Request for consultation
The goal of Psychopharmacology Demystified is to get the internal light-bulbs of insight to glow by using every-day situations and personal vignettes to illuminate complicated ideas and concepts usinglanguage that nursing students can understand. The text begins with a primer on neuroanatomy and neurophysiology, since this knowledge is a prerequisite for understanding the ensuing chapters covering antidepressants, mood stabilizers, antipsychotics, anxiolytic-sedative-hypnotics and cognitive enhancers, as well as a chapter on substance abuse and addiction. Each chapter begins with a personal story, followed by an overview of the topic, the history of pharmacological management, a review of the major drugs in use, and concludes with current insights and future directions of therapy. While it can be used as a free-standing text, it is meant to be used in conjunction with more traditional psychiatric nursing books and pharmacotherapy textbooks.
- Succinct presentation makes complex subject matter more approachable by students.
- Integrates high quality graphics to illustrate difficult concepts.
- Begins each pharmacological chapter with personal vignettes which drive home the point that, although drugs are the focus of the chapters, real lives are at stake.
- By not embedding the book with copious amounts of information (e.g.,doses, schedules, routes) that can easily be looked up in standard nursing handbooks or on a PDA, this text allows the student to concentrate on concepts rather than on memorizing facts.
- Separates DSM-IV criteria into the appendix which makes chapters more readable and seem less over-whelming than competing textbooks
- Includes review questions with each chapter; answers include rationales.
2. Pharmacotherapy of Depression.
3. Pharmacotherapy of Bipolar Disorder.
4. Antipsychotic Pharmacotherapy.
5. Cognitive Enhancers.
6. Anxiolytic,Sedative and Hypnotic Pharmacotherapy.
7. Neurobiology of Addiction.