Request for consultation
Help your students visualize microeconomics principles in action with the most pedagogically rich, complete text on the market--Tucker's MICROECONOMICS FOR TODAY, Eighth Edition. A quick look at this engaging, dynamic text will show you why this is the book that is famous for helping students at all levels of skill and preparation. Written by an award-winning educator recognized for his work in relating basic economic principles to global issues, Irvin Tucker's MICROECONOMICS FOR TODAY continues its strong tradition of presentation using a unique textual and visual learning system. This edition concisely presents and reinforces core concepts, then immediately assesses student comprehension to ensure understanding. You will find the latest information and developments in microeconomics today, presented in an engaging, easy-to-follow format that students can quickly grasp and apply to everyday life. MICROECONOMICS FOR TODAY, Eighth Edition, provides a full complement of instructor resources, including a handy Instructor's Resource CD, new PowerPoint® slides, optional CourseMate website, and complete array of videos. Help your students learn and apply microeconomic principles with the unmatched student-friendly approach in Tucker's MICROECONOMICS FOR TODAY, Eighth Edition. Discover a rich array of online teaching and learning resources to support your course on the Text Companion Website for Tucker's MICROECONOMICS FOR TODAY, Eighth Edition. This dynamic website builds on this edition's content with password-protected teaching resources available to download as you need them, including the Instructor's Manual, Test Bank, and PowerPoint® slides. Interactive tutorial tools help students master concepts from the text.
- NEWLY UPDATED Chapter 9 focuses on power of monopolies: Concepts of monopoly become clear as this edition's Chapter 9 illustrates the concepts of network good, linking economies of scale and monopoly power to student-relevant examples: Facebook and Match.com.
- NEW coverage of poverty and discrimination reflects the latest data: Updates throughout this edition's material on
- Income Distribution, Poverty, and Discrimination (Ch. 12) incorporates the latest figures on family income distribution and poverty rates to keep your presentations as current as possible.
- NEWLY UPDATED "Global Economics" feature explores environmental challenges: Your students examine the challenges of resolving green issues as a new "Global Economics" feature in Ch. 14, "Why is the Climate Change Problem So Hard to Solve?" delves into this topic of growing, critical importance.
- "Analyze the Issue" requires students to test their understanding of principles: These challenging features follow each "Economics in Practice" or "International Economics" insert and test the students' understanding of how content specifically relates to practical microeconomic concepts. Specific, thought-provoking questions can prompt meaningful classroom discussions or be assigned for homework. You will find answers in your Instructor's Manual.
- Unique, fun "Checkpoints" generate student interest and prompt critical thinking: Who says learning microeconomics cannot be fun? Unique, engaging "Checkpoints" throughout this edition spark students' interest while checking their progress using challenging microeconomics puzzles in a game-like style. Your students will enjoy analyzing and answering the intriguing questions, and checking answers at the end of the chapter. Students gain personal satisfaction as they realize they have truly mastered a concept.
- Point-by-point visual summaries highlight key concepts: Each chapter ends with a brief point-by-point summary of key concepts, including miniaturized versions of important graphs and causation chains that illustrate concepts. These useful, quick-reference visual reminders summarize concepts as students finish chapters and offer ideal tools for efficient review and study for quizzes and exams.
- Variety of study questions and problems offer range of difficulty for practice and review: Proven end-of-chapter questions and problems range from straightforward recall of concepts to deeper, thought-provoking applications. Answers to odd-numbered questions and problems appear in the back of the text to give students immediate feedback.
- Practice quizzes and website provide opportunities for student review: Your students can easily prepare for success on quizzes and tests with multiple-choice sections at the end of each chapter that offer questions similar to those in the Test Bank. Students can check answers at the back of the text. The text's Companion Website (http://www.cengage.com/economics/tucker) also provides student tutorials with visual explanations of each correct answer and corresponding page reference from the text. Students even see graphs shift as arrows point to key changes in prices, output, and other variables.
- Chapter Previews pique student interest in specific chapter topics: Each chapter begins with an intriguing Preview that reinforces how the chapter topics work within the overall presentation of the book. Students become microeconomics detectives as they work to solve several engaging microeconomics puzzles within each Preview that require them to actively learn and practice concepts from the chapter.
- Margin definitions provide quick reference to key concepts: To ensure students have an immediate understanding of the most important microeconomics concepts, key topics are highlighted with bold type, defined in the text, and defined again in the margins for easy review and reference.
- Conclusion Statements relate key concepts to other microeconomic concepts: To ensure students truly understand and can apply the main concepts within each chapter, highlighted Conclusion Statements at the end of each chapter section place the material just learned into a larger context and relate it to other chapter concepts. A summary of these Conclusion Statements at the end of each chapter provides an ideal tool for quick review.
- "Economics in Practice" emphasizes the relevance of microeconomic concepts to everyday life: These intriguing boxed inserts introduce student to timely, real-world extensions of microeconomic theory and provide the acid test of "relevance to everyday life." Students explore memorable examples, such as Fred Smith's economics term paper that led to the creation of FedEx. To ensure students clearly understand the microeconomic theories in practice, all applicable concepts are listed. Engaging quotes from newspaper articles over the years demonstrate how microeconomic concepts remain relevant over time.
- "International Economics" highlights the global reach of today's economics: This edition carefully integrates international topics throughout the text using a highly readable, accessible approach specifically designed for students with no previous exposure to international economics. A special global icon in the margin clearly identifies sections that present international economics. Intriguing "International Economics" boxes and the final three chapters of this edition focus entirely to the challenges of international economics.
1. Introducing the Economic Way of Thinking.
Appendix. Applying Graphs to Economics.
2. Production Possibilities, Opportunity Cost, and Economic Growth.
Part II. MICROECONOMIC FUNDAMENTALS.
3. Market Demand and Supply.
Appendix. Consumer Surplus, Producer Surplus, and Market Efficiency.
4. Markets in Action.
Appendix. Applying Supply and Demand Analysis to Health Care.
5. Price Elasticity of Demand and Supply.
6. Consumer Choice Theory.
Appendix: Indifference Curve Analysis.
7. Production Costs.
Part III. MARKET STRUCTURES.
8. Perfect Competition.
10. Monopolistic Competition and Oligopoly.
11. Labor Markets.
Part IV. MICROECONOMIC POLICY ISSUES.
12. Income Distribution, Poverty, and Discrimination.
13. Antitrust and Regulation.
14: Environmental Economics.
Part V. THE INTERNATIONAL ECONOMY.
15. International Trade and Finance.
16. Economies in Transition.
17. Growth and the Less-Developed Countries.
Appendix A Answers to Odd-Numbered Study Questions and Problems.
Appendix B Answers to Practice Quizzes.
Appendix C Answers to Road Map Questions.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access for Tucker's Microeconomics For Today
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to author, edit, and manage test bank content. Create multiple test versions in an instant, and deliver tests from your LMS or in your classroom.