Request for consultation
ARCHITECTURAL DRAFTING AND DESIGN, 6E is the classic text for all architectural drafters and CAD operators, whether beginning, intermediate, or advanced. This full-color, comprehensive edition provides the basics of residential design, using various types of projects that a designer or architect is likely to complete during the actual design process and is written to meet the most recent editions of IRC and IBC. This book begins with information on architectural styles that have dominated the field over the last four centuries, followed by basic design components related to the site and structure. Commercial drafting, basic materials used for construction, common construction methods and drawings typically associated with commercial construction are all covered. An important feature of this best-seller is its step-by-step instructions for the design and layout of each type of drawing associated with a complete set of architectural plans, with projects that can be completed using either CAD or manual drawing methods. Readers will gain the knowledge needed to complete the drawings required by most municipalities to obtain a building permit for a single-family residence.
- Introduces LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design Green Building Rating System) and the 2008 National Green Building Standard™ published by the National Association of Home Builders and International Code Council”
- Introduces the model codes that govern most construction in the United States, including the 2009 International Residential Code (IRC), the International Building Code (IBC) and the 2009 International Energy Conservation Code (IECC).
- Introduces ICC/ANSI A117.1-2003 Accessible and Usable Buildings and Facilities Standards and their effect on multi-family projects.
- Discusses thoroughly the 2004 Edition of the MasterFormat numbering system published by the Construction Specifications Institute (CSI).
- Includes CADD standards based on the National CAD Standard (NCS).
- Updated organization. Streamlined from 47 to 45 chapters, the 6th edition is still extremely thorough covering all facets of architectural drafting and design. Additional supplementary content has been removed from the book and placed on the back-of-book CD to allow for a more readable and user-friendly format.
- Includes fully up-to-date color photos, CAD-generated drawings, detailed floor plans, plus architectural sketches and renderings that focus readers on key architectural design principles and increase comprehension for visual learners.
- Showcases sketches and drawings of professional drafters, designers, architects, and engineers to provide alternative presentation methods as used in industry.
- Features expanded coverage of green construction, including new "Going Green" boxes that focus on up-to-the-minute information on the best and latest environmentally-friendly construction materials and techniques.
- Includes a robust back-of-book CD that includes supplemental chapter readings, step-by-step layout drawings, chapter tests, checklists, drawing problems, drawing templates, architectural blocks and symbols, web links, video clips, review questions and a student workbook. CD icons located throughout the text prompt the reader to seek out additional information relating to chapter-specific topics found on the CD.
1. Professionals Architectural Careers, Office Practice and Opportunities.
2. Introduction to Construction Procedures.
3. Architectural Drafting Equipment.
4. Drafting Media and Reproduction Methods.
5. Sketching Applications.
6. Architectural Lines and Lettering.
7. Computer-Aided Design and Drafting in Architecture.
PART II: RESIDENTIAL DESIGN.
8. Construction Specifications.
9. Guidelines and Required Codes that Affect Building Design.
10. Room Relationships and Sizes.
11. Exterior Design Factors.
12. Conservation and Environmental Design and Construction.
PART III: SITE PLANNING.
13. Site Orientation.
14. Legal Descriptions and Site Plan Requirements.
15. Site Plan Layout.
PART IV: THE FLOOR PLAN.
16. Floor Plan Symbols.
17. Floor Plan Dimensions and Notes.
18. Floor Plan Layout.
PART V: SUPPLEMENTAL FLOOR PLAN DRAWINGS.
19. Electrical Plans.
20. Plumbing Plans.
21. Heating, Ventilating and Air-Conditioning.
PART VI: ROOF PLANS.
22. Roof Plan Components.
23. Roof Plan Layout.
PART VII: ELEVATIONS.
24. Introduction to Elevations.
25. Elevation Layout and Drawing Techniques.
26. Millwork and Cabinet Technology, Cabinet Elevations and Layout.
PART VIII: FRAMING METHODS AND PLANS.
27. Environmentally Friendly Framing Methods.
28. Structural Components of Framed Construction.
29. Design Criteria for Structural Loading.
30. Sizing Joist and Rafters Using Span Tables.
31. Determining Simple Beams.
32. Drawing Framing Plans.
PART IX: FOUNDATIONS PLANS.
33. Foundation Systems.
34. Floor Systems and Foundation Support.
35. Foundation Plan Layout.
PART X: SECTIONS AND DETAILS.
36. Sectioning Basics.
37. Section Layout.
38. Alternate Layout Techniques.
39. Stair Construction and Layout.
40. Fireplace Construction and Layout.
PART XI: PRESENTATION DRAWINGS.
41. Presentation Drawings.
41. S1(On CD) Perspective Drawing Techniques.
41. S2(On CD) Rendering Methods for Perspective Drawings.
PART XII: COMMERCIAL DRAFTING.
42. Building Codes and Commercial Design.
43. Common Commercial Construction Materials.
44. Commercial Construction Project Drawings.
45. Structural Drafting.