Request for consultation
PSYCHOLOGY: FOUNDATIONS AND FRONTIERS offers a fresh and updated approach that combines the appealing content, visuals, and effective features of Douglas Bernstein's two previous introductory psychology textbooks. Focusing on active learning, the text presents important findings from established and current research, emphasizes the many ways psychological theory and research results are being applied to benefit human welfare, and integrates extensive pedagogy. The integrated pedagogical system helps students master the material by supporting the elements of the PQ4R (Preview, Question, Read, Recite, Review, and Reflect) study system. Try This activities illustrate psychological principles or phenomena by encouraging students to learn by doing. Other features designed to promote efficient learning include Linkages diagrams and sections that show how topics in psychology are interrelated, Thinking Critically sections that apply a five-question approach to various topics, and Focus on Research sections that help students think objectively about research questions and results. To offer flexibility in a single-term course, the book includes eighteen chapters that may be assigned in whatever order meets instructors' needs.
- This new introductory psychology text for the one-term course includes 18 chapters that may be taught in any order to accommodate the needs and preferences of instructors.
- Available with MINDTAP PSYCHOLOGY FOR PSYCHOLOGY: FOUNDATIONS AND FRONTIERS, 6th Edition is a personalized teaching experience with relevant assignments that guide students to analyze, apply, and improve thinking, allowing you to measure skills and outcomes with ease. The Psychology: Foundations and Frontiers MindTap learning path will include resources that move students through Bloom's taxonomy utilizing adaptive quizzing, scenario-based experiences, auto-scored writing assignments, and social learning tools.
- An integrated pedagogical system, based on the PQ4R study system, helps students get the most out of their reading. In-chapter learning aids that support the system include a Preview Section to help students survey and question the material, a marginal glossary of terms that match APA key terminology, instructional captions that reiterate core concepts and help students learn to interpret visual information, In Review charts that summarize large chunks of information in a convenient tabular format and provide fill-in-the-blank items to facilitate review, and chapter-ending review material.
- Two types of Try This activities engage students in active learning. First, figure and photo captions, identified by an icon, suggest ways students can demonstrate a principle or phenomenon for themselves. Second, Try This opportunities in the margins ask students to stop reading and do something to illustrate or highlight the principle or phenomenon under discussion. For example, in the sensation and perception chapter, students are asked to focus attention on various targets as a way of appreciating the difference between overt and covert attention shifts.
- The book presents the latest as well as the most established results of basic and applied research on topics that are both important in psychological science and of high interest to students.
- The book emphasizes the many ways psychological theory and research results are being applied to benefit human welfare. It further highlights the diversity of applied psychology with Applying Psychology photos that offer memorable examples. In the learning chapter, for example, a photo illustrates the use of classical conditioning principles in the humane control of predators that can threaten sheep ranchers' livelihoods.
- A special Thinking Critically section in each chapter helps students hone their abilities by modeling critical thinking processes. Bernstein provides a framework for analyzing evidence and drawing conclusions, built around five questions. These five questions first appear in Chapter 1 and are repeated in every Thinking Critically section. Using this simple yet powerful framework, the author explores issues such as subliminal persuasion, recovered memories, and the origins of sexual orientation, to name just a few.
- Focus on Research Methods sections highlight a particular research study to help students appreciate the value of research and the creativity with which psychologists have conducted it. Framed around five questions designed to help readers organize their thinking about research questions and research results, these sections help students see how psychologists have used research to explore phenomena such as learned helplessness, infant cognition, evolutionary theories of helping, and human sexual behavior.
- Linkages help students appreciate and see the scope of psychology by showing them how psychology is an interrelated set of subfields. A Linkages diagram at the end of each chapter presents questions that illustrate three of the ways that material in the chapter is related to other chapters in the book. In addition, one of the questions in the diagram reminds students of the chapter's discussion of that question in a Linkages section.
- An Active Review section at the end of each chapter (part of the integrated study system) includes a Linkages diagram that illustrates three of the ways that material in the chapter is connected to other chapters in the book, a summary organized around major topic headings and the related preview questions, and a 20-item multiple-choice test designed to help students assess their understanding of the chapter's key points prior to taking quizzes and exams.
2. Research in Psychology.
3. Biological Aspects of Psychology.
4. Sensation and Perception.
7. Thought and Language.
10. Motivation and Emotion.
11. Human Development.
12. Health, Stress, and Coping.
14. Psychological Disorders.
15. Treatment of Psychological Disorders.
16. Social Psychology.
17. Industrial and Organizational Psychology.
Appendix A: Statistics in Psychological Research.
Appendix B: Behavioral Genetics.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Online Instructor's Resource Manual
Streamline and maximize the effectiveness of your course preparation using such resources as brief chapter outlines, chapter summaries, extensively detailed chapter lecture outlines, lecture suggestions, video suggestions, and creative lecture and teaching suggestions. This manual also contains student learning objectives, key terms, essay/discussion questions, student activities, discussion exercises, and Internet exercises.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to: import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.