Request for consultation
The Larson Calculus program has a long history of innovation in the calculus market. It has been widely praised by a generation of students and professors for its solid and effective pedagogy that addresses the needs of a broad range of teaching and learning styles and environments. Each title is just one component in a comprehensive calculus course program that carefully integrates and coordinates print, media, and technology products for successful teaching and learning.
- New! Capstone exercise: The Capstone is a new type of exercise that appears in every section. The exercise synthesizes the main concepts of the section and presents them in one exercise. They often contain computational and non-computational parts. These exercises are excellent to work through in class to present a topic for the first time or in class homework review. The Instructor's Resource Guide offers teaching tips on how one might use the Capstone Exercises in class.
- Exercises—revised based on actual usage! New exercises abound in the ninth edition of CALCULUS. Based on analyses of actual student usage data, the exercise sets have been overhauled to improve student understanding. Many exercises were added, some were revised, and some were removed. The results are exercise sets that effectively address student learning needs.
- New! Second Order Differential Equations: Added as a new chapter to the multivariable standalone portion of the book and available online, this new chapter delves into second order differential equations. This will greatly help engineering and math majors.
- New! Enhanced WebAssign Course: The Larson EWA course has over 3,900 textbook questions which have been drawn from the book, and offer more coverage of problems and topics than most online homework programs for Calculus. The EWA course for Larson CALCULUS will present numerous section-level video lessons by Dana Mosely and animated tutorials. In addition to these assets, the course includes exercise-level features: Read It, Watch It, Master It, and Chat About It links. These tools benefit students with varied learning styles to ensure they get the most out of their online learning experience.
- Graded Homework Exercises— Online homework and tests are evaluated using powerful Maple software to ensure mathematical accuracy. Instructors control point values, weighting grades, and whether of not an item is graded. An electronic gradebook helps instructors manage course information easily and can be exported to other files, such as Excel.
- CAS Investigation: Many examples throughout the book are accompanied by CAS Investigations. These are collaborative investigations using a computer algebra system (e.g., Maple) to further explore the related example. CAS Investigations are located online and in the Multimedia eBook.
- Writing Style: Simple, mathematically precise instruction and directions are clear and easy to understand for students.
- Linked Examples and Exercises: The Larson program has long been recognized as offering many more examples than most calculus texts. Examples are broken down into critical steps, with careful use of color and design to emphasize the process. Each is linked to problems in the exercise sets, giving students a way to learn or review material as they do their homework.
- Instructor Resource Guide w/Solutions—The instructor's resource contains an abundance of resources keyed to the textbook by chapter and section, including chapter summaries, teaching strategies, multiple versions of chapter tests, final exams, gateway tests, and suggested solutions to the Chapter Openers, Explorations, Section Projects, and Technology features in the text.
11. VECTORS AND THE GEOMETRY OF SPACE.
Vectors in the Plane. Space Coordinates and Vectors in Space. The Dot Product of Two Vectors. The Cross Product of Two Vectors in Space. Lines and Planes in Space Section Project: Distances in Space. Surfaces in Space. Cylindrical and Spherical Coordinates Review Exercises P.S. Problem Solving.
12. VECTOR-VALUED FUNCTIONS.
Vector-Valued Functions Section Project: Witch of Agnesi. Differentiation and Integration of Vector-Valued Functions. Velocity and Acceleration. Tangent Vectors and Normal Vectors. Arc Length and Curvature Review Exercises P.S. Problem Solving.
13. FUNCTIONS OF SEVERAL VARIABLES.
Introduction to Functions of Several Variables. Limits and Continuity. Partial Derivatives Section Project: Moiré Fringes. Differentials. Chain Rules for Functions of Several Variables. Directional Derivatives and Gradients. Tangent Planes and Normal Lines Section Project: Wildflowers. Extrema of Functions of Two Variables. Applications of Extrema of Functions of Two Variables Section Project: Building a Pipeline. Lagrange Multipliers Review Exercises P.S. Problem Solving.
14. MULTIPLE INTEGRATION.
Iterated Integrals and Area in the Plane. Double Integrals and Volume. Change of Variables: Polar Coordinates. Center of Mass and Moments of Inertia Section Project: Center of Pressure on a Sail. Surface Area Section Project: Capillary Action. Triple Integrals and Applications. Triple Integrals in Cylindrical and Spherical Coordinates Section Project: Wrinkled and Bumpy Spheres. Change of Variables: Jacobians Review Exercises P.S. Problem Solving.
15. VECTOR ANALYSIS.
Vector Fields. Line Integrals. Conservative Vector Fields and Independence of Path. Green's Theorem Section Project: Hyperbolic and Trigonometric Functions. Parametric Surfaces. Surface Integrals Section Project: Hyperboloid of One Sheet. Divergence Theorem. Stokes's Theorem Review Exercises Section Project: The Planimeter P.S. Problem Solving. Bonus Online Material.
16. ADDITIONAL TOPICS IN DIFFERENTIAL EQUATIONS(please visit URL to come).
Exact First-Order Equations. Second-Order Homogeneous Linear Equations. Second-Order Nonhomogeneous Linear Equations. Section Project: Parachute Jump. Series Solutions of Differential Equations. Review Exercises. P.S. Problem Solving.
A. Proofs of Selected Theorems.
B. Integration Tables.
C. Precalculus Review (please visit URL to come) C.1 Real Numbers and the Real Number Line C.2 The Cartesian Plane C.3 Review of Trigonometric Functions.
D. Rotation and the General Second-Degree Equation (please visit URL to come).
E. Complex Numbers (please visit URL to come).
F. Business and Economic Applications (please visit URL to come).
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
This manual contains worked-out solutions to all exercises in Chapters 11-16 of CALCULUS: EARLY TRANSCENDENTAL FUNCTIONS, Seventh Edition.
Microsoft® PowerPoint® slides and image library for the entire book, posted on the Instructor Companion Website, let you incorporate images from the book right into your lectures. Also posted on the Instructor Companion site, is the Complete Solutions Manual for Larson/Edwards, Calculus, 11th manual provides complete solutions to all the exercises from the text.
Instructor's Resource Guide
The robust Instructor’s Resource Guide contains an abundance of resources to aid instructors in preparing and presenting text material in a manner that meets their personal preferences and course needs. It provides a variety of tools keyed to the textbook at the section and chapter level, including section objectives, teaching tips, and chapter projects. An electronic version of the Instructor Guide is available on the PowerLecture DVD.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to author, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want. This is available online via www.cengage.com/login.
Student Solutions Manual
This manual contains worked-out solutions for all odd-numbered exercises for Chapters 11-16 in Larson/Edwards' CALCULUS: EARLY TRANSCENDENTAL FUNCTIONS, 7th Edition.