Request for consultation
THE MANAGEMENT OF TECHNOLOGY AND INNOVATION: A STRATEGIC APPROACH explores the fundamental connections linking core business strategy, technology, and innovation. The text illustrates how these functions intertwine to play a central role in process layout, systems, structural design, and product development, as well as supporting an organization's overall success. An integrated approach and reader-friendly style make the material accessible for students of all backgrounds, and the text strikes an ideal balance between essential business theory and extensive practical insights and real-world applications. In addition, the Second Edition has been thoroughly updated to incorporate the latest trends and research, abundant current examples and cases, and a useful set of new tools students can use to support effective strategic decision-making.
- Each section within the text features an entirely new, integrated case focusing on a high-profile company, including General Electric, GlaxoSmithKline, Acer, and Google. The cases provide memorable, highly relevant examples to help students understand the practical applications of key concepts and appreciate their real-world relevance.
- A new appendix dedicated to ethics and corporate social responsibility provides an in-depth look at these topics of widespread current interest in the business world, including their relation to "green" technology.
- The Second Edition features expanded coverage of numerous topics students will need to explore for success in today's dynamic global business environment, including ethics, corporate social responsibility, sustainability, and internal management processes.
- Each chapter concludes with a variety of exercises designed to engage students and help them effectively review and absorb the material. Examples include mini-cases, Web exercises, discussion questions, and application exercises.
- Managerial checklists and guidelines at the end of each chapter give students insight into the real-world considerations managers face when attempting to apply key concepts to common business challenges and opportunities.
- An appendix at the end of each section discusses useful analytical tools and additional concepts to help students build on what they have learned and increase their understanding of technology and innovation management.
- This robust text includes substantial instructor resources to help you plan and manage your course for outstanding results, including a Test Bank, Instructor's Manual, Microsoft® PowerPoint® presentations, and Web resources.
General Electric: Changing with the Times.
1. Management of Technology and Innovation: An Overview.
2. Strategy Process and the Management of Technology and Innovation.
Appendix 1: Social Responsibility and the Management of Technology and Innovation.
Part II: INNOVATION: INTERNAL STRATEGY.
GlaxoSmithKline: Successful Internal Innovation.
3. Innovation: Planning.
4. Internal Innovation: Implementation.
5. Innovation: Evaluation and Control.
Appendix 2: Innovation: Project Management and New Product Development.
Part III: OBTAINING TECHNOLOGY: EXTERNAL STRATEGY.
Acer Group: A Family of Brands.
6. Obtaining Technology: Planning.
7. Obtaining Technology: Implementation.
8. Obtaining Technology: Evaluation and Control.
Appendix 3: Managing Platforms and Portfolios of Technology.
Part IV: BUILDING STRATEGIC MTI SUCCESS.
Google: A Pattern of Success.
9. Building Capabilities for MTI Success.
10. Organizational Learning and Knowledge Management.
Appendix 4: Waves of Innovation and Predicting the Future.
"Easy to read and clear, light, and reasonably priced." - Susanna Khavul, University of Texas at Arlington
"Content suitable for both undergraduate and graduate students … Best on the market." - Scott Droege, Western Kentucky University
"Covers innovation then strategy…nice dovetailing between the two concepts. Text does a good job setting organizational learning." - Terry R. Adler, New Mexico State University
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
MindTap® Management, 1 term (6 months) Instant Access for White/Bruton's The Management of Technology and Innovation
MindTap® Management for White/Bruton's The Management of Technology and Innovation: A Strategic Approach, 3rd Edition is the digital learning solution that powers students from memorization to mastery. It gives you complete control of your course—to provide engaging content, to challenge every individual, and to build their confidence. Empower students to accelerate their progress with MindTap. MindTap: Powered by You. MindTap gives you complete ownership of your content. Reorganized into an all-digital format, this edition moves valuable appendix content into the chapters. Real-World Lens features provide examples that reinforce concepts in the reader. You can customize the interactive syllabi, emphasize key topics, and add your own material or notes in the eBook. MindTap® is also available as a bundle option with the loose-leaf version of The Management of Technology and Innovation.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to: import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.
MindTap Management for The Management of Technology & Innovation, Loose-Leaf Version
MindTap® Management for White/Bruton's The Management of Technology and Innovation: A Strategic Approach, 3rd Edition helps you learn on your terms. INSTANT ACCESS IN YOUR POCKET. Take advantage of the MindTap Mobile App. Read or listen to textbooks and study with the aid of instructor notifications, flashcards, and practice quizzes. MINDTAP HELPS YOU CREATE YOUR OWN POTENTIAL. GEAR UP FOR ULTIMATE SUCCESS. Track your scores and stay motivated toward goals. Whether you have more work to do or are ahead of the curve, you’ll know where you need to focus your efforts. And the MindTap Green Dot will charge your confidence along the way. MINDTAP HELPS YOU OWN YOUR PROGRESS. MAKE THE TEXT YOURS. No one knows what works for you better than you. Highlight key text, add notes, and create custom flashcards. When it’s time to study, gather everything you’ve flagged into a guide you organize.