Request for consultation
NUTRITION, EXERCISE, AND BEHAVIOR: AN INTEGRATED APPROACH TO WEIGHT MANAGEMENT, 3rd edition, is designed for students and professionals in a variety of disciplines who need to understand the basic principles of weight management. It incorporates a multifaceted, public health approach to issues of weight management—examining not only individual factors, but societal, family, and environmental factors contributing to eating disorders and overweight/obesity. The text includes detailed coverage of assessment techniques, behavioral and non-behavioral treatment approaches, and prevention strategies.
- All chapters have been extensively revised. A sociological framework has been added to each chapter. Substantive content changes include information regarding the Public Health Model of Prevention and Obesity; comorbidities of being under- or overweight; how physical activity is assessed; diet planning and appropriate caloric intake for losing or gaining weight; diet planning guides; and the effects of low-caloric diets.
- "Case Study" boxes have been replaced by "Application Boxes," which include case studies and new group work, exercises, homework, etc.
- New tables and figures have been added to match the updated content.
- Chapter 11 has been retitled "Lifestyle Management to Promote to Health and Weight Management" and has been significantly updated and reorganized.
- The text examines the role of issues such as nutrition, exercise physiology, the environment, and human behavior in its holistic approach to overall weight management.
- Each chapter includes application boxes with exercises, case studies, or assignments that allow students to apply key concepts from the chapter to real-life situations. Examples include a "Physical Activity Assessment" in Chapter 6 and "Diet Analysis" in Chapter 9.
1. Overweight, Underweight, and Obesity.
2. Assessment of Body Weight, Body Composition, and Associated Comorbidities.
3. Eating Disorders.
PART II BIOLOGICAL ASPECTS OF WEIGHT MANAGEMENT.
4. Energy Metabolism.
5. Regulation of Eating Behavior and Body Weight.
PART III PHYSICAL ACTIVITY FOR HEALTH AND WEIGHT MANAGEMENT.
6. Physical Activity and Exercise: The Basics.
7. Physical Activity, Health, and Weight Management.
PART IV NUTRITION FOR HEALTH AND WEIGHT MANAGEMENT.
8. Healthy Diet: The Basics.
9. Dietary Approaches to Weight Management.
PART V APPROACHES TO WEIGHT MANAGEMENT.
10. Weight Loss Drugs, Commercial and Fad Diets, Supplements, and Surgery.
11. Lifestyle Modification to Promote Health and Weight Management.