Request for consultation
Respected instructors and authors Patricia Floyd, Sandra Mimms, and Caroline Yelding present an updated, modern Fourth Edition of Personal Health: Perspectives and Lifestyles that emphasizes the individual’s personal responsibility for wellness by presenting general (core) and current health information to help guide students’ decision making. The text presents health topics, including cultural, racial, ethnic, and gender diversity issues, identifies risk factors, and gives students useful and sensible suggestions to reduce their risk for preventable diseases and conditions in order to achieve optimal levels of wellness for themselves, friends, and family. Filled with practical advice, stimulating discussion questions and self-assessment exercises, this text takes an applied approach and empowers students to take control of their own health. Concentrated emphasis on health issues as they relate to various cultural differences make this text one of the most up-to date resources for health-related culture, gender, ethnic, and age issues.
- Support for your students' behavior change unlike any other web-based student resource is available with CengageNOW for health, which can be automatically packaged with new copies of the text and includes a personalized health change plan as well as a series of activities that reinforce key concepts discussed in the text. This student tool is what students have been waiting for! It is interesting, easy to use, and provides the learning resources to help them excel in the course.
- New and expanded discussions include Healthy People 2010, Cholesterol Screening guidelines, 2000 and 2001 DRIs, Postpartum depression, Contraceptives, The Yo-Yo Syndrome, Children and Adolescent Weight Programs, Exercise for the disabled, OxyContin, Ecstasy, and more.
- Within 15 manageable chapters, the text explores eating disorders, sexually transmitted diseases, substance abuses, and physical/mental abuse issues related to family, spousal, child, battered women, adolescent smokers, weight management, and more, making this an extensive yet manageable text.
- Self Assessments conclude each chapter and provide students with the opportunity to assess their own behaviors and apply chapter lessons to their own lives.
- It�s Your Turn�For Study and Review questions found at the end of each chapter reinforce chapter objectives and main chapter points.
- Personal Health Resources are found at the end of each chapter and list relevant websites with brief descriptions, providing contact information so students have a reliable reference and resources to be able to deal with personal issues.
- Think About Health is a critical thinking feature that contains controversial topics with InfoTrac® College Edition readings and activities.
- The text is unique in the way it covers the macro issues of diversity, such as worldwide tobacco use, as well as more micro issues, such as shaving differences between African Americans and Caucasians. This broad coverage gives students more exposure to the issues of health and wellness that affect and influence all types of people.
- Focus on Diversity boxes found throughout each chapter supply students with research information on diversity and health topics such as stress as it relates to age; gender differences in communication; Heart Attack-prone areas across the world; and HIV/AIDS in the African-American community.
- Tips for Action boxes give students practical suggestions for developing good health habits.
- Provocative Viewpoint features contain high-interest topics in the field of health and wellness to stimulate classroom discussion and encourage students to think critically about hot topics in the field. Topics include pro- and anti-gun proponents, circumcisions, needle exchange, and embryonic stem cell research.
- FYI sidebars reveal fun and interesting health facts and statistics and are designed to entice students to want to read more.
2. Personality and Emotional Health.
3. Stress and Health.
4. Personal Relationships.
5. Human Sexuality, Contraception, and Reproduction.
6. Communicable Diseases.
7. Noncommunicable Diseases.
8. Cardiovascular Diseases.
9. The Basics of Nutrition.
10. Weight Management.
11. Physical Activity and Health.
12. Psychoactive Drugs and Medications.
13. Tobacco and Alcohol.
14. Aging, Dying, and Death.
15. Consumerism and Environmental Health.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Create, deliver, and customize tests and study guides (both print and online) in minutes with this easy-to-use assessment and tutorial system. ExamView offers both a Quick Test Wizard and an Online Test Wizard that guide you step by step through the process of creating tests, while its "what you see is what you get" interface allows you to see the test you are crating on the screen exactly as it will print or display online. You can build tests of up to 250 questions using up to 12 question types. Using ExamView’s complete word processing capabilities, you can enter an unlimited number of new questions or edit existing questions.
CengageNOW™, InfoTrac® Instant Access Code
CengageNOW for Health is a new powerful online learning companion that helps students gauge their unique study needs-and provides them with a Personalized Change Plan that enhances their problem-solving skills and conceptual understanding. Just a click of the mouse allows students to enter and explore the system at any point with no instructor set-up necessary. The Personalized Change Plan section guides students through a behavior change process tailored specifically to their needs and personal motivation. An excellent tool to assign as a project, this plan is easy to assign, track, and grade, even for large sections.
Multimedia Manager/Instructor's Resource CD-ROM
Designed to make lecture preparation easier, this CD-ROM includes customizable PowerPoint® presentation slides with images from the text, new ABC® video clips, and electronic versions of the instructor’s manual and test bank.
The Instructor's Edition includes a more detailed visual preface, with a walkthrough of the main features and support materials with the text.
CengageNOW™, InfoTrac® Instant Access Code
CengageNOW is an easy-to-use online resource that helps you study in less time to get the grade you want.