Request for consultation
With a long history of innovation in the market, Larson/Edwards’ CALCULUS has been widely praised by a generation of students and professors for solid and effective pedagogy that addresses the needs of a broad range of teaching and learning styles and environments. Each title in the series is one component in a comprehensive calculus course program that carefully integrates and coordinates print, media, and technology products for successful teaching and learning. WebAssign is a flexible and fully customizable online instructional solution that puts powerful tools in your hands, enabling you to deploy assignments, add your own content, instantly assess individual student and class performance, and and help your students master course concepts.
- Stepped-out solution videos with instruction are available at CalcView.com for selected exercises throughout the text. The selected textbook exercises will have a QR code next to the exercise number for easy access via a smart phone.
- More conceptual exercises have been added to help students better understand the concepts being taught in each section.
- The Section Projects have been carefully and extensively examined to ensure they are rigorous and relevant. The authors have added and revised a number of these projects.
- WEBASSIGN: MULTIVARIABLE CALCULUS, Eleventh Edition, is the powerful online homework and course management system that engages students in learning the math. WebAssign includes new end-of-chapter exercises, animated simulations, and pre-built assignments vetted by trusted subject matter experts along with robust course, section, assignment, and question settings and online testing to help instructors foster a deeper understanding of course concepts.
- The How Do You See It? exercise in each section presents a problem that students solve by visual inspection using the concepts learned in the lesson.
- Remarks - These hints and tips can be used to reinforce or expand upon concepts, help students learn how to study mathematics, caution them against common errors, address special cases, or show alternative or additional steps to a solution of an example.
- Exercise Sets - The exercise sets have been carefully and extensively examined to ensure they are rigorous, relevant, and cover all topics suggested by our users. Multi-step, real-life exercises reinforce problem-solving skills and mastery of concepts by giving students the opportunity to apply the concepts in real-life situations. Putnam Exam questions push the limits of students’ understanding of calculus. Graphing technology exercises for students make use of a graphing utility to help find solutions.
- Graded Homework Exercises - Online homework and tests are evaluated using powerful Maple software to ensure mathematical accuracy. Instructors control point values, weighting grades, and whether or not an item is graded. An electronic gradebook helps instructors manage course information easily and can be exported to other files, such as Excel.
- LarsonCalculus.com – The authors created a free website offering many valuable resources, including Proof Videos (watch co-author Bruce Edwards present theorems and explain their proofs); Calculus Videos (watch Dana Mosely explain concepts of calculus); Interactive Examples (explore examples using Wolfram’s free CDF player, plug-in required); Rotatable Graphs (view and rotate three-dimensional graphs using Wolfram’s free CDF player).
Vectors in the Plane. Space Coordinates and Vectors in Space. The Dot Product of Two Vectors. The Cross Product of Two Vectors in Space. Lines and Planes in Space. Section Project: Distances in Space. Surfaces in Space. Cylindrical and Spherical Coordinates. Review Exercises. P.S. Problem Solving.
12. VECTOR-VALUED FUNCTIONS.
Vector-Valued Functions. Section Project: Witch of Agnesi. Differentiation and Integration of Vector-Valued Functions. Velocity and Acceleration. Tangent Vectors and Normal Vectors. Arc Length and Curvature. Review Exercises. P.S. Problem Solving.
13. FUNCTIONS OF SEVERAL VARIABLES.
Introduction to Functions of Several Variables. Limits and Continuity. Partial Derivatives. Differentials. Chain Rules for Functions of Several Variables. Directional Derivatives and Gradients. Tangent Planes and Normal Lines. Section Project: Wildflowers. Extrema of Functions of Two Variables. Applications of Extrema of Functions of Two Variables. Section Project: Building a Pipeline. Lagrange Multipliers. Review Exercises. P.S. Problem Solving.
14. MULTIPLE INTEGRATION.
Iterated Integrals and Area in the Plane. Double Integrals and Volume. Change of Variables: Polar Coordinates. Center of Mass and Moments of Inertia. Section Project: Center of Pressure on a Sail. Surface Area. Section Project: Surface Area in Polar Coordinates. Triple Integrals and Applications. Triple Integrals in Cylindrical and Spherical Coordinates. Section Project: Wrinkled and Bumpy Spheres. Change of Variables: Jacobians. Review Exercises. P.S. Problem Solving.
15. VECTOR ANALYSIS.
Vector Fields. Line Integrals. Conservative Vector Fields and Independence of Path. Green's Theorem. Section Project: Hyperbolic and Trigonometric Functions. Parametric Surfaces. Surface Integrals. Section Project: Hyperboloid of One Sheet. Divergence Theorem. Stokes' Theorem. Review Exercises. Section Project: The Planimeter. P.S. Problem Solving.
16. SECOND ORDER DIFFERENTIAL EQUATIONS.
Exact First-Order Equations. Second-Order Homogeneous Linear Equations. Second-Order Nonhomogeneous Linear Equations. Section Project: Parachute Jump. Series Solutions of Differential Equations. Review Exercises. P.S. Problem Solving.
A. Proofs of Selected Theorems.
B. Integration Tables.
C. Precalculus Review (Web).
C.1. Real Numbers and the Real Number Line.
C.2. The Cartesian Plane.
D. Rotation and the General Second-Degree Equation (Web).
E. Complex Numbers (Web).
F. Business and Economic Applications (Web).
G. Fitting Models to Data (Web).
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
This manual contains worked-out solutions to all exercises in Chapters 11-16 of CALCULUS: EARLY TRANSCENDENTAL FUNCTIONS, Seventh Edition.
Microsoft® PowerPoint® slides and image library for the entire book, posted on the Instructor Companion Website, let you incorporate images from the book right into your lectures. Also posted on the Instructor Companion site, is the Complete Solutions Manual for Larson/Edwards, Calculus, 11th manual provides complete solutions to all the exercises from the text.
Instructor's Resource Guide
The robust Instructor’s Resource Guide contains an abundance of resources to aid instructors in preparing and presenting text material in a manner that meets their personal preferences and course needs. It provides a variety of tools keyed to the textbook at the section and chapter level, including section objectives, teaching tips, and chapter projects. An electronic version of the Instructor Guide is available on the PowerLecture DVD.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to author, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want. This is available online via www.cengage.com/login.
Student Solutions Manual
This manual contains worked-out solutions for all odd-numbered exercises for Chapters 11-16 in Larson/Edwards' CALCULUS: EARLY TRANSCENDENTAL FUNCTIONS, 7th Edition.