Request for consultation
Current, practical information in a real-world context for future nurses and health care professionals. NUTRITION FOR HEALTH AND HEALTH CARE is a trusted text that demonstrates the important role of nutrition to future nurses and health care professionals in their future careers. The text begins by covering basic nutrition concepts and proceeds with clinical topics organized by organ systems, linking nutrition to different disease states, such as diabetes, renal disease, and liver disorders. Each chapter includes practical information, current research, and clinical practice guidelines for addressing nutrition concerns and incorporating nutrition into care plans. Use all of the valuable resources that accompany NUTRITION FOR HEALTH AND HEALTH CARE to prepare and manage your course.
- Coverage of new public health initiatives and recommendations, including Healthy People 2020 nutrition and weight status objectives, the 2010
- Coverage of the latest research on the causes and classification of malnutrition, the impact of the built environment on lifestyle and health, the degree of energy restriction required for weight loss, potassium and hypertension, magnesium and disease, benefits of alcohol intake, the clinical effects of altering omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acid intakes, hypocaloric feeding of obese critical care patients, medical treatment of kidney stones, and many other topics.
- Information on emerging trends, such as nutrient profiling, oral supplement products and use, and "room service style" hospital foodservice.
- New figures or photos depicting food package health claims, complex carbohydrate structures, dietary sources of added sugars and solid fats, food choices that saturated with unsaturated fats, pressure sores, and acute effects of insulin deficiency.
- New "How To" feature providing suggestions for reducing added sugars intake.
- New tables on recognizing solid fats on food labels, identifying weight-loss scams, fat- versus water-soluble vitamins, tips for consuming phytochemicals, breast feeding benefits, disorders of nutrient metabolism, prevention of oral disease, high-phosphorus foods, and menus for chronic kidney disease patients.
- Cengage Learning's Nutrition CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support the printed textbook. Watch student comprehension soar as your class works with the printed textbook and the textbook-specific website. Nutrition CourseMate goes beyond the book to deliver what you need! Learn more at cengage.com/coursemate
- "Review Notes" provide concise bulleted reviews of content in the main sections within each chapter.
- "Case Study" boxes in the clinical chapters encourage students to explore how the information presented in the chapter can be applied to real-world situations.
- NCLEX-style review questions appear in end-of-chapter material to help students better prepare for the national nursing exam.
- The "Nursing Diagnosis" marginal features can help nursing students correlate nutrition care with nursing care.
- "Nutrition Assessment Checklist" boxes highlight the assessment parameters particularly relevant to specific stages of the life cycle or groups of disorders.
- "Clinical Application" sections encourage readers to practice mathematical calculations, synthesize information from previous chapters, or understand how dietary modifications affect patients.
- "How To" boxes in various chapters illustrate the application of calculations, nutrition guidelines, or patient care concepts presented in the chapter.
- "Diet-Drug Interaction" boxes identify important nutrient-drug and food-drug interactions.
- Updated "Nutrition in Practice" features at the end of every chapter focus on popular trends in the field related to the chapter material.
- Thoroughly updated with the latest nutrition research and clinical practice guidelines, including information on the
- Updated examples of nursing diagnoses, new sample menus, and updated therapeutic diet tables connect nutrition concepts to practical patient care.
2. Digestion and Absorption.
6. Energy Balance and Body Composition.
7. Weight Management: Overweight and Underweight.
8. The Vitamins.
9. Water and the Minerals.
10. Nutrition through the Life Span: Pregnancy and Infancy.
11. Nutrition through the Life Span: Childhood and Adolescence.
12. Nutrition through the Life Span: Later Adulthood.
13. Nutrition Care and Assessment.
14. Nutrition Intervention and Diet-Drug Interactions.
15. Enteral and Parenteral Nutrition Support.
16. Nutrition in Metabolic and Respiratory Stress.
17. Nutrition and Upper Gastrointestinal Disorders.
18. Nutrition and Lower Gastrointestinal Disorders.
19. Nutrition and Liver Diseases.
20. Nutrition and Diabetes Mellitus.
21. Nutrition and Disorders of the Heart and Blood Vessels.
22. Nutrition and Renal Diseases.
23. Nutrition, Cancer, and HIV Infection.
Appendix A: Table of Food Composition.
Appendix B: WHO: Nutrition Recommendations; Canada: Guidelines and Meal Planning.
Appendix C: Exchange Lists for Diabetes.
Appendix D: Physical Activity and Energy Requirements.
Appendix E: Nutrition Assessment: Supplemental Information.
Appendix F: Aids to Calculation.
Appendix G: Enteral Formulas.
Appendix H: Answers to Self Check.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to: import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.