Request for consultation
Recipient of the 2014 TAA Textbook Excellence Award PRACTICAL COMPUTER LITERACY provides clear, comprehensive instruction on the basics of computer literacy. This convenient, reader-friendly text integrates computer concepts, Microsoft Office 2013 applications, and Internet essentials within a streamlined package. Concise lessons within each chapter, usually one page in length, are presented in an appealing Frequently Asked Questions format and include full-color screenshots and diagrams. Additionally, the textbook comes with a robust BookOnCD, which is a digital version of the textbook that brings the book to life with videos, animated diagrams, software tours and provides assessment opportunities via WebTrack technology.
- Fully updated to reflect Microsoft Office 2013 software.
- IC3 certified with Global Standards 4.
- Coverage of both Windows 7 and Windows 8.
- Additional "practical" material, such as visual examples of formatting (hanging indents, business memos, worksheet templates, etc.) to show "what" as well as "how."
- Please note - all supplements will be available via the Instructor and Student Companion Sites on Cengage.com and cengagebrain.com (no Instructor Resource CD for this edition).
- The accompanying Book-on-CD features animations, screen tours, and hands-on activities in a simulated environment, providing an ideal complement to the text and an appealing way to enhance learning.
- WebTrack enables instructors to easily track student activities in order to monitor progress, assess learning, and make adjustments as needed throughout the course.
- Nearly fifty projects in the back of the book allow students to develop their skills by applying what they learn to real-world scenarios they are likely to encounter in their personal and professional lives.
- Students can learn by watching computer concepts in action with over 150 computer-guided tutorials on the BookOnCD.
- Learn by watching computer concepts in action with over 150 computer-guided tutorials on the BookOnCD.
- Chirps: Would you like to know the questions that students have while reading their textbooks? Now, Chirps let you find out! Similar to tweets, our Chirps features allows students to send you questions from within their digital textbook. You can also use Chirps as an in-class polling system or as an asynchronous polling tool for online students.
- Clicker Questions: We've added clicker questions for each chapter from simple definitions to thought-provoking issues. If you don't have an in-class response system, students can use the new clicker feature that's built into their digital books.
- Microsoft Office 2013 and Windows 8: This text has been updated to cover Microsoft Office 2013 and both Microsoft Windows 7 and Microsoft Windows 8, keeping students fully up-to-date.
- This convenient text provides thorough, effective instruction on basic computer skills by integrating coverage of essential computer and Internet concepts and Microsoft Office 2013 skills within a streamlined, reader-friendly package.
Before You Begin.
SEECTION I: COMPUTING FUNDAMENTALS.
1. Computer Hardware.
2. Peripheral Devices.
3. System and Application Software.
4. Installing Software.
5. Getting Started with Windows.
6. Working with Windows Settings and Accounts.
7. Working with Files.
SECTION II: KEY APPLICATIONS.
8. Getting Started With Application Software.
9. Creating a Document.
10. Formatting a Document.
11. Finalizing a Document.
12. Creating a Worksheet.
13. Formatting A Worksheet.
14. Finalizing a Worksheet.
15. Creating a Presentation.
16. Finalizing a Presentation.
17. Creating a Database.
18. Finalizing a Database.
SECTION III: ONLINE CONNECTIONS.
20. Working with E-mail.
21. Browsing the Web.
22. Computer Benefits and Risks.