Request for consultation
The most comprehensive guide to highway diesel engines and their management systems available today, MEDIUM/HEAVY DUTY TRUCK ENGINES, FUEL & COMPUTERIZED MANAGEMENT SYSTEMS, Fourth Edition, is a user-friendly resource ideal for students, entry-level technicians, and experienced professionals alike. Coverage includes the full range of diesel engines, from light duty to heavy duty, as well as the most current diesel engine management electronics used in the industry. The extensively updated fourth edition features nine new chapters to reflect industry trends and technology, including a decreased focus on outdated hydromechanical fuel systems, additional material on diesel electric/hydraulic hybrid technologies, and information on the principles and practices underlying current and proposed ASE and NATEF tasks. With an emphasis on today’s computer technology that sets it apart from any other book on the market, this practical, wide-ranging guide helps prepare your students for career success in the dynamic field of diesel engine service.
- The fourth edition features extensive updates throughout the text to reflect the latest diesel engines, computerized management systems, and related technology and practices, preparing students for success in the ever-evolving world of diesel engine service.
- Sixteen new chapters provide up-to-date information on important industry trends and technology, including diesel electric/hydraulic hybrid technologies, as well as principles and practices related to current and future ASE and NATEF tasks.
- Abundant new material provides thorough coverage of important topics such as single and dual actuator EUI systems, traditional and amplified CR systems, biodiesel and alternate fuel systems, exhaust/aftertreatment systems, and cutting-edge troubleshooting and diagnostics.
- The author combines a clear writing style and practical focus with a new, stronger emphasis on universal principles and practices, preparing students to confidently perform a wide array of service tasks involving engines and systems by today’s leading manufacturers, including Bosch, Caterpillar, Cummins, Navistar, Paccar, and Volvo/Mack.
- Applying his extensive experience as an educator and diesel service technician, the author combines exceptional technical accuracy with a highly accessible writing style that engages students and helps them readily master even complex material.
- The text addresses current and proposed ASE and NATEF standards while incorporating relevant mathematics and science material throughout, helping students hone practical, technical skills while building the conceptual knowledge necessary for career success and satisfaction.
- Well-organized into three intuitive, sequential sections, the text provides an in-depth introduction to diesel engine fundamentals before exploring more advanced material on fuel systems, engine management, alternate power, and emissions.
- Without skimping on the theory and principles underlying modern diesel engines and their repair and maintenance, the text emphasizes hands-on applications linked to performance-based learning outcomes, preparing students to apply what they learn in a real-world setting.
- With up-to-date coverage of the latest Tier IV diesel engines, information systems, and electronically guided diagnostics, this detailed text helps students develop the knowledge and skills to enter the modern truck service industry with confidence.
2. Hand and Shop Tools.
3. Personal Safety Equipment.
4. Engine Fundamentals.
5. History of the Heat Engine.
7. Diesel Engine Powertrain Assemblies.
8. Diesel Engine Feedback Assembly.
9. Engine Housing Components.
10. Diesel Engine Lubrication Systems.
11. Engine Cooling Systems.
12. Engine Breathing.
13. Engine Retarders.
14. Engine Service Procedure.
15. Diesel Engine Removal, Disassembly, Cleaning, Inspection and Reassembly.
16. Diesel Engine Run-in and Performance Testing.
Part II: DIESEL FUEL SYSTEMS.
17. Chemistry and Combustion in Diesel Engines.
18. Diesel Fuel Characteristics.
19. Fuel Sub systems.
20. Fuel Injection Basics and Governor Principles.
21. Injector Nozzles.
22. Port Helix Metering Fuel Systems.
23. Inlet Metering Rotary Distributor Pumps.
24. Sleeve Metering Rotary Distributor Pumps.
25. Single Actuator EUI Fuel Systems.
26. Twin Actuator EUI Fuel Systems.
27. HEUI Fuel System.
28. Electronic Unit Pump (EUP) Fuel Systems.
29. HPI-TP Fuel System.
30. Common Rail Fuel Systems.
31. Amplified CR Systems.
Part III: ENGINE MANAGEMENT, ALTERNATE POWER, AND EMISSIONS.
32. Review of Electrical and Electronics Fundamentals.
33. Networking and Communications in the Trucking Industry.
34. Vehicle Computers.
35. ESTs and SIS.
36. Electrical Wiring, Connector, and Terminal Repair.
38. Biodiesel and Alternate Fuels.
39. Electric and Hydraulic Hybrid Drives.
40. Bosch EDC Systems.
41. Caterpillar ADEM Management Systems.
42. Cummins Management Systems.
43. Detroit Diesel DDEC - Management Systems.
44. Navistar Management Systems.
45. Paccar Management Systems.
46. Volvo and Mack Management Systems.
47. Emissions Management.
48. Exhaust Aftertreatment Systems.
49. Failure Analysis.
50. Troubleshooting and Diagnostics.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor’s Companion Web Site
Everything you need for your course in one place! This collection of product-specific lecture and class tools is available online via the instructor resource center at www.cengage.com/login. You'll be able to access and download materials such as PowerPoint presentations, images, instructor’s manual, and a NATEF correlation grid.
Instructor's Resource CD-ROM
Contains a variety of resources to aid instructors in preparing and presenting text material in a manner that meets their personal preferences and course needs. The Instructor’s Resource CD includes PowerPoint slides, Instructor’s Guide, Image Gallery, and a NATEF correlation grid.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate content from the text’s test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.
The student workbook is designed to help the student retain key chapter content. Included are chapter objective questions, key-term definition queries, and multiple choice, fill-in-the-blank, and true-or-false problems, along with an extensive number of NATEF job sheets.
Retain key chapter content with this student-friendly workbook that includes chapter objective questions, key-term definition queries, and multiple choice, fill-in-the-blank, and true-or-false problems, along with an extensive number of NATEF job sheets.