Request for consultation
Introduce your students to the most progressive thinking about organizations today as acclaimed author Richard Daft balances recent, innovative ideas with proven classic theories and effective business practices. Daft’s best-selling ORGANIZATION THEORY AND DESIGN presents a captivating, compelling snapshot of contemporary organizations and the concepts driving their success. Recognized as one of the most systematic, well-organized texts in the market, the 12th edition of ORGANIZATION THEORY AND DESIGN helps current and future managers thoroughly prepare for the challenges they are certain to face in today’s business world. This revision showcases some of today’s most current examples and research alongside time-tested principles. Students see how many of today’s well-known organizations have learned to cope and even thrive amidst a rapidly changing, highly competitive international environment. Featured organizations include BP, Disney/Pixar, Volvo, Barnes & Noble, and Cisco Systems. Organization studies, proven cases, and illustrations provide the insights necessary to better understand modern organizations, while new and proven learning features give your students opportunities to apply concepts and refine their personal business skills and insights.
- New examples are designed to acclimate students to today’s ever-evolving business climate.
- Quick marginal features offer students insights on how to manage organizations.
- Each chapter contains a workbook exercise that provides an opportunity to gain more experience with the chapter content for students.
- Workshops engage students in a larger learning experience.
- Short chapter-closing cases allow students to begin practicing the application of concepts before tackling the larger integrated cases.
- Each chapter is organized into a logical framework and focuses on the key theme. Students are not introduced to extraneous material or confusing methodological debates that occur among organizational researchers.
- Cases focus on both domestic and international organizational operations.
- The modern, student-friendly design appeals to today’s learners.
- The integrative cases at the end of the text allow students to synthesize key concepts into comprehensive learning experiences.
- “A Look Inside” introduces each chapter with an interesting organizational example.
- “In Practice Cases” illustrate theoretical concepts in organizational settings.
- “Briefcase” shows how real managers use concepts to analyze cases and manage organizations.
- A self-assessment allows students to gauge their own management styles.
- Book reviews reflect current issues of concern to research and managers.
- “Managing By Design” questions grab students’ attention, giving them a unique opportunity to actively participate with the chapter content as they complete three short opinion questions related to the chapter’s topics.
- At appropriate places throughout the chapter, students revisit and review their “Managing by Design” question and answer from the beginning of the chapter. This in-depth analysis of previous answers allows them to place the information within the context of what they’ve already learned in the chapter.
- Unique self-test questionnaires connect students’ personal preferences to chapter material to heighten interest and show relevance of the concepts.
- Proven and popular workbook exercises in each chapter provide an opportunity for students to gain more experience working hands-on with the chapter’s content.
- Conveniently located in the chapter margins, the “Manager’s Briefcase” feature clearly demonstrates how to use the chapter’s concepts to analyze cases and, ultimately, manage organizations most effectively.
- Driven by intriguing situations in real businesses, end-of-chapter cases highlight significant chapter concepts. They are extremely valuable in guiding student analysis and prompting meaningful classroom discussion.
- Engaging integrative cases at the end of this edition highlight familiar organizations and encourage students to discuss and apply numerous organization concepts.
1. Organizations and Organization Theory.
PART II: ORGANIZATIONAL PURPOSE AND STRUCTURAL DESIGN.
2. Strategy, Organization Design, and Effectiveness.
3. Fundamentals of Organization Structure.
PART III: OPEN SYSTEM DESIGN ELEMENTS.
4. The External Environment.
5. Interorganizational Relationships.
6. Designing Organizations for the International Environment.
PART IV: INTERNAL DESIGN ELEMENTS.
7. Manufacturing and Service Technologies.
8. Using Information Technology for Control and Coordination.
9. Organization Size, Life Cycle, and Decline.
PART V: MANAGING DYNAMIC PROCESSES.
10. Organizational Culture and Ethical Values.
11. Innovation and Change.
12. Decision-Making Processes.
13. Conflict, Power, and Politics.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Companion Website
You can conveniently access the instructor’s materials through the companion website, including the Instructor’s Manual, PowerPoint files, and Cognero test bank.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to: import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.