Request for consultation
As a market leader, PHYSICS FOR SCIENTISTS AND ENGINEERS is one of the most powerful brands in the physics market. While preserving concise language, state-of-the-art educational pedagogy, and top-notch worked examples, the Ninth Edition Technology Update offers all-new Integrated Tutorials, PreLecture Explorations, and fully worked-out problem solutions. This text also highlights the Analysis Model approach to problem-solving, including Analysis Model Tutorials written by text co-author John Jewett and available in Enhanced WebAssign. The Ninth Edition of PHYSICS FOR SCIENTISTS AND ENGINEERS continues to be accompanied by Enhanced WebAssign in the most integrated text-technology offering available today. This briefer, paperbound version does not contain the end-of-chapter problems, which can be assigned in WebAssign, the online homework and learning system for this book. Access to WebAssign and the eBook is included with the Hybrid version. The eBook is the full version of the text, with all end-of-chapter questions and problem sets.
- AN EXPANDED OFFERING OF ALL-NEW INTEGRATED TUTORIALS with Case Studies These Integrated Tutorials with case studies strengthen students’ problem-solving skills by guiding them through the steps in the book's problem-solving process, and include meaningful feedback at each step so students can practice the problem-solving process and improve their skills. The feedback also addresses student preconceptions and helps them to catch algebraic and other mathematical errors. Solutions are carried out symbolically as long as possible, with numerical values substituted at the end. This feature promotes conceptual understanding above memorization, helps students understand the effects of changing the values of each variable in the problem, avoids unnecessary repetitive substitution of the same numbers, and eliminates round-off errors.
- NEW PRELECTURE EXPLORATIONS This popular online asset has been expanded to provide instructors with more assignments covering a wider variety of topics. Additionally, all of the PreLecture Explorations have been updated and converted to HTML so that they can be accessed across a variety of platforms and devices, with additional parameters added to enhance investigation of a physical phenomenon. Students can make predictions, change the parameters, and then observe the results. Every PreLecture Exploration comes with conceptual and analytical questions that guide students to a deeper understanding and help promote a robust physical intuition.
- INCREASED NUMBER OF FULLY WORKED-OUT PROBLEM SOLUTIONS Hundreds of solutions have been newly added to online end-of-chapter problems. Solutions step through problem-solving strategies as they are applied to specific problems.
- PERSONAL STUDY PLAN The Personal Study Plan in Enhanced WebAssign provides chapter and section assessments that show students what material they know and what areas require more work. For items that they answer incorrectly, students can click on links to related study resources such as videos, tutorials, or reading materials. Color-coded progress indicators let them see how well they are doing on different topics. Instructors can decide what chapters and sections to include—and whether to include the plan as part of the final grade or as a study guide with no scoring involved.
- ANALYSIS MODEL TUTORIALS These 165 tutorials (indicated in each chapter’s problem set with an “AMT” icon) strengthen students’ problem-solving skills by guiding them through the steps in the problem-solving process. Important first steps include making predictions and focusing their strategy on physics concepts before they start to solve the problem quantitatively. A critical component of these tutorials is the selection of an appropriate analysis model to describe what is going on in the problem. Analysis Model tutorials include meaningful feedback at each step to help students practice the problem-solving process and improve their skills. Solutions are carried out symbolically as long as possible, with numerical values substituted at the end. Feedback at the end of the tutorial encourages students to think about how the final answer matches their original predictions.
- ANNOTATED INSTRUCTOR'S EDITION The Annotated Instructor's Edition provides instructors with teaching tips and other notes on how best to utilize the textbook in the classroom. Additionally, the full slate of icons describing the various types of problems will be included in the questions/problems sets (the Student Edition contains only those icons needed by students).
- ADDITIONAL MASTER ITS IN ENHANCED WEBASSIGN Approximately 50 additional Master Its were added for the ninth edition.
- ANALYSIS OF PROBLEMS USAGE DATA FROM WEBASSIGN GUIDED PROBLEMS. The authors used extensive user data gathered by WebAssign from professors and students to identify problems that contained muddled or unclear phrasing. The data was used to ensure that the problems professors assigned the most were retained for this new edition. In each chapter's problems set, the top quartile of problems that were assigned in WebAssign are given an icon for easy identification.
- "WATCH IT" SOLUTION VIDEOS. Selected problems (indicated in each chapter's problem set with a "W" icon) appear as "Watch It" solution videos in Enhanced WebAssign and explain fundamental problem-solving strategies to help students step through the problem. Instructors can choose whether or not to include video hints of problem-solving strategies.
- PROBLEM SOLVING STRATEGY. A General Problem Solving Strategy, outlined early in the text, provides a series of steps similar to those taken by professional physicists in solving problems. This problem solving strategy is revisited in each Worked Example, so students approach problems consistently, developing stronger problem-solving skills. The General Problem Solving Strategy is further reinforced by Problem-Solving Strategy boxes that provide additional tips for tackling specific types of problems.
- WORKED EXAMPLES. Always a hallmark of the text, Worked Examples are presented in a visually appealing two-column format, providing conceptual explanations next to the math for every step. The examples closely follow the authors' proven General Problem Solving Strategy, which is introduced in Chapter 2 to reinforce good problem solving habits. About one-third of the worked examples include "What If?" extensions, which further reinforce conceptual understanding. Every Worked Example can be assigned and graded through the Enhanced WebAssign homework management system. Solutions are presented symbolically as much as possible with numbers substituted in at the last possible moment to help students think symbolically when they solve problems, instead of automatically looking to insert numbers into an equation to solve a problem.
- HALLMARK PROBLEM SETS. An extensive set of problems is included at the end of each chapter; in all, the text contains about 3,000 problems. Solutions to selected problems are included in the Student Solutions Manual and Study Guide (denoted in the text by a box around the problem number), and the answers to odd-numbered problems are provided at the end of the book. The Problems set is organized by the sections in each chapter, but within each section, the problems "platform" students to higher-order thinking by presenting all the straightforward (black) problems in the section first, followed by intermediate (blue) problems. The "Additional Problems" section remains in its usual place, but at the end of each chapter a section of "Challenging Problems" gathers the chapter's toughest problems in one place.
- PROBLEM VARIETY. The authors include a great diversity of problem types, including Objective Questions (multiple-choice, true/false, ranking) that facilitate students' familiarity with the equations, the variables used, the concepts the variables represent, and the relationships between the concepts; Conceptual Questions; Quantitative/Conceptual problems which contain parts that ask students to think both quantitatively and conceptually, Symbolic Problems that ask students to solve a problem using only symbolic manipulation; as well as many problems asking for numerical answers; review problems requiring students to combine concepts covered in the chapter with those discussed in previous chapters; and problems that ask students to reason in order-of-magnitude terms. Each chapter also contains at least one problem applying ideas and methods from differential calculus and one using integral calculus.
- IN-TEXT LEARNING AIDS. The book includes a Summary at the end of each chapter, over 200 "Pitfall Preventions" in the margins of the text to help students avoid common mistakes and misunderstandings, and a wide range of Quick Quizzes (with answers at the back of the book) that can be assigned and graded through the Enhanced WebAssign homework management system and are also formatted to be used in audience response systems.
- A MODERN, HIGHLY UNIFIED ART PROGRAM. Every piece of artwork is rendered in an attractive, modern style that helps express the physics principles and ensures that the physical situations presented correspond exactly to the textual discussion at hand. The book's clean and clear visual program helps students understand concepts and facilitates review. In selected figures in the text, "Focus Pointers" walk students through the often complex figures without having to go back-and-forth from the figure legend to the figure itself. A functional color chart found at the front of the text lists the color-coded symbols used in the text diagrams.
- MATH APPENDIX. If your students need a quick review of math topics such as algebra and trigonometry, this valuable tool shows essential math concepts in a physics context.
- ENHANCED WEBASSIGN. Exclusively from Cengage Learning, Enhanced WebAssign® offers an extensive online program for Physics to encourage the practice that's so critical for concept mastery. The meticulously crafted pedagogy and exercises in our proven texts become even more effective in Enhanced WebAssign. Enhanced WebAssign includes all of the Ninth Edition's end-of-chapter problems and most of the objective and conceptual questions. Enhanced WebAssign includes the Cengage YouBook, a highly customizable, interactive eBook, as well as audience response system content that consists of text-specific "Quick Quizzes" and "Assessing to Learn in the Classroom" questions developed at the University of Massachusetts at Amherst for advanced conceptual quizzing. Perfect for amateur, intermediate, or advanced users of this new learning technology, our platform-neutral content is perfect for use with the "clicker" program of your choice.
- BETTER INTEGRATION OF THE ANALYSIS MODEL APPROACH TO PROBLEM-SOLVING The Analysis Model approach lays out a standard set of situations that appear in most physics problems, and serves as a bridge to help students identify the correct fundamental principle--and then the equation--to utilize in solving that problem. To better integrate the Analysis Model approach for this edition, "Analysis Model" boxes appear at the end of any section that introduces an Analysis Model and recap the Analysis Model just introduced, while also providing examples of the types of problems that a student could solve using the Analysis Model. Worked examples in the text that utilize Analysis Models are also designated with an "AM" icon for ease of reference.
1. Physics and Measurement.
2. Motion in One Dimension.
4. Motion in Two Dimensions.
5. The Laws of Motion.
6. Circular Motion and Other Applications of Newton''s Laws.
7. Energy of a System.
8. Conservation of Energy.
9. Linear Momentum and Collisions.
10. Rotation of a Rigid Object About a Fixed Axis.
11. Angular Momentum.
12. Static Equilibrium and Elasticity.
13. Universal Gravitation.
14. Fluid Mechanics.
PART II: OSCILLATIONS AND MECHANICAL WAVES.
15. Oscillatory Motion.
16. Wave Motion.
17. Sound Waves.
18. Superposition and Standing Waves.
PART III: THERMODYNAMICS.
20. Heat and the First Law of Thermodynamics.
21. The Kinetic Theory of Gases.
22. Heat Engines, Entropy, and the Second Law of Thermodynamics.
PART IV: ELECTRICITY AND MAGNETISM.
23. Electric Fields.
24. Gauss''s Law.
25. Electric Potential.
26. Capacitance and Dielectrics.
27. Current and Resistance.
28. Direct Current Circuits.
29. Magnetic Fields.
30. Sources of the Magnetic Field.
31. Faraday''s Law.
33. Alternating Current Circuits.
34. Electromagnetic Waves.
PART V: LIGHT AND OPTICS.
35. The Nature of Light and the Laws of Geometric Optics.
36. Image Formation.
37. Interference of Light Waves.
38. Diffraction Patterns and Polarization.
PART VI: MODERN PHYSICS.
40. Introduction to Quantum Physics
41. Quantum Mechanics
42. Atomic Physics
43. Molecules and Solids
44. Nuclear Structure
45. Applications of Nuclear Physics
46. Particle Physics and Cosmology
B. Mathematics Review.
C. Periodic Table of the Elements.
D. SI Units.
Answers to Odd-Numbered Problems.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Physics for Scientists and Engineers (AP® Edition), 9th: PowerLecture DVD-ROM with ExamView Test Generator, Vol. 1
Bringing physics principles and concepts to life in your lectures has never been easier! The full-featured PowerLecture Instructor's Resource CD-ROM provides everything you need for Chapters 1-22 of PHYSICS FOR SCIENTISTS AND ENGINEERS WITH MODERN PHYSICS, 9th edition. Key content includes art and images from the text, pre-made chapter-specific PowerPoint lectures, ExamView test generator software with pre-loaded test questions, response-system styled "clicker" questions, animated "Active Figure" simulations, and an electronic version of the Instructor's Solutions Manual, Volume 1, which includes complete solutions to all the problems in Chapters 1-22 of the text. Also provided are full answers (with explanations) to the Quick Quizzes in the text.
Physics for Scientists and Engineers (AP® Edition), 9th: PowerLecture DVD-ROM with ExamView Test Generator, Vol. 2
Bringing physics principles and concepts to life in your lectures has never been easier! The full-featured PowerLecture Instructor's Resource DVD-ROM provides everything you need for Chapters 23-46 of PHYSICS FOR SCIENTISTS AND ENGINEERS WITH MODERN PHYSICS, 9th edition. Key content includes art and images from the text, pre-made chapter-specific PowerPoint lectures, ExamView test generator software with pre-loaded test questions, response-system styled "clicker" questions, animated "Active Figure" simulations, and an electronic version of Instructor's Solutions Manual, Volume 2, which includes complete solutions to all the problems in Chapters 23-46 of the text. Also provided are full answers (with explanations) to the Quick Quizzes in the text.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access
Study Guide with Student Solutions Manual, Volume 1
For Chapters 1-22, this manual contains detailed solutions to approximately 20% of the problems per chapter (indicated in the textbook with boxed problem numbers). The manual also features a skills section, important notes from key sections of the text, and a list of important equations and concepts.
Study Guide with Student Solutions Manual, Volume 2
For Chapters 23-46, this manual contains detailed solutions to approximately 20% of the problems per chapter (indicated in the textbook with boxed problem numbers). The manual also features a skills section, important notes from key sections of the text, and a list of important equations and concepts.
Study Guide with Student Solutions Manual, Volume 1
The perfect way to prepare for exams, build problem-solving skills, and get the grade you want! For Chapters 1-22, this manual contains detailed solutions to approximately 20% of the problems per chapter (indicated in the textbook with boxed problem numbers). The manual also features a skills section, important notes from key sections of the text, and a list of important equations and concepts.
Study Guide with Student Solutions Manual, Volume 2
The perfect way to prepare for exams, build problem-solving skills, and get the grade you want! For Chapters 23-46, this manual contains detailed solutions to approximately 20% of the problems per chapter (indicated in the textbook with boxed problem numbers). The manual also features a skills section, important notes from key sections of the text, and a list of important equations and concepts.