Request for consultation
Newly revised for the 3rd Edition, PRACTICAL PROBLEMS IN MATHEMATICS FOR MASONS provides the quantitative skills novice bricklayers need to be successful. Starting with the basics, this practical worktext uses straightforward language and clear organization to develop confidence quickly with helpful hints. This book guides readers through the math most commonly used in masonry, reinforcing their knowledge of key math principles from whole numbers and decimals to fractions and percentages. Next, step-by-step discussions of volume, area, square roots, and the Pythagorean Theorem provide the foundation masons need to properly measure projects, align walls, and estimate quantities of materials. Throughout PRACTICAL PROBLEMS IN MATHEMATICS FOR MASONS, 3RD Edition, many examples, illustrations, and practice word problems help readers develop logical reasoning skills while developing an awareness of basic masonry terms and practices.
- Current Industry Examples: The worktext provides examples and word problems based on current industry applications and practices, including the latest residential building code regulations, construction industry safety regulations, masonry industry standards, and trade association recommendations.
- Green Focus: New practice problems highlight energy-efficient technologies and emerging trends in masonry and construction today.
- Indispensible Calculator Training: An introduction to using a hand-held calculator shows readers the correct order of operations for solving mathematical equations and formulas, and starts them off with the right footing.
- Enhanced Illustrations: New and improved illustrations throughout the worktexthelps students, especially spacial learners, see problems and solutions more clearly.
- Bold Visuals: Plenty of diagrams, charts, and other illustrations throughout the book help readers visualize key mathematical and masonry-related concepts for better comprehension.
- Critical Thinking Practice: Multi-step word problems encourage readers to apply new concepts and skills, solve real-world problems, and perform typical worksite tasks.
- Systematic Examples: Step-by-step problems and examples break lessons into manageable pieces, ensuring that readers understand each step before venturing on and eliminating learning gaps.
Using a Hand-Held Calculator.
1. Whole Numbers.
2. Common Fractions.
4. Percentages, Averages, and Proportions.
5. Powers and Roots.
7. Computing Geometric Measure and Shapes.
8. Formulas to Align Masonry Walls.
9. Materials Estimation.
Answers to Odd-Numbered Questions.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Companion Web Site
Find everything you need for your course in one place. This collection of product-specific lecture and class tools is available online via the instructor resource center at www.cengage.com/login. You'll be able to access and download materials such as PowerPoint® presentations, images, solutions manual, and test banks.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero®, is a flexible, online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate content from the text’s test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions. Create multiple test versions in an instant and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.