Request for consultation
NUTRITION FOR HEALTH AND HEALTH CARE is a trusted text that demonstrates the important role of nutrition to future nurses and health care professionals in their future careers. The text begins by covering basic nutrition concepts and proceeds with clinical topics organized by organ systems, linking nutrition to different disease states, such as diabetes, renal disease, and liver disorders. Each chapter includes practical information, current research, and clinical practice guidelines for addressing nutrition concerns and incorporating nutrition into care plans. Use all of the valuable resources that accompany NUTRITION FOR HEALTH AND HEALTH CARE to prepare and manage your course.
- Updated information on dietary cholesterol restrictions based on American Heart Association and new Dietary Guidelines information.
- Updated CHD recommendations to reflect the 2013 guidelines from the American Heart Association and American College of Cardiology.
- New Figures: Added figures throughout the text including recommended and actual intakes of food groups, how metabolic syndrome varies among ethnic groups, vegetarian sources and equivalents for protein foods and milk and milk products, and more.
- New Tables: Added tables throughout the text including nutrients of concern, omega-3 fatty acids in fish and seafood, fat options among milk and milk products, USDA Nutrition Standards for Foods Sold in Schools, and more.
- "How To" boxes in various chapters illustrate the application of calculations, nutrition guidelines, or patient care concepts presented in the chapter.
- Updated "Nutrition in Practice" features at the end of every chapter focus on popular trends in the field related to the chapter material.
- Updated examples of nursing diagnoses, new sample menus, and updated therapeutic diet tables connect nutrition concepts to practical patient care.
- NCLEX-style review questions appear in end-of-chapter material to help students better prepare for the national nursing exam.
- "Nutrition Assessment Checklist" boxes highlight the assessment parameters particularly relevant to specific stages of the life cycle or groups of disorders.
- "Clinical Application" sections encourage readers to practice mathematical calculations, synthesize information from previous chapters, or understand how dietary modifications affect patients.
NIP: Finding the Truth about Nutrition.
2. Digestion and Absorption.
NIP: Food Safety.
NIP: The Glycemic Index in Nutrition Practice.
NIP: Figuring Out Fats.
NIP: Vegetarian Diets.
6. Energy Balance and Body Composition.
NIP: Eating Disorders.
7. Weight Management.
NIP: Fad Diets.
8. The Vitamins.
NIP: Phytochemicals and Functional Foods.
9. Water and the Minerals.
NIP: Vitamin and Mineral Supplements.
10. Nutrition through the Life Span: Pregnancy and Lactation.
NIP: Encouraging Successful Breastfeeding.
11. Nutrition through the Life Span: Infancy, Childhood, and Adolescence.
NIP: Childhood Obesity and the Early Development of Chronic Diseases.
12. Nutrition through the Life Span: Later Adulthood.
NIP: Hunger and Community Nutrition.
13. Nutrition Care and Assessment.
NIP: Nutritional Genomics.
14. Nutrition Intervention and Diet-Drug Interactions.
NIP: Complementary and Alternative Therapies.
15. Enteral and Parenteral Nutrition Support.
NIP: Inborn Errors of Metabolism.
16. Nutrition in Metabolic and Respiratory Stress.
NIP: Multiple Organ Dysfunction Syndrome.
17. Nutrition and Upper Gastrointestinal Disorders.
NIP: Nutrition and Oral Health.
18. Nutrition and Lower Gastrointestinal Disorders.
NIP: Probiotics and Intestinal Health.
19. Nutrition and Liver Diseases.
NIP: Alcohol in Health and Disease.
20. Nutrition and Diabetes Mellitus.
NIP: The Metabolic Syndrome.
21. Nutrition and Disorders of the Heart and Blood Vessels.
NIP: Helping People with Feeding Disabilities.
22. Nutrition and Renal Diseases.
23. Nutrition, Cancer, and HIV Infection.
NIP: Ethical Issues in Nutrition Care.
Appendix A. Table of Food Composition.
Appendix B. WHO: Nutrition Recommendations; Canada: Guidelines and Meal Planning.
Appendix C. Food Lists for Diabetes.
Appendix D. Physical Activity and Energy Requirements.
Appendix E. Nutrition Assessment: Supplemental Information.
Appendix F. Aids to Calculation.
Appendix G. Enteral Formulas.
Appendix H. Answers to Self Check Questions.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to: import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.