Request for consultation
Intended to serve as a primary text for Product Design, Capstone Design, or Design for Manufacturing, PRODUCT DESIGN FOR ENGINEERS explores techniques for managing innovation, entrepreneurship, and design. Students are introduced to the creative problem-solving method for product success through case studies that explore issues of design for assembly, disassembly, reliability, maintainability, and sustainability. The book's interdisciplinary approach, step-by-step coverage, and helpful illustrations and charts provide mechanical, industrial, aerospace, manufacturing, and automotive engineering students with everything they need to design cost-effective, innovative products that meet customer needs.
- Using a case study approach in every chapter, this innovative book covers the latest trends, steps, and techniques in creative product design and redesign from basic concepts to production and marketing.
- Case studies featuring step-by-step coverage of key techniques demonstrate the phenomenal success of integrated product and process development at world-class companies such as Boeing.
- Illustrations and charts that can be referred to during the design process help readers master key concepts and techniques.
- Coverage of creative design techniques, ergonomics, visual simulation, software integration, TRIZ and structured innovation techniques, and virtual reality and virtual prototyping as well as creation of an environment for entrepreneurial thinking prepare readers to develop high-quality products.
- The book emphasizes optimization tools, FMEA, and root cause analysis, reflecting recent developments in lean manufacturing and information technology.
- Tables and examples of poor design versus good design prepare readers to make sound decisions in product design and redesign.
- Design guidelines with rationales help readers understand the "whys" behind effective design.
- Design-driven discussions of manufacturing processes that support a system approach to manufacturing are presented, along with the basic equations and data needed to estimate manufacturing and assembly costs.
- Engineering design fundamentals embedded in practical, real-world problems emphasize the importance of systematic selection of process materials and process combinations in creating competitively priced quality products.
- Customer satisfaction and its relationship to product design are emphasized.
2. Customer Focus.
3. Creative Concept Generation and Evaluation.
4. Product Configuration and Design for Function.
5. Design Evaluation - Assessing Design Assembly.
6. Product Evaluation - Assessing Design for Disassembly and Maintenance.
7. Product Architecture - The Impact on Manufacturing.
8. Sustainable Product Design through Reliability.
9. Digital Manufacturing and Virtual Product Prototyping.
10. Additional Case Studies.
"Overall the book is well structured and contained required chapters on Product Design.... The book generally presents the material in a systematic way with adequate number of practical design examples, which should be understandable by undergraduate students in Mechanical Engineering."
"The discussion and illustrations in Chapter 3, "Product Design," are really good with depth in design for manufacturability. Good discussion on Product FMEA and a good discussion on root cause analysis. Good discussion of CAD to product. The discussion on applied OR methods is good and has significant value for product analysis education.... The material is well written with good flow. The illustrations are good--especially for design for manufacturability.... The examples of design for manufacturability are really good.... Engineering approach to design for manufacturability and the product FMEA discussion is really good for the student."
“I am looking forward to using the textbook to elevate the student experience in my course! As a mechanical design Technical Fellow in the aerospace industry, I sponsored many projects in collaboration with Dr. Shetty and found his experience and insight to be a valued asset to myself as well as the students.”
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
A free companion website includes lessons for online-only Chapters 13-22, as well as project pages, 30 hours of free lectures, and a link to free downloadable PTC Creo Student Edition software.