Request for consultation
Consistently praised for its engaging writing style, currency, and visual appeal, MEDIA/IMPACT: AN INTRODUCTION TO MASS MEDIA, 12th Edition focuses students on today's digital mass media industries and support businesses as well as the legal, ethical, social, global, and technological issues that these businesses face every day. The twelfth edition focuses on convergence--how the mass media industries are intersecting to deliver content and how audiences are adapting to the new mass media marketplace. Providing thorough yet balanced coverage, the author grounds her discussion in the business aspects of all the mass media industries, with concise histories of each industry plus an insider's look at what it's like to work in each business. The new edition delivers the most up-to-the-minute coverage available of such emerging topics as digital delivery, net neutrality, media industry consolidation, social media, mobile media, and much more.
- CURRENCY. Reflecting the latest developments from the field, MEDIA/IMPACT: AN INTRODUCTION TO MASS MEDIA, 12th Edition delivers the most up-to-date coverage of current trends and technology affecting the dynamic, rapidly changing media industries. Topics include digital delivery, net neutrality, media industry consolidation, social media, mobile media, and the interplay between mass media and today's society.
- IMPACT BOXES. More than 50 new IMPACT BOXES feature late-breaking topics and trends from the best sources covering the media business, such as Bloomberg, THE NEW YORK TIMES, THE WASHINGTON POST, WIRED, ADVERTISING AGE, THE GUARDIAN, and the Pew Research Center. IMPACT BOXES are divided into five subject areas: Convergence, Money, Profiles, Audience, and Global. Topics include bookless libraries, social media, the growth of Buzzfeed, international music festivals, Netflix-exclusive programming, the relationship between video games and violence in society, and how Millennials consume news.
- SOCIAL MEDIA. Expanded coverage of convergence now includes the increasing importance of mobile media and social media, which have turned cell phones into the fastest-growing media marketplace.
- GRAPHIC ILLUSTRATIONS. Statistical information is beautifully displayed in more than 30 new illustrations that reflect current research on such key topics such the average American's daily media usage, digital and mobile radio, international movie markets, Internet advertising, popular social media sites, and digital-only news sites.
- Located at the end of the book, the Student Resource Media Information Guide is a valuable reference tool packed with hundreds of resources to help students thoroughly explore media topics--and get the most from your course.
- MEDIA/IMPACT: AN INTRODUCTION TO MASS MEDIA's emphasis on the mass media as interconnected businesses helps students see how economic concepts apply in books, newspapers, magazines, recordings, radio, movies, television, and the Internet.
- Bringing text concepts to life, more than 300 carefully selected all-new photos, cartoons, and illustrations throughout the book highlight timely trends and important issues in today's media business.
- A marginal glossary of key terms runs throughout each chapter, giving students concise definitions right where they need them and helping them build a media vocabulary.
- Each chapter features robust concluding materials, including a summary organized by headings that correspond to the chapter's major topics; key terms with related chapter page numbers; critical questions to engage students in analysis of the chapter, helping to deepen their understanding; and a "Working the Web" list of 10 websites with information relevant to the chapter.
- Each industry chapter includes a detailed, illustrated historical TimeFrame of key events to help students understand the progression of mass media.
1. Mass Media and Everyday Life.
2. Books: Rearranging the Page.
3. Newspapers: Mobilizing Delivery.
4. Magazines: Chasing the Audience.
5. Recordings: Streaming Sounds.
6. Radio: Riding New Waves.
7. Movies: Digitizing Dreams.
8. Television: Changing Channels.
9. Internet Media: Widening the Web.
Part II: SELLING THE MESSAGE.
10. Advertising: Catching Consumers.
11. Public Relations: Promoting Ideas.
Part III: CHANGING MESSAGES.
12. News and Information: Staying Connected.
13. Social and Political Issues: Shaping the Arguments.
14. Law and Regulation: Rewriting the Rules.
15. Ethics: Placing Responsibility.
16. Global Media: Discovering New Markets.
Media Information Resource Guide.
"One of the most engaging Mass Communication textbooks. Biagi presents a thorough and balanced exploration of media and its supporting industries. Her writing challenges students to understand the uses of media and the potential future impact that media will have on all of our lives."
"MEDIA/IMPACT is a terrific introductory mass communication textbook, with excellent supplemental materials for instructors and a manageable amount of content for students. The chapters are organized in a way that connects the historical and current trends of the media with the students' lives."
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Web Site
Everything you need for your course in one place! This collection of product-specific lecture and class tools is available online via the instructor resource center at www.cengage.com/login.
Online Instructor's Resource Manual
This detailed manual provides online tools to assist instructors in teaching the course.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.