Request for consultation
POSITIVE CHILD GUIDANCE, Eighth Edition, is ideal for guidance, behavior management and discipline, and classroom management courses in an early childhood education curriculum. This practical book outlines workable steps for creating a cooperative, respectful community of children and adults with special emphasis on sensitivity to cultural needs, cultural differences, and developmentally appropriate practice. Students will learn a range of practical, effective, and flexible guidance strategies based on principles of straightforward communication and assertiveness. This new edition includes critical advances in research and addresses the cultural trends that are changing the way babies and children are cared for today.
- NEW MindTap for Education is a first-of-its-kind digital solution that prepares teachers by providing them with the knowledge, skills, and competencies they must demonstrate to earn an education degree and state licensure, and to being a successful career. Through activities based on real-life teaching situations, MindTap elevates students’ thinking by giving them experiences in applying concepts, practicing skills, and evaluating decisions, guiding them to become reflective educators.
- NEW Colorful Design and Larger Trim Size: This edition is a full-color text with an appealing interior design and larger trim size to help enhance student learning.
- UPDATED Learning Objectives: Correlated to the main sections in each chapter, Learning Objectives focus students' reading and show students what they need to know, understand, and be able to apply after completing the chapter.
- NEW AND IMPROVED Standards Coverage: Enhanced coverage of NAEYC standards includes a chapter-opening list to help students identify where the chapter addresses key standards. NAEYC and DAP icons identify standards-related content throughout the text, and the NAEYC standards correlation charts help students make connections between what they are learning in the textbook and the standards.
- NEW Brain Facts Boxes: These new boxes provide students with current neurological findings that affect our understanding of how children learn and how early child educators can most effectively guide them.
- NEW Colorful Icons: Integrated throughout the book, marginal icons draw student attention to content that relates to NAEYC, DAP, Brain, Diversity, Challenging Behavior, and Critical Thinking content.
- NEW TeachSource Digital Downloads: Downloadable and often customizable, these practical and professional resources allow students to immediately implement and apply this textbook's content in the field. Students can download these tools and keep them forever, enabling preservice teachers to begin to build their own libraries of resources. A TeachSource Digital Downloads label identifies these items in the text.
- NEW TeachSource Video Cases: The TeachSource videos, introduced in the text and viewable online, feature footage from the classroom to help students relate key chapter content to real-life scenarios. Critical-thinking questions provide opportunities for in-class or online discussion and reflection. Several videos are new to this edition.
- NEW Content: This edition discusses recent critical advances in research and addresses the cultural changes that are changing the way babies and children are cared for today.
- Practical Application Emphasis: Every chapter has at least one Practical Application Case study that demonstrates important concepts addressed in the chapter. Additionally, numerous examples designated throughout the text help students understand how they can apply their new competences in real-world situations.
- Clarification of the Role of Behavior Modification in Positive Guidance: Extrinsic motivation--using tokens, prizes, and praise as reinforcement--can be effective in specific kinds of situations, but can seriously undermine intrinsic motivation if used incorrectly. The book provides guidelines for supporting intrinsic motivation and using extrinsic motivators wisely.
- UPDATED Coverage on Moral Development: Early childhood programs can play an important role in the development of moral values that are essential for successful citizenship in a democracy. Positive guidance as presented in this book is based on caring for children respectfully and assertively--so as to develop their internal motivation to live healthfully, to respect others, and to be responsible for their actions.
- UPDATED Marginal Key Terms and Definitions: To support student learning, key terms and their definitions appear in the text margins adjacent to boldface key terms where they first appear in the text. A list of the key terms appears at the end of each chapter and a comprehensive glossary appears at the end of the book.
- UPDATED Quotations: Throughout the text, relevant quotes from well-known philosophers, educators, and writers illuminate the content and inspire students.
- UPDATED Web-Based Resources: In every chapter, students will find recommended websites relevant to the topics being discussed.
1. Why Guidance Matters.
2. Historical Perspectives and Guidance Theories.
3. Understanding Children's Behavior.
Part II: VALUING THE UNIQUENESS OF EACH CHILD.
4. How to Observe Children.
5. Serving Culturally Diverse Children and Families.
6. Understanding Children with Ability Differences.
Part III: PREVENTING BEHAVIOR PROBLEMS.
7. Designing Developmentally Appropriate Environments Inside and Out.
8. Building Relationships through Positive Communication.
9. Fundamental Causes of Positive and Negative Behavior.
Part IV: POSITIVE INTERVENTIONS.
10. Effective Guidance Interventions.
11. Mistaken Goals, Motivation, and Mindfulness.
"[This] guidance book takes a very applied approach, giving students realistic scenarios of child behavior and adult response options."
“The text is heavily grounded in developmentally appropriate practice and child development theory, while still presenting the content in a reader-friendly format for students. The author sets the stage for guidance in the classroom by first exploring child development--a necessary starting point for any child guidance text!”
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Manual with Test Bank
An online Instructor’s Manual accompanies this book. It contains information to assist the instructor in designing the course, including sample syllabi, discussion questions, teaching and learning activities, field experiences, learning objectives, and additional online resources. For assessment support, the updated test bank includes true/false, multiple choice, matching, short answer, and essay questions for each chapter.
Online PowerPoint® Slides
These vibrant Microsoft PowerPoint lecture slides for each chapter assist you with your lecture, by providing concept coverage using images, figures, and tables directly from the textbook.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to: import, edit, and manipulate test bank content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.