Request for consultation
Filled with comprehensive, balanced coverage of classic and contemporary research, relevant examples, and engaging applications, this text shows students how psychology helps them understand themselves and the world-and uses psychological principles to illuminate the variety of opportunities they have in their lives and their future careers. While professors cite this bestselling book for its academic credibility and the authors' ability to stay current with "hot topics," students say it's one text they just don't want to stop reading. Students and instructors alike find the text to be a highly readable, engaging, visually appealing package, providing a wealth of material they can put to use every day.
- Updated book design and layout. A collection of new, eye-catching photos are also integrated into each chapter, where they are placed to reflect the subject matter reviewed in the text.
- The authors have made countless content changes to keep up with new developments in psychology-adding and deleting some topics, condensing and reorganizing others, and updating everything. There are over 1000 new references.
- The Psychology and Environmental Sustainability Appendix, new in the last edition, has been revised for the 11th edition.
- New to the 11th edition is the Reel Research box feature, which highlights important concept by discussing research related to the chapter that has been captured on film. Each chapter includes one Reel Research feature with accompanying discussion questions. The Reel Research features include topics like health and stress, self-regulation, schizophrenia, and internet relationships.
- The authors seamlessly integrate multicultural data into the text. Examples of content include: religion as a cultural source of the fundamental attribution error (Chapter 7); the roles of culture, physical attractiveness, and similarity in relationship development (Chapter 8); expanded cross-cultural coverage on collectivist views on marriage (Chapter 10) and a section on improving cultural sensitivity in treatment (Chapter 16).
- The Personal Explorations Workbook is included in the back of the text (after the references and the indexes to allow easier use by students). The workbook contains experiential exercises, questionnaires, and personality tests that allow students to better understand themselves and their attitudes toward a variety of subjects.
- PSYCHOLOGY APPLIED TO MODERN LIFE: ADJUSTMENT IN THE 21ST CENTURY provides a comprehensive introduction to the psychology of adjustment in a compact, 16-chapter format, complemented by a Personal Explorations Workbook.
- Each chapter includes practical information for students to use in their daily lives. For example, "Recommended Readings" appear throughout the text and serve as mini book reviews of the most influential self-help books published. The reviews cover classic titles as well as the newest releases.
- The thorough end-of-chapter pedagogy supplies tools that support students' success in the course. It includes "Key Ideas," a bulleted summary of the chapter's main points; "Key Terms," a list of important vocabulary; "Key People," a review of important thinkers; and a practice test with answer key, providing students with an opportunity for self-testing of chapter content.
2. Theories of Personality.
3. Stress and Its Effects.
4. Coping Processes.
5. Psychology and Physical Health.
6. The Self.
7. Social Thinking and Social Influence.
8. Interpersonal Communication.
9. Friendship and Love.
10. Marriage and Intimate Relationships.
11. Gender and Behavior.
12. Development and Expression of Sexuality.
13. Careers and Work.
14. Psychological Disorders.
16. Positive Psychology.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Online Instructor's Manual
This detailed manual provides a thorough overview of each chapter and includes a wealth of suggestions for lecture topics, class demonstrations, exercises, and discussion questions, organized around the content of each chapter in the text.
These vibrant Microsoft® PowerPoint® lecture slides for each chapter assist you with your lecture by providing concept coverage using images, figures, and tables directly from the textbook.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to: import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.