Request for consultation
Prepare beginning programmers with the most important principles for developing structured program logic with Farrell's highly effective PROGRAMMING LOGIC AND DESIGN, INTRODUCTORY, 7E. This popular text takes a unique, language-independent approach to programming with a distinctive emphasis on modern conventions. The book's clear, concise writing style eliminates highly technical jargon while introducing universal programming concepts and encouraging a strong programming style and logical thinking. This edition's clearer, revised explanations utilize flowcharts, pseudocode, and diagrams to ensure even readers with no prior programming experience fully understand programming and design concepts. Farrell's proven learning features help students gain a better understanding of the scope of programming today while common business examples help illustrate key points. New optional CourseMate online learning and study tools offer a complete eBook and Video Lessons by the author to expand on key concepts. Use this proven book alone or with a language-specific companion text that emphasizes C++, Java or Visual Basic for the introduction your students need for solid logic and programming success.
- CAREFULLY REVISED EXPLANATIONS CLEARLY GUIDE READERS WITH NO PRIOR PROGRAMMING EXPERIENCE. Many explanations throughout this edition been carefully revised to provide the clearest possible explanations for readers who have no prior programming experience.
- ADDITIONAL FLOWCHARTING AND PSEUDOCODE-BASED EXERCISES IN EVERY CHAPTER PROVIDE DIVERSE PRACTICE OPPORTUNITIES. This edition offers even more opportunities for readers to practice concepts as they learn. Exercises increase in difficulty as students progress. All exercises are carefully crafted to encourage readers to explore logical programming concepts.
- OPTIONAL COURSEMATE ONLINE RESOURCES PROVIDE INTERACTIVE LEARNING, STUDY AND EXAM PREPARATION TOOLS. CourseMate brings programming concepts to life with a wealth of learning resources and study aids, including an eBook with note-taking capabilities, interactive quizzing, flashcards, and study games. At least three Video Lessons for each chapter, created by the text author, expand on key concepts. Engagement Tracker, a first-of-its-kind tool, helps monitor student engagement in your course. CourseMate is supported by CourseCare for an unparalleled user experience and digital solution. For more information visit www.cengage.com/coursemate.
- UNIQUE LANGUAGE-INDEPENDENT APPROACH PROVIDES A SOLID FOUNDATION IN PROGRAMMING LOGIC. The author emphasizes modern concepts and conventions to cultivate a solid foundation in structured programming logic. Your students establish an understanding of the concepts for success, no matter what programming languages they eventually use to write programs.
- BUSINESS-BASED EXAMPLES CLEARLY ILLUSTRATE KEY POINTS. Everyday business examples require no special mathematical knowledge beyond high school algebra and clearly demonstrate key points without overwhelming students with extraneous detail.
- APPEALING, FULL-COLOR PRESENTATION VISUALLY REINFORCES CONCEPTS WITH HELPFUL CHARTS AND DIAGRAMS. The book's engaging four-color design clearly illustrates challenging programming concepts.
- WEALTH OF PROVEN PRACTICE OPPORTUNITIES KEEPS STUDENTS ENGAGED AND ACTIVELY LEARNING. Students practice and review with Review Questions in each chapter and intriguing Discussion Questions that are ideal for class debates or writing assignments. Programming Exercises include engaging gaming challenges, while Debugging Exercises improve readers' abilities to critically examine code statements. Popular "Two Truths and a Lie" quizzes provide immediate feedback on how well students understand what they've just read.
- FLEXIBLE TEXT APPROACH ALLOWS OPTIONS FOR USING THE BOOK ALONE OR FOR PAIRING WITH A LANGUAGE-SPECIFIC COMPANION TEXT. You have the flexibility of using this complete text in your stand-alone logic course or pairing this book with a companion language primer in C++, Java, or Visual Basic.
- OPTIONAL VISUAL LOGIC SOFTWARE OFFERS A POWERFUL, HANDS-ON RESOURCE FOR PERFECTING LOGIC AND PROGRAM DESIGN. To maximize your students' hands-on practice, Visual Logic software is available with this text. Visual Logic provides a simple, yet powerful, tool for reinforcing logic and program design with flowcharts.
2. Elements of High-Quality Programs.
3. Understanding Structure.
4. Making Decisions.
7. File Handling and Applications.
A. Understanding Numbering Systems and Computer Codes.
B. Flowchart Symbols.
D. Solving Difficult Structuring Problems.
E. Creating Print Charts.
F. Two Variations on the Basic Structures--case and do-while.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor Companion Website
Find everything you need for your course in one place. This collection of product-specific lecture and class tools is available online via the instructor resource center at www.cengage.com/login. You'll be able to access and download materials such as PowerPoint® presentations, images, instructor’s manual, videos, and more.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate content from the text’s test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.