Request for consultation
MECHANICS OF MATERIALS BRIEF EDITION by Gere and Goodno presents thorough and in-depth coverage of the essential topics required for an introductory course in Mechanics of Materials. This user-friendly text gives complete discussions with an emphasis on "need to know" material with a minimization of "nice to know" content. Topics considered beyond the scope of a first course in the subject matter have been eliminated to better tailor the text to the introductory course. Continuing the tradition of hallmark clarity and accuracy found in all 7 full editions of Mechanics of Materials, this text develops student understanding along with analytical and problem-solving skills. The main topics include analysis and design of structural members subjected to tension, compression, torsion, bending, and more.
- Attention to detail in the presentation of basic concepts and derivations of key equations has been preserved and maintained in this Brief Edition of the full version of Mechanics of Materials, 7th Edition.
- Problem sets reinforce the importance of solving problems as part of the learning process offers almost 700 problems for homework assignments and classroom discussions.
- Specific problems typical of those found on the FE Exam can be found in a separate section in the back of the book.
- Expansive Chapter Summary & Review sections at the end of each chapter include key concepts & associated formulas.
- Photos of actual structures, structural components and systems, are used in selected examples and problems to illustrate the development of simplified analytical models acted on by typical loadings; in many cases, associated free-body diagrams are also provided to guide the student.
- Material from the Appendices and References/Historical Notes of Mechanics of Materials, 7th Edition has been moved online, available to students and instructors for reference.
- Online reference material includes: Additional Chapter: Review of Centroids and Moments of Inertia.Appendix A: Detailed description of the SI and USCS systems of units. Appendix B: Presents the methodology for solving problems in mechanics. Included are topics such as dimensional consistency and significant digits. Appendix C: Provides a listing of commonly used mathematical formulas. Appendix E: Properties of structural-steel shapes in both USCS and SI units.
Introduction to Mechanics of Materials. Normal Stress and Strain. Mechanical Properties of Materials. Elasticity, Plasticity, and Creep. Linear Elasticity, Hooke''s Law, and Poisson''s Ratio. Shear Stress and Strain. Allowable Stresses and Allowable Loads. Design for Axial Loads and Direct Shear. Chapter Summary & Review. Problems
2. AXIALLY LOADED MEMBERS.
Introduction. Changes in Lengths of Axially Loaded Members. Changes in Lengths Under Nonuniform Conditions. Statically Indeterminate Structures. Thermal Effects, Misfits, and Prestrains. Stresses on Inclined Sections. Chapter Summary & Review. Problems.
Introduction. Torsional Deformations of a Circular Bar. Circular Bars of Linearly Elastic Materials. Nonuniform Torsion. Stresses and Strains in Pure Shear. Relationship Between Moduli of Elasticity E and G. Transmission of Power by Circular Shafts. Statically Indeterminate Torsional Members. Chapter Summary & Review. Problems.
4. SHEAR FORCES AND BENDING MOMENTS.
Introduction. Types of Beams, Loads, and Reactions. Shear Forces and Bending , Moments. Relationship Between Loads, Shear Forces, and Bending Moments. Shear-Force and Bending-Moment Diagrams. Chapter Summary & Review. Problems.
5. STRESSES IN BEAMS.
Introduction. Pure Bending and Nonuniform Bending. Curvature of a Beam. Longitudinal Strains in Beams. Normal Stresses in Beams (Linearly Elastic Materials). Design of Beams for Bending Stresses. Shear Stresses in Beams of Rectangular Cross Section. Shear Stresses in Beams of Circular Cross Section. Shear Stresses in the Webs of Beams with Flanges. Composite Beams. Chapter Summary & Review. Problems.
6. ANALYSIS OF STRESS AND STRAIN.
Introduction. Plane Stress. Principal Stresses and Maximum Shear Stresses. Mohr''s Circle for Plane Stress. Hooke''s Law for Plane Stress. Triaxial Stress. Chapter Summary & Review. Problems.
7. APPLICATION OF PLANE STRESS (PRESSURE VESSELS AND COMBINED LOADINGS).
Introduction. Spherical Pressure Vessels. Cylindrical Pressure Vessels. Combined Loadings. Chapter Summary & Review. Problems.
8. DEFLECTIONS OF BEAMS.
Introduction. Differential Equations of the Deflection Curve. Deflections by Integration of the Bending-Moment Equation. Deflections by Integration of the Shear-Force and Load Equations. Method of Superposition. Chapter Summary & Review. Problems.
Introduction. Buckling and Stability. Columns with Pinned Ends. Columns with Other Support Conditions. Chapter Summary & Review. Problems.
APPENDIX A: FE EXAM REVIEW PROBLEMS
ANSWERS TO PROBLEMS
10. REVIEW OF CENTROIDS AND MOMENTS OF INERTIA
REFERENCES AND HISTORICAL NOTES
APPENDIX B: SYSTEMS OF UNITS AND CONVERSION FACTORS
APPENDIX C: PROBLEM SOLVING
APPENDIX D: MATHEMATICAL FORMULAS
APPENDIX E: PROPERTIES OF PLANE AREAS
APPENDIX F: PROPERTIES OF STRUCTURAL-STEEL SHAPES
APPENDIX G: PROPERTIES OF STRUCTURAL LUMBER
APPENDIX H: DEFLECTIONS AND SLOPES OF BEAMS
APPENDIX I: PROPERTIES OF MATERIALS
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Online Instructor's Solutions Manual
Instructor's Companion Website
Discover everything you need for your course in one place. This collection of book-specific lecture and class tools is available with password protection. Access and download the Instructor's Solutions Manual, Lecture Note PowerPoints ® Slides, and much more.