Request for consultation
NATURAL HAZARDS AND DISASTERS, 5e brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools along with up-to-date, market-leading text content. Adopt the resources that enable your students to purchase the right solution to meet their needs, whether it’s a traditional printed text, all digital learning platform, or package that includes the best of both worlds. With the fully updated NATURAL HAZARDS AND DISASTERS and CourseMate’s interactive teaching and learning tools, it’s never been easier to help students understand the underlying geological processes, explore the impact these processes have on humans and vice versa, and analyze strategies for mitigating these hazards’ physical and financial harm.
- COVERAGE OF NEW DISASTERS includes: earthquakes in Nepal and Napa; the Oso landslide; the Moore, OK tornado and the California drought; flash floods near Denver; Hurricane Sandy; wildfires in Colorado and Arizona; and the Chelyabinsk meteor in Russia.
- EXPANDED COVERAGE of key topics includes information on the polar vortex and new insights on earthquakes associated with fracking.
- GLOBAL WARMING AND CLIMATE CHANGE is now presented in two chapters to accommodate new findings.
- NEW SURVIVAL GUIDES highlight information to keep in mind when preparing for or encountering a significant natural hazard.
- CRITICAL VIEW features ask students to use what they have learned in the chapters to analyze potential hazards in photographs of real situations.
- CRITICAL THINKING QUESTIONS at the end of each chapter help students apply concepts from the chapter to difficult real-life situations.
- BY THE NUMBERS boxes present quantitative aspects of the concepts explained in the book, offering instructors the flexibility to incorporate more or less of this material according to their preferences.
- CASES IN POINT bring to life real examples of recent disasters, with questions to engage students in the issues.
2. Plate Tectonics and Physical Hazards.
3. Earthquakes and Their Causes.
4. Earthquake Predictions, Forecasts, and Mitigation.
6. Volcanoes: Tectonic Environments and Eruptions.
7. Volcanoes: Hazards and Mitigation.
8. Landslides and Other Downslope Movements.
9. Sinkholes, Land Subsidence, and Swelling Soils.
10. Weather, Thunderstorms, and Tornadoes.
11. Climate Change: Processes and History
12. Climate Change: Impacts and Mitigation
13. Streams and Flood Processes.
14. Floods and Human Interactions.
15. Waves, Beaches, and Coastal Erosion.
16. Hurricanes and Nor’easters.
18. Asteroids and Comet Impacts.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Web Site
Everything you need for your course in one place! This collection of product-specific lecture and class tools is available online via the instructor resource center at www.cengage.com/login. You'll be able to access and download materials such as PowerPoint presentations, images, instructor’s manual, videos, and more.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero®, is a flexible, online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate content from the text’s test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.
Instructor Sample/Review copy of Natural Hazards and Disasters.