Request for consultation
MATLAB PROGRAMMING WITH APPLICATIONS FOR ENGINEERS seeks to simultaneously teach MATLAB as a technical programming language while introducing the student to many of the practical functions that make solving problems in MATLAB so much easier than in other languages. The book provides a complete introduction to the fundamentals of good procedural programming. It aids students in developing good design habits that will serve them well in any other language that he or she may pick up later. Programming topics and examples are used as a jumping off point for exploring the rich set of highly optimized application functions that are built directly into MATLAB.
- Teaches good programming skills and habits that transfer to any other procedural programming language.
- All MATLAB files and code are available for Instructor's and Students via the companion websites.
- A heavy emphasis is placed on using the built-in MATLAB functions for engineering applications and solving real world type problems.
- "Good Programming Practice" features emphasize good design practices. Examples of good programming practices include the use of proper program headers and data dictionaries in all programs, good commenting, proper program structure, etc.
- "Programming Pitfalls" are also emphasized. This feature highlights the most common errors that beginners make and how to avoid them.
- Uses a five-step program design process employed regularly throughout the text.
- Includes a significant section on 3D plots with an extensive example explaining the importance and operation of the difficult meshgrid function.
- Students learn how to use handle graphics to create simple interactive plots and animations.
- Includes a chapter totally devoted to MATLAB applications commonly used by engineering students. Topics include: Polynomial multiplication and division; Solving system of simultaneous equations; The concept of an ill-conditioned system; Solving underconstrained systems of equations with pseudoinverse; Solving overconstrained systems of equations; Numerical differentiation; Numerical integration; and Solving linear and nonlinear differential equations.
- End-of-chapter exercises are very extensive, and the problems include examples from a wide variety of engineering disciplines.
The Advantages of MATLAB. Disadvantages of MATLAB. The MATLAB Environment. Using MATLAB as a Calculator.
2. MATLAB BASICS.
Variables and Arrays. Creating and Initializing Variables in MATLAB. Multidimensional Arrays. Subarrays. Special Values. Displaying Output Data. Data Files. Scalar and Array Operations. Hierarchy of Operations. Built-in MATLAB Functions. Introduction to Plotting. Examples. MATLAB Applications: Vector Mathematics. MATLAB Applications: Matrix Operations and Simultaneous Equations. Debugging MATLAB Programs.
3. TWO-DIMENSIONAL PLOTS.
Additional Plotting Features for Two-Dimensional Plots. Polar Plots. Annotating and Saving Plots. Additional Types of Two-Dimensional Plots. Using the plot function with Two-Dimensional Arrays.
4. BRANCHING STATEMENTS AND PROGRAM DESIGN.
Introduction to Top-Down Design Techniques. Use of Pseudocode. Relational and Logic Operators. Branches. More on Debugging MATLAB Programs. MATLAB Applications: Roots of Polynomials.
5. LOOPS AND VECTORIZATION.
The while Loop. The for Loop. Logical Arrays and Vectorization. The MATLAB Profiler. Additional Examples. The textread Function. MATLAB Applications: Statistical Functions. MATLAB Applications: Curve Fitting and Interpolation.
6. BASIC USER-DEFINED FUNCTIONS.
Introduction to MATLAB Functions. Variable Passing in MATLAB: The Pass-By-Value Scheme. Optional Arguments. Sharing Data Using Global Memory. Preserving Data Between Calls to a Function. MATLAB Applications: Sorting Functions. MATLAB Applications: Random Number Functions.
7. ADVANCED FEATURES OF USER-DEFINED FUNCTIONS.
Function Functions. Subfunctions and Private Functions. Function Handles. Anonymous Functions. Recursive Functions. Plotting Functions. Histograms.
8. COMPLEX NUMBERS AND 3D PLOTS.
Complex Data. Multidimensional Arrays. Three-Dimensional Plots.
9. CELL ARRAYS, STRUCTURES, AND IMPORTING DATA.
Cell Arrays. Structure Arrays. Importing Data into MATLAB.
10. HANDLE GRAPHICS AND ANIMATION.
Handle Graphics. Position and Units. Printer Positions. Default and Factory Properties. Graphics Object Properties. Animations and Movies.
11 MORE MATLAB APPLICATIONS.
Solving Systems of Simultaneous Equations. Differences and Numerical Differentiation. Numerical Integration—Finding the Area Under a Curve. Differential Equations.
APPENDIX A. ASCII CHARACTER SET
APPENDIX B. ADDITIONAL MATLAB INPUT / OUTPUT FUNCTIONS
MATLAB File Processing. File Opening and Closing. Binary I/O Functions. Formatted I/O Functions. The textscan Function.
APPENDIX C. WORKING WITH CHARACTER STRINGS
APPENDIX D. ANSWERS TO QUIZZES
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor Solutions Manual
Includes solutions to all the problems and exercises from the text.