Request for consultation
Consistently praised for its engaging writing style, currency, and visual appeal, MEDIA/IMPACT focuses students on today's world of digital mass media industries and support businesses as well as the legal, ethical, social, global, and technological issues these businesses face every day. Emphasizing the impact of the media on individuals and in today's society, Biagi grounds her discussion in the business aspects of all the mass media industries, with concise histories of each industry before giving students an insider's look at what it's like to work in each business. The 10th edition of this bestseller covers all aspects of the latest communications technology and their impact on society. Included in the 2013 Update are the most current statistics about all the media industries; detailed, illustrated TimeFrames for each industry; and more than 30 new Media/Impact boxed features featuring coverage of the latest media trends and issues. These Media/Impact boxes cover media money, audience, culture, ethics and people as well as the global reach of the mass media business from sources, including "The New York Times", "Washington Post", "Los Angeles Times", "Bloomberg", "Advertising Age", "The Wall Street Journal", and "The New Yorker".
- More than 30 new Media/Impact boxes, with articles from the most current sources covering the media business, featuring coverage of the latest media trends and issues. These Media/Impact boxes cover media money, audience, culture, ethics and people as well as the global reach of the mass media business from sources including "The New York Times", "Washington Post", "Los Angeles Times", "Bloomberg", "Advertising Age", "The Wall Street Journal", and "The New Yorker".
- Contemporary issues in mass communication come to life in Impact/Action Videos that are now included in the Mass Communication Coursemate. Specialized narration accompany images and videos to tell the story of how mass communication is changing, and changing the world. Learn how social networking empowered the Arab Spring in Communicating Change: Egypt 2011. Discover the importance of - and dangers to - Reporters at Risk. Watch the evolution of 3D TV technology with Living in 3D. Explore the transition of words from print to digital in The Moving Page. These four Impact/Action Videos are matched to chapters throughout the book to expand student understanding of how mass communication impacts today's world.
- A new Media/Impact boxed feature called Impact/Money to emphasize the economic forces driving today's mass media.
- More than 200 carefully selected new photos, cartoons and illustrations throughout the book to illustrate timely trends and important topics in today's media business.
- Expanded treatment of the increasing importance of mobile media, which has turned cell phones into the fastest-growing media marketplace.
- New statistics integrated to reflect the latest research on key issues such as Internet advertising spending, sales of digital content, network news viewership, the top 10 Internet news sites, and the top 10 international cities with public wireless hot spots.
- Popular and proven teaching tools include "Media/Impact: People," "Media/Impact: Culture," "Media/Impact: World," "Media/Impact: Ethics," and "Media/Impact: Audience" boxes that explore important topics through primary sources and real-life examples; a detailed media history timeline; a marginal glossary of important terms in the text; and a directory of media sources combined with a concise guide to media research and Internet resources.
- An emphasis on the mass media as a business helps students see how economic concepts apply in books, newspapers, magazines, recordings, radio, movies, television and the Internet. All statistics are graphically illustrated to promote easy understanding. Industry projections and historical context are highlighted throughout to illuminate the big picture of media past, present, and future.
- The text includes up-to-date coverage of current trends and technology affecting these dynamic and rapidly evolving industries, including digital delivery, media industry consolidation, personalized media, mobile media, and the interplay between mass media and today's culture.
- A full suite of digital resources, available online, includes CourseMate with Ebook featuring interactive TimeFrames, podcasts, student study questions, media career guide, the book's Media Information Guide, and web links to outside media resources.
1. Mass Media and Everyday Life.
2. Books: Rearranging the Page.
3. Newspapers: Expanding Delivery.
4. Magazines: Targeting the Audience.
5. Recordings: Demanding Choices.
6. Radio: Riding the Wave.
7. Movies: Picturing the Future.
8. Television: Changing Channels.
9. Digital Media: Widening the Web.
PART II: SELLING THE MESSAGE.
10. Advertising: Motivating Customers.
11. Public Relations: Promoting Ideas.
PART III: CHANGING MESSAGES.
12. News and Information: Getting Personal.
13. Society, Culture and Politics: Shaping the Issues.
14. Law and Regulation: Rewriting the Rules.
15. Ethics: Placing Responsibility.
16. Global Media: Discovering New Markets.
Media Information Resource Guide.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Web Site
Everything you need for your course in one place! This collection of product-specific lecture and class tools is available online via the instructor resource center at www.cengage.com/login.
Online Instructor's Resource Manual
This detailed manual provides online tools to assist instructors in teaching the course.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.