Request for consultation
BECOMING A MASTER STUDENT, Sixteenth Edition, is all about discovery, intention, and action. As students begin their college education, they embrace a new culture and need new tools to be successful. BECOMING A MASTER STUDENT can be their guide! Tools like the Discovery Wheel, Discovery and Intention Journal System, Power Process articles, Master Student Profiles, and the Kolb Learning Style Inventory will give students a deeper knowledge of themselves and their power to be successful in college. Integrated technology discussions and tips throughout the chapters help today's students navigate the wide variety of web resources and apps that can support them throughout college. And, with this edition, Cengage's MindTap® course will bring all of these assets to one place with an integrated technology solution.
- "Do you have a minute?" boxes in each chapter-opener include specific actions relevant to the chapter concepts that students can take to make a positive change in just one minute.
- Chapter 8: Communicating has a new focus that includes communication, collaboration, and diversity. From numerous strategies for listening actively, managing conflicts, and communicating across new communities and cultures, students learn to hone their interpersonal skills and strengthen relationships.
- Each chapter contains a 10-question quiz to challenge and test students' knowledge of the chapter's concepts.
- Master Student Profiles in every chapter focus on real people who exemplify master student qualities and are relevant to today's students. New master students include Joshua Williams (Chapter 1), Ramit Sethi (Chapter 2), Maria Popova (Chapter 3), Leo Babauta (Chapter 9), and Ben Barry (Chapter 10).
- Journal entries and practicing critical-thinking exercises throughout the text further students' critical thinking, advancing them up the levels of Bloom's Taxonomy. Worksheets have been added to numerous exercises for an easy, engaging, and useful way for students to track their progress on goals, intentions, and future success.
- Practicing Critical-Thinking Exercises. Exercises throughout the chapters help students develop critical thinking and encourage active learning.
- Master Student Profiles. In each chapter, Master Student Profiles contain brief articles about a real person who encompasses master student qualities, with a diverse set including Ramit Sethi, Maria Popova, and Leo Babauta.
- Skills Snapshot. The Skills Snapshot activity ends each chapter. Students link their initial Discovery Wheel answers to what they've learned about the chapter skills and make their intentions for how they plan to implement the skill in their academic success.
- Power Processes. These short, unique motivational articles in the beginning of every chapter emphasize academic success in terms of life skills and behaviors. When students apply the Power Process strategies, they become empowered students in the school of academics, work, and life.
- The Discovery Wheel. The most widely recognized feature of Becoming A Master Student, the Discovery Wheel is an activity where students think about the kind of students they are and the kind of students that they want to become. Its 10 sections correspond to the 10 chapters in the text. Assigned at the outset of the course, this exercise helps students assess their current strengths and weaknesses in different areas of student success. At the end of the course, students will be able to measure their progress by retaking the Discovery Wheel. This popular exercise is available for students to complete in the text or online.
- Learning Style Inventory. Developed by Dr. David Kolb, the LSI helps students discover their preferred learning style. While every individual is capable of employing all four modes in the LSI, most people have a preferred way of learning. The LSI helps students be more aware of their preferred learning style and discover new options for achieving goals, solving problems, listening more fully, speaking more persuasively, and resolving interpersonal conflicts.
- The Discovery and Intention Journal Entry system. As students make their way through the chapters, journal prompts ask students to explain the whys, whats, and hows of applying the chapter skills to themselves in writing, and offers instructors a more specific and measurable form of journal writing than any other text. Students have an opportunity to reflect on their discoveries while setting an plan for action by writing their intentions.
1. Discovering Yourself.
10. Next Steps.
"Becoming a Master Student explores more than just traditional study methods. It allows the student to dig deeper into understanding why they learn the way they do and offers suggestions on how to improve."
"In one word; 'Awesome!'"
"In-depth, challenging, and excellent coverage of skills necessary for success in college and life."
Instructor's Companion Website
Everything you need for your course in one place! This collection of book-specific lecture and class tools is available online via www.cengage.com/login. Access and download PowerPoint presentations, instructor’s manual, test banks, and more.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to: import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.