Request for consultation
Teach student programmers the fundamental principles of developing structured program logic and prepare them for success with Joyce Farrell’s PROGRAMMING LOGIC AND DESIGN, COMPREHENSIVE, 9E. A popular choice for foundational programming, this comprehensive book takes a unique, language-independent approach to programming with a distinctive emphasis on modern conventions. Noted for its clear writing style and complete coverage, the book eliminates highly technical jargon while introducing universal programming concepts and ensuring strong programming style and logical thinking. Frequent side notes and Quick Reference boxes clarify important programming concepts while chapter objectives, concise summaries, and key terms guide learning. End-of-chapter practice provides multiple-choice review as well as programming, gaming, and debugging exercises, and a maintenance exercise that challenges students to improve working logic.
- COVERAGE OF THE CASE STRUCTURE IS NOW PRESENTED ALONGSIDE CLOSELY RELATED TOPICS FOR A MORE LOGICAL PROGRESSION. This edition’s thorough treatment of case structure now occurs in the Making Decisions chapter (Ch. 4), which better reflects its close relationship to these topics.
- DISCUSSION OF THE "DO-WHILE" STRUCTURE NOW APPEARS IN THE LOOPING CHAPTER. Coverage of the "do-while" structure has been moved from an appendix to the Looping chapter (Ch. 5), where the presentation corresponds with closely related topics. This also provides opportunity for the author to clearly highlight the differences between a "do-while" and a "while" loop.
- THIS EDITION CLARIFIES THE DISCUSSION OF LOOPS. The author has carefully rewritten this edition’s presentation of loops to reduce any possible reader confusion and clearly explain the differences between selections and loops.
- THOROUGHLY UPDATED ADVANCED DATA HANDLING CONCEPTS CHAPTER PREPARES STUDENTS FOR MORE COMPLEX CHALLENGES. Chapter 8 is now rewritten to emphasize the important concepts of sorting rather than details.
- STREAMLINED PRESENTATION FOCUSES ON MOST IMPORTANT CONCEPTS AND SKILLS. To reduce the book’s length and better meeting the needs of a typical Programming Logic semester-long course, this edition has removed chapters covering the UML and databases.
- "UP FOR DISCUSSION" QUESTIONS NOW APPEAR IN THE INSTRUCTOR’S MANUAL. These engaging discussion questions now appear in your Instructor’s manual to reduce the size of each chapter in the student text while still keeping these useful classroom tools at your fingertips.
- MINDTAP® PROVIDES INTERACTIVE LEARNING, STUDY, AND EXAM PREPARATION TOOLS. MindTap® brings programming concepts to life with a wealth of learning resources and study aids, including an eBook with note-taking capabilities, coding labs, interactive quizzing, flashcards, and study games. At least three videos for each chapter, created by text author Joyce Farrell, expand upon key concepts.
- UNIQUE LANGUAGE-INDEPENDENT APPROACH PROVIDES A SOLID FOUNDATION IN PROGRAMMING LOGIC. The author emphasizes modern concepts and programming conventions to build a solid foundation in structured programming logic. Your students develop an understanding of the tools necessary for success, no matter which programming languages they eventually use.
- BUSINESS-BASED EXAMPLES CLEARLY ILLUSTRATE KEY POINTS. Everyday business examples require no special mathematical knowledge beyond high school algebra. These carefully crafted, practical examples clearly demonstrate key points without overwhelming students with extraneous detail.
- WEALTH OF PROVEN PRACTICE OPPORTUNITIES KEEPS STUDENTS ENGAGED AND ACTIVELY LEARNING. Students practice and review what they have learned with chapter-by-chapter Review Questions and intriguing Discussion Questions that are ideal for class debates or writing assignments. Programming Exercises include interesting gaming challenges, while Maintenance and Debugging Exercises improve students’ abilities to critically examine code statements. Popular "Two Truths and a Lie" quizzes provide immediate feedback on how well students understand what they’ve just read.
2. Elements of High-Quality Programs.
3. Understanding Structure.
4. Making Decisions.
7. File Handling and Applications.
8. Advanced Data Handling Concepts.
9. Advanced Modularization Techniques.
10. Object-Oriented Programming.
11. More Object-Oriented Programming Concepts.
12. Event-Driven GUI Programming, Multithreading, and Animation.
Appendix A: Understanding Numbering Systems and Computer Codes.
Appendix B: Solving Difficult Structuring Problems.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor Companion Website
Find everything you need for your course in one place. This collection of product-specific lecture and class tools is available online via the instructor resource center at www.cengage.com/login. You'll be able to access and download materials such as PowerPoint® presentations, images, instructor’s manual, videos, and more.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate content from the text’s test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.