Request for consultation
Teach your students to master the fundamentals of effective programming as they work through Visual Basic 2017’s latest features with PROGRAMMING WITH MICROSOFT® VISUAL BASIC® 2017, 8E by best-selling technology author Diane Zak. The wealth of hands-on applications in this book's engaging real-world setting make this an ideal choice for your introduction to programming course. New hands-on applications, timely examples, and practical exercises address today’s students’ varied learning styles. This edition’s dynamic visual presentation, step-by-step tutorials, and strategically placed activity boxes help even students with no prior programming experience learn how to effectively plan and create interactive Visual Basic 2017 applications. Find the tools you need to prepare the next generation of developers with this comprehensive, practical book and MindTap® digital resources, including an interactive eBook, author videos, and more!
- NEW FORMAT SPLITS EACH CHAPTER INTO TWO FOCUSED LESSONS TO ENSURE COMPREHENSION. The Focus on the Concepts lessons within each chapter allow students to concentrate on the important programming concepts covered in the lesson. The Apply the Concepts lessons give students the opportunity to actually apply the programming concepts covered in the Focus lesson.
- NEW MINI-QUIZZES ALLOW STUDENTS TO TEST THEIR KNOWLEDGE. The se Mini-Quizzes, now included at various points within each chapter, help readers determine if they have mastered the material already covered before continuing with the chapter. The answers for each Mini-Quiz are conveniently located below the questions.
- NEW "ON YOUR OWN" EXERCISES LET STUDENTS EXTEND THEIR PERSONAL LEARNING EXPERIENCES. These interesting new exercises give students the opportunity to create their own unique applications using the concepts covered in the chapter. Exercises include some minimum requirements.
- NEW FIX IT" EXERCISES PROVIDE PRACTICE TROUBLESHOOTING TO REFINE SKILLS. With these exercises students locate and correct the errors in existing applications.
- NEW AND UPDATED APPLICATIONS AND EXAMPLES HIGHLIGHT THE LATEST VISUAL BASIC 2017. Applications and examples in each chapter provide critical hands-on practice working with the latest version of Visual Basic. All exercises are now either new or thoroughly revised to reinforce the latest concepts and developments specific to Visual Basic 2017.
- NEW SCREENSHOTS CLARIFY CONTENT WHILE REFLECTING THE NEW VISUAL STUDIO 2017 ENVIRONMENT. Helpful, vibrant images throughout the text provide students with an up-to-date visual learning experience.
- FULLY REFRESHED EXERCISES EMPHASIZE KEY PROGRAMMING SKILLS. Focused practice at the end of each chapter offers opportunities to practice programming skills using Visual Basic 2017.
- NEW PLANNING CHARTS HELP STUDENTS ORGANIZE THEIR WORK. These helpful Planning Charts replace the previous edition’s TOE charts, making it easier for students to plan their applications.
- AVAILABLE WITH MINDTAP. Cut down on prep with MindTap’s preloaded, organized course materials. Teach more efficiently with interactive multimedia, assignments, quizzes, and more. And give your students the power to read, listen, and study on their phones, so they can learn on their terms.
- EFFECTIVE "YOU DO IT" BOXES ENSURE COMPREHENSION AS STUDENTS PROGRESS. Strategically placed in each chapter, these "You Do It" activity boxes test students' knowledge and check their mastery of concepts throughout each lesson.
- "CHEAT SHEET" APPENDIX PROVIDES QUICK REFERENCE FOR STUDENTS. Appendix C, The "Cheat Sheet" Appendix, summarizes the most important concepts covered in this edition’s chapters, such as the syntax of statements, methods, and other critical aspects of Visual Basic. This summary provides a complete, convenient and reference tool for students.
- CASE PROJECTS APPENDIX REINFORCES PRACTICAL APPLICATION IN TODAY’S BUSINESS WORLD. Appendix D, Case Projects, ties together the concepts from one or more chapters to provide your students with the big-picture. This emphasis places concepts with the larger context that students need to successfully apply Visual Basic skills in today’s world.
- GUI DESIGN APPENDIX PROVIDES ADDITIONAL HELPFUL REFERENCE SOURCE. Appendix B summarizes the guidelines covered in each chapter in one convenient place for handy reference.
- "START HERE" ARROWS DIRECT STUDENTS TO THE BEGINNING POINT IN EACH SET OF STEPS. These arrows allow students to quickly locate the beginning of the tutorial steps sections in the book.
- COVERAGE OF BREAKPOINTS AND STEPPING THROUGH CODE EQUIPS READERS WITH STRONG PROGRAMMING SKILLS. Students gain a thorough understanding of how to set breakpoints and step through code as powerful tools for effectively debugging programs.
- VISUALLY APPEALING PRESENTATION KEEPS READERS FOCUSED ON KEY CONCEPTS AND SKILLS. This edition's functional page design adds excitement while visually guiding students as they master today's Visual Basic concepts and skills.
- INTERESTING, VARIED EXERCISES KEEP PRACTICE ENGAGING AND MOTIVATING FOR TODAY'S STUDENTS. Exercises are clearly differentiated as Introductory, Intermediate, and Advanced for your convenience in making class assignments. Students can also refine their skills with unique "On Your Own" and "Fix It" exercises.
- MINDTAP® DIGITAL LEARNING SOLUTION HELPS TRANSFORM STUDENTS INTO CRITICAL THINKERS. Now available with this text, MindTap® offers additional practice, visualizations, assessments, and a full eReader with unique author-narrated videos.
Read This Before You Begin.
1. An Introduction to Visual Studio 2017 and Visual Basic.
2. Planning Applications and Designing Interfaces.
3. Coding with Variables, Named Constants, and Calculations.
4. The Selection Structure.
5. The Repetition Structure.
6. Sub and Function Procedures.
7. String Manipulation.
9. Sequential Access Files and Menus.
10. Classes and Objects.
11. SQL Server Databases.
12. Database Queries with SQL
13. Web Site Applications.
Appendix A: GUI Design Guidelines.
Appendix B: Additional Topics.
Appendix C: Finding and Fixing Program Errors.
Appendix D: Visual Basic 2017 Cheat Sheet.
Appendix E: Case Projects.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero®, is a flexible, online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate content from the text’s test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions. Create multiple test versions in an instant and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.