Request for consultation
PSYCHOLOGY: MODULES FOR ACTIVE LEARNING is a best-selling text by renowned author and educator Dennis Coon and co-authors John O. Mitterer and Tanya Martini. This fourteenth edition continues to combine the highly effective SQ4R (Survey, Question, Read, Recite, Reflect, Review) active learning system, an engaging style, appealing visuals, and detailed coverage of core topics and cutting-edge research in one remarkable, comprehensive text. Fully updated and reorganized, the new edition builds on the proven modular format and on the teaching and learning tools integrated throughout the text. While the text provides a broad overview of essential psychology topics ideal for introductory courses, its modular design also readily supports more specialized curricula, allowing instructors to use the self-contained instructional units in any combination and order. Also available: the MindTap® digital learning experience.
- New co-author Tanya Martini -- whose research focuses on skill-based learning outcomes in post-secondary education -- expands the perspective offered in the text.
- All-new Skills in Action modules end each module cluster (see modules 6, 11, 16, 22, 26, etc.) These modules take students beyond learning psychology as a set of facts to learning psychology skills that make a difference in life and careers. Topics include information literacy, behaving ethically, giving memorable presentations, leadership, and many others. An added bonus: the modules are consistent with American Psychological Association undergraduate curriculum objectives.
- To improve overall readability, this edition has been rewritten to absorb feature boxes into the primary narrative. In addition, the photos and figures more directly support the book's content and pedagogical objectives.
- While modules may still be covered in any order, they are more richly interlinked in this edition to illustrate the interconnectedness of the field of psychology.
- The module on behavioral statistics has been moved to the Appendix.
- This edition's integration with MindTap®, the digital learning experience available with the text, has been honed. For instance, MindTap® activities incorporate the text's SQ4R learning system, and the text and the MindTap® universal glossary are now completely aligned.
- The authors relate course material to everyday life with an engaging style and frequent use of familiar, relevant analogies. In this edition, analogies and examples that formerly were set off as boxed features have been absorbed into the text narrative.
- Four integrative themes throughout the book spotlight the continued growing importance of neuroscience, the centrality of self-knowledge, and the importance of considering both cultural and gender diversity. Tables illustrating how these themes are repeatedly revisited throughout the book can be found in the preface.
- The SQ4R learning system focuses on active processing, reflection, and critical thinking. The system is integrated throughout the text, with features such as prereading survey questions, critical thinking activities, and study guides to support application of the system and to help students more readily master the material.
- Fully integrated with MindTap®, the text encourages active student engagement by offering intuitive metaphors, constantly inviting self-exploration of key topics, and posing critical thinking questions that invite students to challenge their own "common sense" assumptions.
2. Introducing Psychology: Psychology, Critical Thinking, and Science.
3. Introducing Psychology: Psychology Then and Now.
4. Introducing Psychology: The Psychology Experiment.
5. Introducing Psychology: Nonexperimental Research Methods.
6. Introducing Psychology Skills in Action: Information Literacy.
7. Brain and Behavior: The Nervous System.
8. Brain and Behavior: Brain Research.
9. Brain and Behavior: Hemispheres and Lobes of the Cerebral Cortex.
10. Brain and Behavior: The Subcortex and Endocrine System.
11. Brain and Behavior Skills in Action: Self Regulation.
12. Human Development: Heredity and Environment.
13. Human Development: Emotional and Social Development in Childhood.
14. Human Development: Language and Cognitive Development in Childhood.
15. Human Development: Adolescence and Adulthood.
16. Human Development Skills in Action: Behaving Ethically.
17. Sensation and Perception: Sensory Processes.
18. Sensation and Perception: Vision.
19. Sensation and Perception: The Other Senses.
20. Sensation and Perception: Perceptual Processes.
21. Sensation and Perception: Perception and Objectivity.
22. Sensation and Perception Skills in Action: Communication.
23. Consciousness: States of Consciousness.
24. Consciousness: Sleep and Dreams.
25. Consciousness: Psychoactive Drugs.
26. Consciousness Skills in Action: Metacognition.
27. Conditioning and Learning: Associative and Cognitive Learning.
28. Conditioning and Learning: Classical Conditioning.
29. Conditioning and Learning: Operant Conditioning.
30. Conditioning and Learning: Reinforcement and Punishment in Detail.
31. Conditioning and Learning Skills in Action: Behavioral Self-Management.
32. Memory: Memory Systems.
33. Memory: Measuring Memory.
34. Memory: Forgetting.
35. Memory: Exceptional Memory.
36. Memory Skills in Action: Giving Memorable Presentations.
37. Cognition and Intelligence: Modes of Thought.
38. Cognition and Intelligence: Problem Solving.
39. Cognition and Intelligence: Creative Thinking and Intuition.
40. Cognition and Intelligence: Intelligence.
41. Cognition and Intelligence Skills in Action: Creativity and Innovation.
42. Motivation and Emotion: Overview of Motives and Emotions.
43. Motivation and Emotion: Motivation in Detail.
44. Motivation and Emotion: Emotion in Detail.
45. Motivation and Emotion Skills in Action: Positivity and Optimism.
46. Human Sexuality: Sexual Development and Orientation.
47. Human Sexuality: Gender Development, Androgyny, and Gender Variance.
48. Human Sexuality: Sexual Behavior, Response, and Attitudes.
49. Human Sexuality Skills in Action: Diversity and Inclusion.
50. Personality: Overview of Personality.
51. Personality: Trait Theories.
52. Personality: Psychoanalytic and Humanistic Theories.
53. Personality: Behavioral and Social Learning Theories.
54. Personality Skills in Action: Leadership.
55. Health Psychology: Overview of Health Psychology.
56. Health Psychology: Stressors.
57. Health Psychology: Coping with Stress.
58. Health Psychology: Stress and Health.
59. Health Psychology Skills in Action: Stress Management.
60. Psychological Disorders: Normality and Psychopathology.
61. Psychological Disorders: Psychosis, Delusional Disorders, and Schizophrenia.
62. Psychological Disorders: Mood Disorders.
63. Psychological Disorders: Anxiety, Anxiety-Related, and Personality Disorders.
64. Psychological Disorders Skills in Action: Facing Mental Health Issues.
65. Therapies: Treating Psychological Distress.
66. Therapies: Psychodynamic, Humanistic, and Cognitive Therapies.
67. Therapies: Behavior Therapies.
68. Therapies: Medical Therapies.
69. Therapies in Action: Emotional Intelligence.
70. Social Psychology: Social Behavior and Cognition.
71. Social Psychology: Social Influence.
72. Social Psychology: Prosocial Behavior.
73. Social Psychology: Antisocial Behavior.
74. Social Psychology Skills in Action: Social Responsibility.
75. Applied Psychology: Industrial/Organizational Psychology.
76. Applied Psychology: Environmental Psychology.
77. Applied Psychology: The Psychology of Law, Education, and Sports.
78. Applied Psychology Skills in Action: Getting Ready for Work
Appendix. Behavioral Statistics.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Online Test Bank
Organize your course and capture your students' attention with the resources found in the Test Bank, including multiple-choice, true/false, short-answer, and essay questions -- most with answers and page references for each chapter of the text.
Online Instructor's Resource Manual
Streamline and maximize the effectiveness of your course preparation using such resources as brief chapter outlines, chapter summaries, extensively detailed chapter lecture outlines, lecture suggestions, video suggestions, and creative lecture and teaching suggestions. This manual also contains student learning objectives, key terms, essay/discussion questions, student activities, discussion exercises, and Internet exercises.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to: import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.