Request for consultation
NUTRITION & DIET THERAPY11E is an updated introduction to the essentials of nutrition concepts, good health and client care that will provide your nursing students with a solid foundation in nutrition. This book addresses misconceptions presented in the media about the link between good nutrition and good health and will enable your students to more effectively help their clients improve their nutrition and overall health. NUTRITION & DIET THERAPY 11E is organized around three simple concepts. Section One covers the fundamentals of nutrition, Section Two explains how to maintain good health through nutrition and Section Three addresses the nutrition therapy concepts nurses need to know.
- Contains newly revised chapters and research.
- Includes new In the Media boxes.
- Contains new information regarding the 2010 Dietary Guidelines and MyPlate.
- Contains updated Recommended Dietary Allowances (RDA) and Daily Recommended Intake (DRI).
- New - vitamin D3 recommendations and current research for all ages about the importance of increasing vitamin D3 intake.
- New - diet quality of children in America, new information on ADHD and diet, and expanded information on eating disorders.
- New - information on weight management across the lifecycle and obesity trends in kids and adults.
- New - an expanded list of oral medications used to treat diabetes, and a new chart of insulin currently available to treat diabetes.
- New information on Americans with diabetes, an expanded list of oral medications used to treat diabetes, and a new chart of insulin currently available to treat diabetes.
- New information on Celiac Disease, the growing incidence of gluten sensitivity,and Crohn's disease.
- Includes new Case In Points and Rate the Plates.
- Includes updated Supersize USA boxes.
- Provides your students with a broad introduction to nutrition concepts, presented in a basic, applied level, with little detailed physiology or biochemistry and emphasizes practical, hands-on training in essential areas.
- Gives your students a solid foundation in the basic principles and concepts of good nutrition, allowing them to help clients debunk popular nutrition myths and move toward better health through nutritional awareness.
- Has a clean, open look and straightforward presentation, avoiding the complex explanations, dense text, and complicated illustrations and tables that are characteristic of the higher-level nutrition titles.
- Contains three simple concepts that provide the broad organizational structure of the book: Section 1 covers the fundamentals of nutrition, Section 2 explains how to maintain good health through nutrition, and Section 3 addresses the nutrition therapy concepts students need to know as future nurses.
- Includes Exploring the Web feature that gives your students mini research assignments, case studies (two per chapter) that conclude each chapter, Rate This Plate feature that allows your students to critique meals chosen for the patients profiled in the case studies and StudyWARE™ that has practice quizzes, flash cards, crosswords, answers to case in point sections, answers to review questions and information about nutrition and special diets.
2. Planning a Healthy Diet.
3. Digestion, Absorption, and Metabolism.
5. Lipids (Fats).
10. Foodborne Illnesses and Allergies.
11. Nutrition during Pregnancy and Lactation.
12. Nutrition during Infancy.
13. Nutrition for Children and Adolescents.
14. Nutrition during Young and Middle Adulthood.
15. Nutrition during Late Adulthood.
16. Weight Management across the Lifecycle.
17. Diet and Diabetes Mellitus.
18. Diet and Cardiovascular Disease.
19. Diet and Renal Disease.
20. Diet and Gastrointestinal Problems.
21. Diet and Cancer.
22. Diet and Clients with Special Needs.
23. Nutritional Care of Clients.
"In the Case In Points, I love how the author not only presents a realistic life situation, but uses the nursing process to promote critical thinking. Most authors that I have read who use the Nursing Process tend to "give" the information without leading the reader to seek out the information. The author of this text provides questions under the various parts of the Nursing Process that stimulates discussion and thinking."
"I found the information in each chapter to be the most recent information and recommendations. In fact, some of the recommendations were new to me."
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Companion Website
Everything you need for your course in one place! This collection of book-specific lecture and class tools is available online via www.cengage.com/login. Access and download the instructor's manual, PowerPoint slides, and test bank.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.