, activities and assessments-into a singular learning system that guides both the student and instructor through the curriculum.
- PUBLIC SPEAKING: THE EVOLVING ART, teaches the fundamental goals of public speaking while exploring the evolving contexts and digital resources that inform public speaking today. Popular media-oriented examples provide a critical guide for both you and your students to select the ways in which digital culture plays a role in your public speaking course.
- A unique, practical pedagogical system in the text -- "Read it, Watch it, Use it, Review it" -- gives structure to each chapter, and directs students to the easy-to-access online material. "Apply It" Boxes give students an opportunity to use their newly-gained public speaking skills in situations outside of the classroom.
- This text promotes interactive, peer-based learning through integrated video segments in each chapter. The newly updated peer mentors (Speech Buddies) are supportive guides who offer speech-making strategies, visually model both effective and ineffective techniques from research to delivery to use of presentation aids, and add a personal connection in a visual medium familiar to students.
- The text works seamlessly with MindTap Speech; a customizable, online, and user-focused learning platform. MindTap combines learning tools--readings, multimedia, activities and assessments--into a singular learning system that guides both the student and instructor through the curriculum.
1. The Evolving Art of Public Speaking.
2. Building Your Confidence.
3. Ethical Speaking and Listening.
PART II: DEVELOPING AND RESEARCHING YOUR SPEECH.
4. Developing Your Purpose and Topic.
5. Adapting to Your Audience.
6. Researching Your Topic.
7. Supporting Your Ideas.
8. Organizing and Outlining Your Speech.
9. Beginning and Ending Your Speech.
PART III: PRESENTING YOURSELF AND YOUR IDEAS.
10. Using Language Effectively.
11. Integrating Presentation Media.
12. Delivering Your Speech.
PART IV: SPEAKING SITUATIONS.
13. Informative Speaking.
14. Persuasive Speaking.
15. Understanding Argument.
16. Special Occasion and Group Speaking.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Public Speaking: The Evolving Art
Coopman and Lull's PUBLIC SPEAKING: THE EVOLVING ART, 4th Edition, combines time-tested techniques with innovative variations on the well-respected traditions of public speaking instruction to equip you with the skills you need to become a confident, competent, and ethical public speaker. It illustrates the evolution of public speaking as an art form -- from Greek and Roman traditions to the most contemporary forms of public address, including the use of presentation media. Packed with examples from popular culture, it analyzes the public speaking success of such contemporary figures as Bernie Sanders and Malala Yousafzai. It also includes numerous prompts to help you put your new skills into practice -- in the classroom, community, and professional context.
Instructor's Website (with Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero, PowerPoint®, Instructor's Resource Manual)
The Instructor Companion Website includes Computerized Testing via Cognero®, ready-to-use PowerPoint® presentations (with text and images that can also be customized to suit your course needs), Join In for Turning Point clicker questions, and an electronic version of the Instructor's Manual.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.