Request for consultation
Offering a uniquely modern, balanced approach, Tussy/Koenig's PREALGEBRA, Fifth Edition, integrates the best of traditional drill and practice with the best elements of the reform movement. To many developmental math students, algebra is like a foreign language. They have difficulty translating the words, their meanings, and how they apply to problem solving. Emphasizing the "language of algebra," the text's fully integrated learning process is designed to expand students' reasoning abilities and teach them how to read, write, and think mathematically. It blends instructional approaches that include vocabulary, practice, and well-defined pedagogy with an emphasis on reasoning, modeling, communication, and technology skills.
- The authors have done an extensive revision on the application problems to continue to keep them current and relevant.
- Additional medical applications have been added to section 6.4 Metric Units of Measurement; Medical Applications.
- An appendix on probability has been added, along with a Study Set so that students can reinforce their mastery of the topic.
- The five-step problem solving approach has been updated to a six-step approach.
- Additional estimation exercises appear in Chapter 4.
- Additional equation problems have been added per user request.
- Context-driven chapter openers include From Campus to Careers features that highlight vocations requiring a variety of mathematics skills. The job outlook, educational requirements, and annual earnings data give students practical information to make career decisions. Problems presented in the openers are tied to exercises in the Study Sets.
- PREALGEBRA, Fifth Edition, begins with a Study Skills Workshop module. This module contains one-page discussions of study skills topics followed by a Now Try This section offering students actionable skills, assignments, and projects that will impact their study habits throughout the course. In addition, Study Skills Checklists, appearing before the Chapter Summary and Review, warn students of common errors giving them time to consider these pitfalls before taking their exam. Furthermore, the Cumulative Reviews cross-reference back to the section from which the problem comesproviding easy reference for students.
- Combining the best of traditional and reform approaches, PREALGEBRA, Fifth Edition, focuses on adequate skill development while emphasizing applications and interpretation of visual data, conceptual development, and problem solving. The text utilizes creative applications, a unique learning system, and an emphasis on the language of mathematics.
- The applications have been the most well received aspect of the text. Practical and relevant, the text's real-world emphasis is integrated throughout, including study set applications, chapter openers, and in-text examples. Real-life applications are presented from a number of disciplines, including science, business, economics, manufacturing, entertainment, history, art, music, and mathematics.
- Saving you time and improving students' results, WebAssign is the most widely used homework system in higher education - and it's integrated with the text. It allows you to assign, collect, grade, and record homework assignments via the web. It algorithmically generates variables in questions and provides question-specific student-support materials: electronic files from relevant parts of the textbook, videos of a similar exercise, active examples with worked out solutions, and robust tutorials.
- Students gain a deeper understanding of mathematics concepts if they know why a particular approach is taken. That instructional truth was the motivation for including a "Strategy and Why" explanation to the solution of each worked example, providing a concise answer to that all-important question, "Why?"
- The practice problems address every topic within each section and maintain a clear progression of level. The Practice section is divided into two categories, Guided Practice and Try It Yourself. Guided Practice takes each practice problem and keys it directly to the appropriate example in the section. Try It Yourself problems were designed to help students determine their own strategies when solving problems just as they would when they take a test.
- Each worked example ends with a Now Try problem completing the final step in the learning process. Each one is linked to a similar problem found within the Guided Practice section of the Study Sets.
1.1 An Introduction to the Whole Numbers. 1.2 Adding and Subtracting Whole Numbers. 1.3 Multiplying Whole Numbers. 1.4 Dividing Whole Numbers. 1.5 Prime Factors and Exponents. 1.6 The Least Common Multiple and the Greatest Common Factor. 1.7 Order of Operations. 1.8 Solving Equations Using Addition and Subtraction. 1.9 Solving Equations Using Multiplication and Division. Chapter Summary and Review. Chapter Test.
2. THE INTEGERS.
2.1 An Introduction to the Integers. 2.2 Adding Integers. 2.3 Subtracting Integers. 2.4 Multiplying Integers. 2.5 Dividing Integers. 2.6 Order of Operations and Estimation. 2.7 Solving Equations That Involve Integers. Chapter Summary and Review. Chapter Test. Cumulative Review.
3. THE LANGUAGE OF ALGEBRA.
3.1 Algebraic Expressions. 3.2 Evaluating Algebraic Expressions and Formulas. 3.3 Simplifying Algebraic Expressions and the Distributive Property. 3.4 Combining Like Terms. 3.5 Simplifying Expressions to Solve Equations. 3.6 Using Equations to Solve Application Problems. Chapter Summary and Review. Chapter Test. Cumulative Review.
4. FRACTIONS AND MIXED NUMBERS.
4.1 An Introduction to Fractions. 4.2 Multiplying Fractions. 4.3 Dividing Fractions. 4.4 Adding and Subtracting Fractions. 4.5 Multiplying and Dividing Mixed Numbers. 4.6 Adding and Subtracting Mixed Numbers. 4.7 Order of Operations and Complex Fractions. 4.8 Solving Equations That Involve Fractions. Chapter Summary and Review. Chapter Test. Cumulative Review.
5.1 An Introduction to Decimals. 5.2 Adding and Subtracting Decimals. 5.3 Multiplying Decimals. 5.4 Dividing Decimals. 5.5 Fractions and Decimals. 5.6 Square Roots. 5.7 Solving Equations That Involve Decimals. Chapter Summary and Review. Chapter Test. Cumulative Review.
6. RATIO, PROPORTION, AND MEASUREMENT.
6.1 Ratios. 6.2 Proportions. 6.3 American Units of Measurement. 6.4 Metric Units of Measurement; Medical Applications. 6.5 Converting between American and Metric Units. Chapter Summary and Review. Chapter Test. Cumulative Review.
7.1 Percents, Decimals, and Fractions. 7.2 Solving Percent Problems Using Percent Equations and Proportions. 7.3 Applications of Percent. 7.4 Estimation with Percent. 7.5 Interest. Chapter Summary and Review. Chapter Test. Cumulative Review.
8. GRAPHS AND STATISTICS.
8.1 Reading Graphs and Tables. 8.2 Mean, Median, and Mode. 8.3 Equations in Two Variables: The Rectangular Coordinate System. 8.4 Graphing Linear Equations. Chapter Summary and Review. Chapter Test. Cumulative Review.
9. AN INTRODUCTION TO GEOMETRY.
9.1 Basic Geometric Figures; Angles. 9.2 Parallel and Perpendicular Lines. 9.3 Triangles. 9.4 The Pythagorean Theorem. 9.5 Congruent Triangles and Similar Triangles. 9.6 Quadrilaterals and Other Polygons. 9.7 Perimeters and Areas of Polygons. 9.8 Circles. 9.9 Volume. Chapter Summary and Review. Chapter Test. Cumulative Review.
10. EXPONENTS AND POLYNOMIALS.
10.1 Multiplication Rules for Exponents. 10.2 Introduction to Polynomials. 10.3 Adding and Subtracting Polynomials. 10.4 Multiplying Polynomials. Chapter Summary and Review. Chapter Test. Cumulative Review. Appendix 1 Probability. Appendix 2 Inductive and Deductive Reasoning. Appendix 3 Roots and Powers.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Complete Solutions Manual
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access