Request for consultation
Reflecting Cengage Learning's commitment to offering flexible teaching solutions and value for students and instructors, this new hybrid version features the instructional presentation found in the printed text while delivering all the end-of-section and end-of-chapter exercises online in OWLv2, the leading online learning system for chemistry.The result--a briefer printed text that engages students online! Help your students improve their grades and understanding of concepts with this value-packed Hybrid Edition of John McMurry's ORGANIC CHEMISTRY, 8th edition. An access code to OWLv2 with MindTap Reader is included with the text, providing students with powerful online resources that include tutorials, simulations, randomized homework questions, videos, an interactive electronic version of the textbook, and more! The fully updated Eighth Edition blends the traditional functional group approach with a mechanistic approach to help students learn both the "what" and the "why" of Organic Chemistry. John McMurry has developed a reputation for crafting precise and accessible texts that speak to the needs of instructors and students, and this hybrid edition continues the tradition. More than a million students worldwide from a full range of universities have mastered organic chemistry through his trademark style.
- ACCESS TO THE LEADING ONLINE LEARNING SYSTEM FOR CHEMISTRY. The book includes an OWLv2 with MindTap Reader access card, which allows your students to log in to the leading online learning system for chemistry and access online resources that include tutorials, simulations, randomized homework questions, videos, and an interactive electronic version of the textbook.
- IMPROVED CHAPTER-ENDING PROBLEM ORGANIZATION. End-of-chapter problems are now grouped by type to assist professors in assigning problems and students in solving them.
- EARLIER COVERAGE OF STEREOCHEMISTRY. Stereochemistry now appears earlier in the book (Chapter 5) to get to this important topic sooner in the course. In addition, Cahn–Ingold–Prelog sequence rules are now introduced in Section 5.5.
- REVISED COVERAGE OF FUNDAMENTAL TOPICS. The revision of activation energies in multistep reactions and the update of all bond dissociation energies in Chapter 6 helps students to better understand this fundamental topic.
- REVISED END-OF-CHAPTER QUESTIONS IN OWLv2. The integrated OWLv2 online learning system includes parameterized end-of-chapter questions, encouraging students to practice multiple questions of the same type with different chemicals, wording, and numbers to ensure their mastery of the underlying chemical concepts.
- REVISED "FOCUS ON" BOXES. These end-of-chapter boxes now present interesting applications of organic chemistry relevant to the particular chapter.
- UPDATED FIGURES. To better coordinate legends with art, step numbers have been added to the legends of all mechanism figures. In addition, all figure references have been more clearly keyed to illustrations via color.
- NEW SUPPLEMENT. SPARTAN MODEL: AN ELECTRONIC MODEL KIT is now available to package with the Eighth Edition for those who want to use this advanced technology resource.
- UNIQUE COVERAGE. McMurry emphasizes organic synthesis as a teaching device to help students organize and work with the large body of factual information that makes up organic chemistry. He also offers an unusually complete treatment of the organic chemistry of nucleic acids and an integrated treatment of polymer chemistry.
- PROBLEM-SOLVING FOCUS. Each chapter contains many worked out examples with "Strategy Statements" that illustrate how to solve problems. Each practice problem and solution is then followed by a similar problem for the student to solve. This provides immediate problem-solving reinforcement for the student.
- AN EXEMPLARY ARRAY OF PROBLEMS. McMurry's extensive problem sets provide students with ample opportunity to practice and master their organic chemistry problem-solving skills.
- HOLISTIC OVERVIEWS. At two key points, McMurry provides an "Overview" to help students grasp the subject matter more holistically. The first "Overview" offers a review of organic mechanisms, while the second discusses the cohesiveness of carbonyl group reactions.
- UNIQUE "VISUALIZING CHEMISTRY" PROBLEMS. These problems challenge students to make the essential connection between typical line-bond drawings and computer-generated molecular models. "Visualizing Chemistry" problems enhance your students' ability to bridge the gap between the microscopic level of molecules and the macroscopic level of daily life.
- VERTICAL FORMAT FOR REACTION MECHANISMS. McMurry's hallmark vertical format is used to explain reaction mechanisms. The mechanisms are printed vertically while explanations of the changes taking place in each step are printed next to the reaction arrow. This allows students to easily see what is occurring at each step in a reaction without having to jump back and forth between the text and structures.
2. Polar Covalent Bonds; Acids and Bases.
3. Organic Compounds: Alkanes and Their Stereochemistry.
4. Organic Compounds: Cycloalkanes and Their Stereochemistry
5. Stereochemistry at Tetrahedral Centers.
6. An Overview of Organic Reactions.
7. Alkenes: Structure and Reactivity.
8. Alkenes: Reactions and Synthesis.
9. Alkynes: An Introduction to Organic Synthesis.
11. Reactions of Alkyl Halides: Nucleophilic Substitutions and Eliminations.
12. Structure Determination: Mass Spectrometry and Infrared Spectroscopy.
13. Structure Determination: Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy.
14. Conjugated Compounds and Ultraviolet Spectroscopy.
15. Benzene and Aromaticity.
16. Chemistry of Benzene: Electrophilic Aromatic Substitution.
17. Alcohols and Phenols.
18. Ethers and Epoxides; Thiols and Sulfides.
Preview of Carbonyl Chemistry.
19. Aldehydes and Ketones: Nucleophilic Addition Reactions.
20. Carboxylic Acids and Nitriles.
21. Carboxylic Acid Derivatives: Nucleophilic Acyl Substitution Reactions.
22. Carbonyl Alpha-Substitution Reactions.
23. Carbonyl Condensation Reactions.
24. Amines and Heterocycles.
25. Biomolecules: Carbohydrates.
26. Biomolecules: Amino Acids, Peptides, and Proteins.
27. Biomolecules: Lipids.
28. Biomolecules: Nucleic Acids.
29. The Organic Chemistry of Metabolic Pathways.
30. Orbitals and Organic Chemistry: Pericyclic Reactions.
31. Synthetic Polymers
"I believe the text's main strength is its strong connection to biology, biochemistry and pharmaceutical chemistry and that this is a direction I would like to move our course. Also, establishing relevance to the world of student's is crucial and this text does a very good job in this area."
"McMurry is very clearly organized. Students find it readable, which is a remarkable accomplishment. The McMurry text has excellent problems and connects well to students interested in the biochemical and medicinal applications of organic chemistry. Although different from most other texts on the market, the introduction of alkene and alkyne reactions prior to substitution/elimination reactions is easily manageable, and in fact simpler, thus providing a smooth entry into organic reactions for new students. McMurry has excellent spectra and makes good use of color. The electrostatic potential maps are helpful at times."
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero is a flexible, online system that allows you to: author, edit, and manage test bank content from multiple Cengage Learning solutions; create multiple test versions in an instant; deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom or wherever you want.
Study Guide with Student Solutions Manual
Help your students study more effectively and improve thir performance at exam time with this comprehensive guide! Written by Susan McMurry, the Study Guide and Solutions Manual provide answers and explanations to all in-text and end-of-chapter exercises. Content has been updated to match the new in-text and end-of-chapter exercises.
Study Guide with Student Solutions Manual
Study more effectively and improve your performance at exam time with this comprehensive guide! Written by Susan McMurry, the Study Guide and Solutions Manual provide answers and explanations to all in-text and end-of-chapter exercises. Content has been updated to match the new in-text and end-of-chapter exercises.