Request for consultation
Why not have it ALL for your Introductory Nutrition course? With Sizer/Whitney's NUTRITION: CONCEPTS AND CONTROVERSIES 13e you can! A trusted author team with unparalleled research and excellent writing. A modern textbook thoroughly updated and with relevant applications A superior program integrated with market-leading Diet Analysis software to meet all teaching and learning objectives. Updated throughout—from content to design and art—the new Thirteenth Edition continues to focus on core nutrition principles and their personal applications while offering outstanding coverage of the biological foundations of nutrition without assuming previous knowledge. The authors' lively, approachable writing style gives students just the right amount of detail—striking the perfect balance between scientific research, core concepts, and applications that provide a meaningful context for students. Drawing readers into the study of nutrition, the text dispels students' existing misconceptions, and empowers them to make better nutrition choices and enact real, lasting behavior change. Available with InfoTrac® Student Collections http://gocengage.com/infotrac.
- Completely updated with MyPlate food guidance system, Dietary Guidelines for Americans 2010, and Nutrition-Related Healthy People 2020 Objectives, along with new recommendations for calcium and vitamin D and new guidelines for sodium intake.
- Consumer Corner has been completely revamped as "A Consumer's Guide to..." The new features guide readers with scientific clarity through an often bewildering marketplace, preparing them to move ahead with sound decisions regarding whole-grain foods, safe seafood choices, amino acid supplements, calorie-rich beverages, organic foods, and many others. Each section ends with review questions, new to this edition.
- InfoTrac® Student Collections are specialized databases expertly drawn from the Gale Academic One library. Each InfoTrac® Student Collection enhances the student learning experience in the specific course area related to the product. These specialized databases allow access to hundreds of scholarly and popular publications - all reliable sources - including journals, encyclopedias, and academic reports. Learn more and access at: http://gocengage.com/infotrac.
- Controversies, at the close of each chapter, now contain critical thinking questions.
- Chapters open with "What Do You Think?" questions designed to identify misconceptions students may have and end with "What Did You Decide?" to encourage to clarify their thinking based on the chapter's concepts.
- Chapter 9 has been substantially revised to reflect the latest research on obesity/overweight.
- Hundreds of content updates appear throughout the book.
- Margin notes have been substantially reduced and categorized as "Did You Know?" and "Do the Math".
- "Food Feature" boxes that appear in most chapters act as bridges between theory and practice; they are practical applications of the chapter concepts that help readers to choose foods according to sound nutrition principles.
- "Controversy" end-of-chapter essays provide a balanced view of scientific evidence regarding current and emerging topics in nutrition. Each Controversy has been thoroughly updated, and there is new information on vegetarian diet planning, supplements, antioxidant-rich foods, and more.
- In-chapter resources promote learning and understanding. Marginal notes within each chapter highlight key terms. End-of-chapter "Self-Checks" enable students to evaluate their progress. And "Think Fitness" boxes emphasize the connection and the interdependency of fitness and nutrition for total health.
- Diet Analysis Plus lets students track their diet and physical activity, and analyze the nutritional value of the food they eat so they can adjust their diets to reach personal health goals—all while gaining a better understanding of how the concepts in the text relate to, and impact, their lives. It includes a 20,000+ food database; 11 customizable reports for analysis; 10 assignable labs; custom food and recipe features; the latest Dietary Reference Intakes; and goals and actual percentages of essential nutrients, vitamins, and minerals.
- Both the narrative and the design of this text are accessible and reader-friendly. As engaging, clear, and accurate as ever, the narrative now has a new crispness and refinement, with more subheadings to help focus students' attention on important chapter content and engage them in reading. A dynamic new design, including an updated art and photo program, illustrates and reinforces key concepts with even greater clarity. Plus, many of the chapter figures have also been made into animations (noted by "Animated" in the label), bringing dimension and movement to learning.
- Appearing in each chapter, "Concepts in Action" features integrate Diet Analysis Plus activities to relate chapter concepts to students' lives.
- Pop-up Tutors (short videos) in MindTap give students extra help on difficult concepts, such as protein synthesis and metabolism.
A Lifetime of Nourishment, Healthy People: Nutrition Objectives for the Nation, The Human Body and Its Food, The Challenge of Choosing Foods, The Science of Nutrition, Changing Behaviors, Food Feature: How Can I Get Enough Nutrients Without Consuming Too Many Calories?, Self Check, Glossary, Controversy: Sorting the Imposters from the Real Nutrition Experts, Notes.
2. NUTRITION TOOLS – STANDARDS AND GUIDELINES.
Nutrient Recommendations, Dietary Guidelines for Americans, Diet Planning with the USDA Food Patterns, Diet Planning Application, Checking Out Food Labels, Food Feature: Getting a Feel for the Nutrients in Foods, Self Check, Glossary, Controversy: Are Some Foods "Superfoods" for Health?, Notes.
3. THE REMARKABLE BODY.
The Body''s Cells, The Body Fluids and The Cardiovascular System, The Hormonal and Nervous Systems, The Immune System, The Digestive System, A Letter From Your Digestive Tract, The Excretory System, Storage Systems, Conclusion, Self Check, Glossary, Controversy: Alcohol and Nutrition: Do the Benefits Outweigh the Risks?, Notes.
4. THE CARBOHYDRATES: SUGAR, STARCH, GLYCOGEN, AND FIBER
A Close Look at Carbohydrates, The Need for Carbohydrates, From Carbohydrates to Glucose, The Body''s Use of Glucose, Diabetes, Management of Diabetes, If I Feel Dizzy Between Meals, Do I Have Hypoglycemia?, Conclusion, Food Feature: Finding the Carbohydrates in Foods, Self Check, Are Certain Carbohydrates "Bad" for Health?, Glossary.
5. THE LIPIDS: FATS, OILS, PHOSPHOLIPIDS, AND STEROLS.
Introducing the Lipids, A Close Look at Lipids, Lipids in the Body, Storing and Using the Body''s Fat, Dietary Fat, Cholesterol, and Health, Essential Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids, The Effects of Processing on Unsaturated Fats, Fat in the Diet, Food Feature: Defensive Dining, Self Check, Glossary, Controversy File: Good Fats and Bad Fats – Which Are Which?, Notes.
6. THE PROTEINS AND AMINO ACIDS.
The Structure of Proteins, Digestion and Absorption of Dietary Protein, The Importance of Protein, Food Protein: Need and Quality, Protein Deficiency and Excess, Food Feature: Getting Enough But Not Too Much Protein, Self Check, Glossary, Controversy: Vegetarian and Meat-Containing Diets: What are the Benefits and Pitfalls, Notes.
7. THE VITAMINS.
Definition and Classification of Vitamins, The Fat-Soluble Vitamins, Vitamin A, Vitamin D, Vitamin E, Vitamin K, The Water-Soluble Vitamins, Vitamin C, The B Vitamins in Unison, The B Vitamins as Individuals, Food Feature: Choosing Food Rich in Vitamins, Controversy: Vitamin Supplements: Pros and Cons, Notes.
8. WATER AND MINERALS.
Water, Drinking Water: Types, Safety, and Sources, Body Fluids and Minerals, The Major Minerals, The Trace Minerals, Food Feature Meeting the Need for Calcium, Glossary, Controversy File: Osteoporosis: Can Lifestyle Choices Reduce the Risks?, Notes.
9. ENERGY BALANCE AND HEALTHY BODY WEIGHT.
The Problems of Too Little or Too Much Body Fat, The Body''s Energy Balance, Body Weight Versus Body Fatness, The Appetite and Its Control, Inside-the-Body Theories of Obesity, Outside-the-Body Theories of Obesity, How the Body Loses and Gains Weight, Achieving and Maintaining a Healthy Body Weight, Conclusion, Food Feature: Behavior Modification for Weight Control, Self Check, Glossary, Controversy: The Perils of Eating Disorders, Notes.
10. NUTRIENTS, PHYSICAL ACTIVITY, AND THE BODY''S RESPONSES.
Fitness, The Essentials of Fitness, The Active Body''s Use of Fuels, Vitamins and Minerals – Keys to Performance, Fluids and Temperature Regulation in Physical Activity, Food Feature: Choosing a Performance Diet, Controversy: Ergogenic Aids, Glossary, Notes.
11. DIET AND HEALTH.
The Immune System, Nutrition, and Diseases, The Concept of Risk Factors, Cardiovascular Diseases, Nutrition and Hypertension, Nutrition and Cancer, Conclusion, Food Feature: The Dash Diet: Preventive Medicine, Self Check, Glossary, Controversy: Nutritional Genomics: Can It Help Prevent Chronic Diseases?, Notes.
12. FOOD SAFETY AND FOOD TECHNOLOGY.
Microbes and Food Safety, Which Foods are Most Likely to Cause Illness?, Advances in Microbial Food Safety, Toxins, Residues, and Contaminants in Foods, Are Food Additives Safe?, Food Feature: Processing and the Nutrients in Foods, Glossary, Controversy: Genetically Modified Foods: What Are the Pros and Cons?, Notes.
13. LIFE CYCLE NUTRITION: MOTHER AND INFANT.
Pregnancy: The Impact of Nutrition on the Future, Drinking during Pregnancy, Troubleshooting, Feeding the Infant, Food Feature: Mealtimes with Infants, Concepts in Action: Analyze the Adequacy of a Diet for Pregnancy, Controversy: Childhood Obesity and Early Chronic Diseases, Notes.
14. CHILD, TEEN, AND OLDER ADULT.
Early and Middle Childhood, Nutrition in Adolescence, The Later Years, Nutrition in the Later Years, Food Feature: Single Survival and Nutrition on the Run, Controversy: Nutrient-Drug Interactions: Who Should be Concerned, Notes.
15. HUNGER AND THE GLOBAL ENVIRONMENT.
U.S. Food Insecurity, World Poverty and Hunger, The Malnutrition of Extreme Poverty, The Food Supply and the Environment, A World Moving Toward Solutions, How Can People Help?, Glossary, Controversy: Towards Sustainable Food Production: The Future of Food, Notes.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Web Site
Everything you need for your course in one place! This collection of product-specific lecture and class tools is available online via the instructor resource center at www.cengage.com/login. You'll be able to access and download materials such as PowerPoint presentations, images, instructor’s manual, videos, and more.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to: import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.