Request for consultation
PRINCIPLES OF BIOCHEMISTRY WITH A HUMAN FOCUS provides pre-med, junior, and senior science majors the most up-to-date coverage of biochemistry and a distinct focus on the topics most relevant to human health and medicine. Written by a chemist (Grisham) and a biologist (Garrett), the book presents biochemistry from a balanced perspective. PRINCIPLES OF BIOCHEMISTRY stresses the principles governing structure, function, and interactions of biological molecules.
1. Chemistry is the Logic of Biological Phenomena.
2. Water: The Medium of Life.
3. Thermodynamics of Biological Systems.
4. Amino Acids and Polypeptides.
5. Proteins: Secondary, Tertiary, and Quaternary Structure.
6. Lipids, Membranes, and Transport.
7. Carbohydrates and Cell Surfaces.
8. Nucleotides and Nucleic Acids.
9. Recombinant DNA: Cloning and Creation of Chimeric Genes.
PART II: PROTEIN DYNAMICS.
10. Enzymes: Their Kinetics, Specificity, and Regulation.
11. Mechanisms of Enzyme Action.
12. Proteins of the Blood.
13. Molecular Motors.
PART III: METABOLISM AND ITS REGULATION.
14. The Organization of Metabolism.
16. The Tricarboxylic Acid Cycle.
17. Electron Transport and Oxidative Phosphorylation.
19. Gluconeogenesis, Glycogen Metabolism, and the Pentose Phosphate Pathway.
20. Lipid Metabolism.
21. Amino Acid and Nucleotide Metabolism.
22. Metabolic Integration and Organ Specialization.
PART IV: INFORMATION TRANSFER.
23. DNA: Replication, Recombination, and Repair.
24. Transcription and the Regulation of Gene Expression.
25. Protein Synthesis and Degradation.
26. Signal Transduction: The Relay of Metabolic and Environmental Information.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Electronic Study Guide
Instructor's Resource CD-ROM
A teaching tool containing all the images and tables from the book.
Contains chapter summaries, detailed solutions to all end-of-chapter problems, additional problems with answers, self-tests, important definitions, and illustrations of major metabolic pathways.
Electronic Study Guide
Electronic Lecture Online
The perfect way to prepare for exams, build problem-solving skills, and get the grade you want! Easy access to describe (ex: detailed explanations, worked-out examples, and practice problems. Lists key ideas and builds problem-solving skills).