Request for consultation
Practical Cases in Special Education for all Educators focuses in on how general educators can and should become active participants in the education of children who have disabilities, by providing students with much needed practical applications of how general and special educators must work together and become involved in the education of all children. Chapter 1 explains the Case Study Approach of the text and provides a sample case and framework for the rest of the text. Each following chapter is categorically based on a specific disability, and presents two in-depth cases, which are written as first person stories from various school professionals, parents, and students. Once the characteristics associated with particular disabilities are discussed and identified, the text goes onto explore how educators used applied theory and problem-solving skills to craft a practical solution for each scenario.
- Chapter Opening Case Coding Boxes informs the reader of the type of case that they will be presented with as well as the grade level of the student in the case.
- Additional features accompanying each case include A List of Characters, Questions to Ponder, Case Study Framework Questions, Thinking Critically about the Case, Activities, and Resources for Further Investigation.
- An Appendix, "Individual Education Plan Drafting Activities and Templates" provides several valuable sample IEP templates that students can use as part of their assignments to get practice creating IEPs.
- Houghton Mifflin Video Cases, four- to six-minute video modules presenting real classroom scenarios, enable students to observe the day-to-day challenges and rewards of teaching from the convenience of their computers. Available on the Online Teaching and Study Centers, CL Video Cases are enhanced by classroom artifacts, Viewing Questions, Interview Transcripts, Key Terms, and bonus video footage.
Background and Purpose of the Case Study Approach
Using Your Experiences to Collect, Interpret, and Explain Circumstances Presented in the Case
Case Study Rubric
2. Cases Involving Early Intervention
3. Cases Involving Students Who Are Gifted and Talented
4. Cases Involving Students with Mental Impairment and Developmental Disabilities
5. Cases Involving Students with Learning Disabilities
6. Cases Involving Students with Emotional and Behavior Disorders
7. Cases Involving Students with Communication Disorders
8. Cases Involving Students Who Are Deaf or Hard of Hearing
9. Cases Involving Students with Visual Impairments
10. Cases Involving Students with Multiple and Severe Disabilities
11. Cases Involving Students with Physical Disabilities and Health Impairments
12. Cases Involving Students with Autism and Pervasive Developmental Disorders
13. Cases Involving Students with Traumatic Brain Injury
14. Cases Involving Students with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder
Appendix. Individual Education Plan Drafting Activities and Templates