Request for consultation
PHLEBOTOMY TECHNICIAN SPECIALIST, 2E offers the most comprehensive information available in order to expertly perform phlebotomy tasks. Whether the student is already a Medical Laboratory Technician or cross training from another branch of Allied Health, Phlebotomy Technician Specialist, 2E is versatile enough to be used by anyone new to phlebotomy. This edition has been updated to reflect relevant National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences (NAACLS) competency guidelines. Chapter reorganization successfully enhances the learning path for students through a more concise and logical flow of professional phlebotomist skills. With its up-to-date content, thorough examples, eye-catching illustrations, and emphasis on customer service, this textbook sets the standard for phlebotomy instruction.
- New NAACLS Competencies listed at the beginning of each chapter, highlights all content requirements for national certifications and program accreditations.
- Updated requirement and guideline content.
- Updated and new Point-of-Care tests to ensure students are fully prepared for the challenges of patient care.
- Updated art program accurately illustrates new content features and changes in industry practices.
- Reorganized table of contents enhances the logical progression and flow of the tools, techniques, and professional skills required to be a phlebotomist.
- New Appendix of Commonly Ordered Diagnostic Tests reinforces the importance of a phlebotomist's role in the professional medical field.
- Review questions and critical thinking exercises at the end of each chapter allow for self-review of the concepts and skills explained throughout the text.
- Did you know? boxes provide tips, concepts, and other helpful information relevant to the day-to-day duties of phlebotomists.
- Competency Check-Off Sheets, found in chapters containing phlebotomy procedures, allows for quick assessment of student strengths and weaknesses.
- Emphasis on phlebotomy-specific medical terminology, including word prefixes, suffixes and combining forms.
- Key terms lists with definitions and pronunciations are provided in each chapter.
- Extensive chapter on anatomy and physiology provides a refresher of each body system, including cardiovascular functions.
2. Professional Communication Skills.
3. Medical Terminology.
4. Anatomy and Physiology.
5. Infection Control – Safety Procedures.
7. Blood Collection Equipment and Supplies.
8. Collection by Capillary Puncture.
9. Collection by Routine Venipuncture.
10. Preanalytical Errors and Complications of Blood Collection.
11. Specialized Phlebotomy Techniques.
12. Point-Of-Care Testing and Other Laboratory Tests.
13. Vital Signs.
15. Employment Skills.
Appendix: Most Commonly Ordered Diagnostic Tests
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Utilize PowerPoint slides, editable competency checklists for procedures, an instructor's manual, answers to end of chapter review questions, an image library, and a computerized test bank to enhance your classroom and propel your students to success as a certified phlebotomist!