Request for consultation
Introduce your students to the most progressive thinking about organizations today as acclaimed author Richard Daft balances recent, innovative ideas with proven classic theories and effective business practices. Daft's best-selling ORGANIZATION THEORY AND DESIGN presents a captivating, compelling snapshot of contemporary organizations and the concepts driving their success that will immediately engage and inspire your students. Recognized as one of the most systematic, well-organized texts in the market, ORGANIZATION THEORY AND DESIGN helps both future and current managers thoroughly prepare for the challenges they are certain to face in today's business world. This revision showcases some of today's most current examples and research alongside time-tested principles. Students see, firsthand, how many of today's well-known organizations have learned to cope and even thrive amidst a rapidly changing, highly competitive international environment. Featured organizations include BP, Disney/Pixar, Volvo, Barnes & Noble, and Cisco Systems. Organization studies, proven cases, and illustrations provide the insights necessary to better understand modern organizations, while new and proven learning features give your students important opportunities to apply concepts and refine their personal business skills and insights.
- NEW COURSEMATE STUDY TOOLS FOR STUDENTS: Engaging, trackable, and affordable, the new CourseMate website offers a dynamic way to bring course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support this printed edition of the text. Provide your students with this robust array of learning tools to enrich their course experience. Students gain immediate access to videos with quizzing and PowerPoint® slides, as well as helpful interactive quizzes and engaging games. The Engagement Tracker tool, when used, provides you with the ability to identify at-risk students while it's still early enough to help, and also allows you to see what resources your student find most valuable.
- NEW "IN PRACTICE" EXAMPLES DEMONSTRATE THEORY IN ACTION: This edition contains many new "In Practice" examples that illustrate theoretical concepts in organizational settings. Many examples are international, and all are based on real organizations. New "In Practice" cases used within chapters include BP, Cisco Systems, Acer Inc., Volvo, Disney/Pixar, Smart Balance, Barnes & Noble, Johns Hopkins Medicine, Sandberg Furniture, Every Child Succeeds, Huawai Technologies, and more.
- NEW "BOOK MARKS" EMPHASIZE CURRENT ISSUES THROUGH INSIGHTFUL BOOK REVIEWS: Unique "Book Mark" book reviews throughout this edition reflect current concerns of today's managers in actual leading organizations. These insightful reviews detail how companies are dealing with the challenges of today's changing environment. Several "Book Mark" features are new for this edition.
- NEW INTERNATIONAL COVERAGE ENHANCES GLOBAL VISION OF TEXT: Additional international coverage throughout the text has been added to the already robust international representation, giving students a truly global view of organization theory.
- "CASE FOR ANALYSIS" ENCOURAGES IN-DEPTH THINKING: Driven by intriguing situations in real businesses, these end-of-chapter cases highlight significant chapter concepts. They are extremely valuable in guiding student analysis and prompting meaningful classroom discussion.
- INTEGRATIVE CASES IMMEDIATELY INVOLVE STUDENTS: Engaging Integrative Cases at the end of this edition highlight familiar organizations and encourage students to discuss and apply numerous organization concepts.
- "MANAGING BY DESIGN" QUESTIONS INSTANTLY ENGAGE STUDENTS: These engaging questions immediately grab your students' attention, giving them a unique opportunity to actively participate with the chapter content as they complete three short opinion questions related to the chapter's topics.
- "ASSESS YOUR ANSWER" FEATURES PROVIDE MEANINGFUL BUSINESS CONTEXT: At appropriate places throughout the chapter, your students revisit and review their "Managing by Design" question and answer from the beginning of the chapter. This in-depth analysis of previous answers allows them to place the information within the context of what they've already learned in the chapter.
- "HOW DO YOU FIT THE DESIGN?" SELF-TESTS PLACE STUDENTS IN MANAGEMENT ROLES: Now you can give your students an opportunity to visualize themselves in the position of manager. These unique questionnaires connect the student's personal preferences to chapter material to heighten interest and show relevance of the concepts.
- "WORKBOOK" EXERCISES PROVIDE HANDS-ON EXPERIENCE: Proven and popular Workbook exercises in each chapter provide an opportunity for students to gain more experience working hands-on with the chapter's content.
- "MANAGER'S BRIEFCASE" HIGHLIGHTS HOW TO APPLY CONCEPTS: Conveniently located in the chapter margins, this practical feature clearly demonstrates to your students how to use the chapter's concepts to analyze cases and, ultimately, manage organizations most effectively.
1. Organizations and Organization Theory.
PART 2: ORGANIZATIONAL PURPOSE AND STRUCTURAL DESIGN.
2. Strategy, Organization Design, and Effectiveness.
3. Fundamentals of Organization Structure.
PART 3: OPEN SYSTEM DESIGN ELEMENTS.
4. The External Environment.
5. Interorganizational Relationships.
6. Designing Organizations for the International Environment.
PART 4: INTERNAL DESIGN ELEMENTS.
7. Manufacturing and Service Technologies.
8. Using Information Technology for Control and Coordination.
9. Organization Size, Life Cycle, and Decline.
PART 5: MANAGING DYNAMIC PROCESSES.
10. Organizational Culture and Ethical Values.
11. Innovation and Change.
12. Decision-Making Processes.
13. Conflict, Power, and Politics.
1.0 Developing Global Teams to Meet 21st Century Challenges at W. L. Gore &
2.0 It Isn’t So Simple: Infrastructure Change at Royce Consulting.
3.0 IKEA: Scandinavian Style.
4.0 Custom Chip, Inc.
5.0 First Union: An Office Without Walls.
6.0 Lean Initiatives and Growth at Orlando Metering Company.
7.0 The Plaza Inn.
8.0 Costco: Join the Club.
9.0 The Donor Services Department.
10.0 Cisco Systems: Evolution of Structure.
11.0 Hartland Memorial Hospital (A): An Inbox Exercise.
12.0 Perdue Farms.
"I have used this book since it was first published, with both undergrads & MBAs. It seems to be written at a level that is effective for both groups. I chose it because I know Dick and respect his research. I have kept using it because it is not too low level (as many texts are) and it also reflects accurately what is known in this field based on research, rather than what practitioners 'think' is good practice. Of necessity he summarizes some of the research findings rather briefly but usually the models and recommendations are based on empirical findings. I like that Daft also takes an applied focus and provides many examples."
"I very much like the explicit presentation of [the Managing by Design] questions as a launching point to in-class discussion. It would give the students something concrete to start with in terms of preparing for the session's discussion."
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Companion Website
You can conveniently access the instructor’s materials through the companion website, including the Instructor’s Manual, PowerPoint files, and Cognero test bank.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to: import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.