Request for consultation
Reflecting the latest developments from the field, MASS MEDIA RESEARCH: AN INTRODUCTION, 10e, delivers a comprehensive overview of mass communication research and a thorough exploration of each major approach--including qualitative research, content analysis, survey research, longitudinal research, and experimental research. The text continues with an expansive section on data analysis and concludes with cutting-edge coverage on applying research methods to the primary areas of interest, including print, electronic media, advertising, and public relations. Completely up to date, the Tenth Edition fully integrates social media coverage, ethics, and the impact of merging technology on mass media research. It also provides expanded coverage of online research, the impact of tablets on readership, new advertising channels, social media message analytics, and much more. Available with InfoTrac® Student Collections http://gocengage.com/infotrac.
- Reflecting the latest developments from the field, MASS MEDIA RESEARCH, 10e is packed with up-to-the-minute research, real-world examples, and practical illustrations.
- Chapter 3 "Research Ethics" now features new information on federal rules concerning the use of human subjects. It also offers an insightful discussion about the ethics of doing research involving social media such as Facebook and Twitter.
- InfoTrac® Student Collections are specialized databases expertly drawn from the Gale Academic One library. Each InfoTrac® Student Collection enhances the student learning experience in the specific course area related to the product. These specialized databases allow access to hundreds of scholarly and popular publications - all reliable sources - including journals, encyclopedias, and academic reports. Learn more and access at: http://gocengage.com/infotrac.
- Chapter 7 "Survey Research" includes updated information on the types of survey research, along with expanded sections on Internet (online) research and identifying outliers in all types of research.
- Chapter 13 "Newspaper and Magazine Research" looks at current research concerning the impact of tablet computers--such as the iPad--on newspaper and magazine readership.
- Chapter 14 "Research in the Electronic Media" includes new information about Arbitron's Portable People Meter and other new research considerations related to audience ratings. In addition, an expanded discussion explores respondent verification for all research methods.
- Chapter 15 "Research in Advertising" features expanded and updated discussions about new advertising channels, such as search engines and social media.
- Chapter 16 "Research in Public Relations" now offers a section on social media message analytics, a group of measures becoming more important in public relations research.
- As it thoroughly explores sampling methods, Chapter 4 also spotlights the problems that can occur.
- Chapter 5 "Qualitative Research Methods" features sections on the mixed method technique and "netnography".
- Chapter 6 "Content Analysis" includes a section on framing analysis.
- Comprehensive coverage in Chapter 9 "Experimental Research" includes discussions of how to minimize drop-outs in online experiments.
- The clear presentation of Degrees of Freedom in Chapter 12 "Basic Statistical Procedures" eliminates the usual confusion with the concept.
- Offering a current definition of mass media, Chapter 1 "Science and Research" presents smart media as a sub-category of mass media as well as provides thorough discussions of the new mass media.
- Chapter 2 "Elements of Research" includes up-to-date examples and discussions of various measurements instruments.
PART I: THE RESEARCH PROCESS.
1. Science and Research.
2. Elements of Research.
3. Research Ethics.
PART II: RESEARCH APPROACHES.
5. Qualitative Research Methods.
6. Content Analysis.
7. Survey Research.
8. Longitudinal Research.
9. Experimental Research.
PART III: DATA ANALYSIS.
10. Introduction to Statistics.
11. Hypothesis Testing.
12. Basic Statistical Procedures.
PART IV: RESEARCH APPLICATIONS.
13. Newspaper and Magazine Research.
14. Research in the Electronic Media.
15. Research in Advertising.
16. Research in Public Relations.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Online Instructor's Manual
Packed with resources designed to streamline and maximize the effectiveness of your course preparation, this helpful manual includes chapter overviews, class-tested activities and exercises, technology resources, test items, and assessment tests. Each chapter includes a chapter overview and true/false, multiple choice, fill-in-the-blank, and essay test items. Many quiz and exam questions are new to the 10th edition.