Request for consultation
Long considered the standard for honors and high-level mainstream general chemistry courses, PRINCIPLES OF MODERN CHEMISTRY continues to set the standard as the most modern, rigorous, and chemically and mathematically accurate text on the market. This authoritative text features an "atoms first" approach and thoroughly revised chapters on Quantum Mechanics and Molecular Structure (Chapter 6), Electrochemistry (Chapter 17), and Molecular Spectroscopy and Photochemistry (Chapter 20). In addition, the text utilizes mathematically accurate and artistic atomic and molecular orbital art, and is student friendly without compromising its rigor. End-of-chapter study aids focus on only the most important key objectives, equations and concepts, making it easier for students to locate chapter content, while applications to a wide range of disciplines, such as biology, chemical engineering, biochemistry, and medicine deepen students' understanding of the relevance of chemistry beyond the classroom.
- The most powerful online learning solution for chemistry is better than ever. OWLv2 now has more flexible student and instructor functionality, new personalized study tools, enhanced integration with learning management systems, and improved analytics. For this course, OWLv2 also includes Quick Prep, an online short course to review key chemistry concepts and essential skills, new iPad-compatible visualizations, tutorials, and simulations, and new Adaptive Study Plans. In addition, Tutors, Visualizations and Simulations have been converted from Flash to HTML, allowing for easier navigation and streamlined grading.
- This edition also includes major revisions in the chapters on Quantum Mechanics and Molecular Structure (Chapter 6), Electrochemistry (Chapter 17), and Molecular Spectroscopy and Photochemistry (Chap 20), with a focus on clarity of presentation.
- Recognizing that in the top colleges and universities that use this text over 90 percent of students taking introductory chemistry have taken a single variable calculus course in high school, or are taking calculus as a co-requisite for the course, we have improved several portions of the text. These revisions include a more quantitative treatment of the forces and potential energy in molecules, dipole moments, molecular collisions, and the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution of molecular speeds. The concepts of slope and area are introduced in the physical and chemical contexts in which they arise, and differential and integral notation is used in parallel with these concepts. Thus, students with a single-variable calculus background are engaged fully, while students without that background will not be at a disadvantage. Simple vectors are introduced to aid in discussing force and velocity, with a new section in Appendix C covering vectors in Cartesian coordinates.
- OWLv2 is the most trusted online learning solution for chemistry. Featuring chemist-developed content, OWLv2 is the only system designed to elevate thinking through Mastery Learning, allowing students to work at their own pace until they understand each concept and skill. Each time a student tries a problem, OWLv2 changes the, chemistry, values, and sometimes even the wording of the question to ensure students are learning the concepts and not cheating the system. With detailed, instant feedback and interactive learning resources, students get the help they need when they need it. Now with improved student and instructor tools and greater functionality, OWLv2 is more robust than ever. Discover the power of OWLv2 and take learning to a higher level.
- AN "ATOMS FIRST" APPROACH places coverage of structure and bonding early in the text (Chapter 4-6), taking students right into the core topics of the course and helping them build a strong conceptual understanding of chemistry.
- A UNIQUE APPROACH TO LEARNING CHEMICAL PRINCIPLES emphasizes the scientific process from observation to application, placing general chemistry into perspective for serious-minded science and engineering students.
- MATHEMATICALLY ACCURATE MOLECULAR ORBITAL ART helps students visualize how orbital equations translate into the shapes of the orbitals.
- A FOCUS ON PROBLEM SOLVING. Problems are grouped into three categories: 1) Paired problems in the first set are grouped by section, with answers to the odd-numbered paired problems collected in Appendix G so students can check their answer to the first problem in a pair before undertaking the second parallel problem. 2) Additional Problems (unpaired) provide further applications of the principles developed in the chapter. 3) Cumulative Problems integrate material from the chapter with topics presented earlier in the book. More challenging problems are integrated throughout the problem sets and are indicated with asterisks.
- PEDAGOGICALLY IMPORTANT APPENDICES. Appendix A discusses experimental error and scientific notation; Appendix B introduces the SI system of units used throughout the book, describes the methods used for converting units, and provides a brief review of some fundamental principles in physics. Appendix C provides a review of mathematics for general chemistry, including a new section on vectors in Cartesian coordinates. Appendices D, E, and F are compilations of thermodynamic, electrochemical, and physical data, respectively.
1. The Atom in Modern Chemistry.
2. Chemical Formulas, Equations, and Reaction Yields.
Unit II. Chemical Bonding and Molecular Structure.
3. Atomic Shells and Classical Models of Chemical Bonding.
4. Introduction to Quantum Mechanics.
5. Quantum Mechanics and Atomic Structure.
6. Quantum Mechanics and Molecular Structure.
7. Bonding in Organic Molecules.
8. Bonding in Transition Metal Compounds and Coordination Complexes.
Unit III. Kinetic Molecular Description of the States of Matter.
9. The Gaseous State.
10. Solids, Liquids, and Phase Transitions.
Unit IV. Equilibrium in Chemical Reactions.
12. Thermodynamic Processes and Thermochemistry.
13. Spontaneous Processes and Thermodynamic Equilibrium.
14. Chemical Equilibrium.
15. Acid–Base Equilibria.
16. Solubility and Precipitation Equilibria.
Unit V. Rates of Chemical and Physical Processes.
18. Chemical Kinetics.
19. Nuclear Chemistry.
20. Molecular Spectroscopy and Photochemistry.
Unit VI. Materials.
21. Structure and Bonding in Solids.
22. Inorganic Materials.
23. Polymeric Materials and Soft Condensed Matter.
Appendix A. Scientific Notation and Experimental Error.
Appendix B. SI Units, Unit Conversions, and Physics for General Chemistry.
Appendix C. Mathematics for General Chemistry.
Appendix D. Standard Chemical Thermodynamic Properties.
Appendix E. Standard Reaction Potentials at 25°C.
Appendix F. Physical Properties of the Elements.
Appendix G. Solutions to the Odd-Numbered Problems.
"I believe it is written well for an honors-level freshman chemistry course; i.e. it covers all of the basic material but in a way that is more thorough and intelligent than other introductory texts."
"Excellent discussion of the basics from a scientific viewpoint and good illustrations of the principles. Excellent figures and example problems. Excellent homework problems."
"The traditional coverage of atomic and molecular theory has always been a strong point of Principles of Modern Chemistry."
"My opinion this is the ONLY text on the market that so methodically demonstrates an underlying connectivity between chemical processes, molecular structure, and energetics."
"The greatest strength in this book is the mathematical rigor. Students learn in many ways and some need the mathematics. Too many of the general chemistry textbooks (even honors) seem to be taking out mathematics as a way to 'make the chemistry more understandable' instead of keeping the mathematics in and then describing the mathematics in an intuitive manner. The authors have worked on integrating the mathematics and the qualitative description. This has greatly improved the understandability of concepts."
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor Resource Site: Everything you need for your course in one place! This collection of book-specific lecture and class tools is available online via www.cengage.com/login. Access and download PowerPoint presentations, images, instructor's manual, videos, and more.
Student Solutions Manual
Students can prepare for exams and succeed in your chemistry course with this comprehensive solutions manual! Featuring worked-out solutions to every odd-numbered problem in PRINCIPLES OF MODERN CHEMISTRY, 8th Edition, this manual shows students how to approach and solve problems using the same step-by-step explanations found in the textbook examples.
Student Solutions Manual
Prepare for exams and succeed in your chemistry course with this comprehensive solutions manual! Featuring worked-out solutions to every odd-numbered problem in PRINCIPLES OF MODERN CHEMISTRY, 8th Edition, this manual shows you how to approach and solve problems using the same step-by-step explanations found in your textbook examples.