Request for consultation
Today’s game developers, particularly those working in smaller, independent studios, need to be “expert generalists”—that is, skilled in a wide range of tasks, from coding and level design to 3D modeling, animation, and more. Beyond knowing how to make great games, they also need the perspective and the experience to develop products quickly—all while working with limited resources, time, and budgets. They must take a holistic approach to the art and science of game development, with an emphasis on optimizing workflow. In PRACTICAL GAME DEVELOPMENT WITH UNITY AND BLENDER, author and developer Alan Thorn presents a unique 10-stage workflow for development success, offering advice and ideas (and plenty of practical examples) for developing games quickly and efficiently using some of today’s most popular (and free!) software tools. You’ll work with Unity (game engine), Blender (3D modeling and animation), and GIMP (image editor), fusing them into a single, productive workflow. Far beyond simply teaching you to operate a specific piece of software, this book guides you through the full process of game creation, with concrete instruction and tangible examples (including project and asset files, available on the book’s companion website). PRACTICAL GAME DEVELOPMENT WITH UNITY AND BLENDER will help you become a more powerful developer—the kind of broadly skilled generalist who can thrive at any game studio, large or small.
- Covers tips and techniques for improving development workflow and efficiency.
- Covers project management and development schedules.
- Includes coverage of classes and component workflows.
2. Blender-to-Unity Workflow.
3. Modular Environments and Static Meshes.
5. Animation Workflows.
6. Objects, Dependencies, and Event-Driven Programming.
8. Saved Games and Persistent Data.
10. Unity, Blender, and Other Software.