Request for consultation
PROFESSIONAL CATERING equips readers with the knowledge and tools to start and position a competitive catering business. It addresses industry best practices and emerging trends while taking a practical approach to resources that can be used in implementing business plan. Beautifully illustrated with four-color photography, this easy-to-read text is packed with Tips from the Trade, Ingredients for Success, standard operating procedures, checklists, forms, and hands-on applications designed to develop critical thinking skills. Comprehensive information is provided on each functional catering management task--planning, organizing, influencing, and controlling--helping readers strategically craft a long-term strategy to create a profitable catering operation. It also offers thorough coverage of the business plan, finding and keeping the right client, designing a sustainable operation, resolving conflict, social media, managing risk, understanding legal issues, adhering to FDA and OSHA guidelines, partnering with the event planner to exceed a client's needs, and much more. Bringing catering concepts to life, the available CourseMate Web site provides interactive learning tools and video demonstrating standard operating procedures. PROFESSIONAL CATERING is the ideal resource for managing catering profitability.
- Real world step-by-step action plans cover practical topics like starting a catering business, creating winnable marketing strategies, prospecting for new clients, creating sustainable operations, buying china, procuring equipment, resolving conflict, and creating a risk-aversive environment.
- "Tips from the Trade" sidebars provide real-world examples of how to apply catering concepts and best practices.
- "Ingredients for Success," emphasize fundamental catering rulesand show how to reinforce procedures necessary to build a successful career.
- Extensive collection of templated forms, worksheets, and checklists provide hands-on practice opportunities.
- A CourseMate website with an interactive ebook, procedural videos, downloadable forms, interactive quizzes, lab activities, menu and recipe banks, and more is available to accompany this text. It also provides Engagement Tracker to help instructors monitor student progress.
1. The Catering World: Types of Catering.
2. The Caterer and the Client.
3. Establishing the Right Kind of Catering for You.
4. Choosing Your Client.
5. Social Media Marketing.
PART II: THE CATERING OPERATION.
6. The Seven Functions of Catering.
7. Planning--The Basic Catering Management Function.
8. Operations--Execution of Tasks.
9. Organizing the Event.
10. Catering Equipment.
11. Procuring Catering Equipment.
14. Understanding Risk Management, Insurance and Legal Issues.
PART III: GAINING A COMPETITIVE EDGE.
15. Beverage Management.
16. Conflict Resolution.
17. Sustainable Catering: One Ecological Step at a Time.
18. Human Resource Management of Catering.
Appendix A: Ingredients for Success.
Appendix B: Weights, Measures, and Abbreviations.
Appendix C: Sample Business Plan.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
CourseMate Instant Access
Interested in a simple way to complement your text and course content with study and practice materials? Cengage Learning's Hospitality and Culinary CourseMate is available for Professional Catering. This CourseMate includes: an interactive eBook, with highlighting, note taking and search capabilities, interactive learning tools including: Quizzes, Flashcards, Videos, and more! The instructor version of CourseMate includes Engagement Tracker, a first-of-its-kind tool that monitors student engagement in the course. Instructors also have full access to the interactive eBook and other student CourseMate resources.
CourseMate Instant Access
Cengage Learning's Hospitality and Culinary CourseMate is available for Professional Catering. This CourseMate includes: an interactive eBook, with highlighting, note taking and search capabilities, interactive learning tools including: Quizzes, Flashcards, Videos, and more!