Request for consultation
The most respected and authoritative college textbook available on human sexuality, this thirteenth edition of OUR SEXUALITY has been thoroughly and carefully updated to reflect the most current research findings. It is the first college text to deliver cutting-edge and in-depth emphasis on the impact of politics on sexuality. Crooks and Baur engage students with the most exciting, emerging research and coverage, and focus on strengthening self-awareness and sexual intelligence.
- New tables and figures enhance students' grasp of information. Topics include the neural pathways in the female pelvis that account for individual variations in sexual response, major religions' stances on same sex marriage, the dramatic difference in effectiveness of contraceptive methods over a 10 year period of use, the increase in state abortion restrictions, the decline in marriage rates (categorized by race and education level), the percentages of married individuals in various generation groups, and a comparison between the U.S. and other countries for maternity and paternity leave.
- Throughout the thirteenth edition, the authors have added new coverage and updated existing material. Examples include the controversies related to the Affordable Care Act and access to no-cost contraception, cross cultural attitudes about casual sex, the phenomenon of slut-shaming, the clitourethrovaginal complex and its role in female sexual arousal, sexual fantasy (expanded section), and "kink lite" (new topic).
- New and updated topics include new terms for nuances of sexual orientation, developments in gay civil rights, telemedicine and medical abortions, circumcision, prostate cancer, sex chromosome disorders, transsexualism and transgenderism, gender role development, the role of hormones in sexual behavior, love and styles of attachment, the physical changes of adolescence, adolescent sexting and adolescents online, adolescent homosexuality, adolescent pregnancy, rape and child sexual abuse, and sexually transmitted diseases (especially AIDS).
- The addition of about 2,000 new citations reflects the most recent research in sexology.
- MindTap for Our Sexuality engages students with important course concepts through interactive multimedia activities, quizzes and discussion. The MindTap learning path guides students to success with specific digital assets that increase interaction of students and instructors, and social tools like videos, discussion and photo sharing that improve academic discourse around the sensitive subject area of human sexuality.
- Sexual health information within every chapter is identified by a Sexual Health icon in the margin, and in-depth topics are found in special boxes. Some examples include "Genital Self-Exam for Women", "How to Examine Your Breasts", "Male Genital Self-Examination", and "Dealing with Rape and Attempted Rape".
- Spotlight on Research feature boxes present the most up-to-date research and research controversies in the field of sexuality.
- Critical Thinking questions integrated throughout encourage students to stop, think, and apply knowledge and experience while developing their personal perspective of sexuality.
- OUR SEXUALITY endeavors to assist professors in increasing students' sexual intelligence. In Chapter One, the authors introduce the first of the four components included in their definition of sexual intelligence -- knowing about the critical role that politics plays in sexual arenas. The other components of sexual intelligence covered in the text include: understanding oneself sexually; having interpersonal sexual skills and integrity; and knowing accurate scientific sexual information.
- This inclusive text covers "our" sexuality in an accessible, straightforward manner, with emphasis on the historical background and politics of human sexuality.
- The text explores the similarities in the human experience of sexual and relationship matters that cross cultural boundaries and sexual orientation lines. The Author Files quote real people's experiences and attitudes, enabling students to discover that they're not so different from everyone else. Sexuality and Diversity sections are highlighted in every chapter.
- The Sex and Politics sections in each chapter examine the issue of value judgments that become public policy and what this means to sexual knowledge and sexual choices. Examples include "The Power of Pro-Life Anti-Contraception Politics", "'Intactivists' Attempt to Criminalize Circumcision in San Francisco", "Antigay Harassment/Bullying of Teenagers", "Sex Research under Siege", "Abstinence Only Sex Ed", and "Marriage in Crisis".
2. Sex Research: Methods and Problems.
3. Female Sexual Anatomy and Physiology.
4. Male Sexual Anatomy and Physiology.
5. Gender Issues.
6. Sexual Arousal and Response.
7. Love and Communication in Intimate Relationships.
8. Sexual Behaviors.
9. Sexual Orientations.
11. Conceiving Children: Process and Choice.
12. Sexuality During Childhood and Adolescents.
13. Sexuality and the Adult Years.
14. Sexual Difficulties and Solutions.
15. Sexually Transmitted Diseases.
16. Atypical Sexual Behavior.
17. Sexual Coercion.
18. Sex for Sale.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Online Instructor's Manual
This detailed manual provides sample syllabi, course guidelines, in-class exercises, and chapter objectives to assist instructors in teaching the course.
Helping you make your lectures more engaging while effectively reaching your visually oriented students, these handy Microsoft® PowerPoint® slides outline the chapters of the main text in a classroom-ready presentation. The PowerPoint® slides are updated to reflect the content and organization of the new edition of the text.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to: import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.